Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2018 2:02:42 AM EDT
Yup, that's right.  I am too scared to paint my AR.  I still can't convince myself to destroy one of my rifles so I had the idea to do something that's temporary and won't leave a mark if I decide I want to start over.  I decided to wrap my AR with duct tape.  I chose my hunting AR for the test subject, since it would help to have a camo job on it.  I had the idea from cars that had vinyl wrap on them and can simply remove them whenever its time.  Let me know what you think.  I'm still not going to paint any of them.

I know its not perfect but it doesn't have to be if I'm far away and somewhat concealed with the environment.  I could touch it up a bit more but I think I'm done with it for now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
im on the fence too but i masked off an older bolt action savage .22 (pre fsrv) that im gonna rattle can for practice
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You can always remove paint. Now some people have said that it leaves pigment in the anodizing even after removal.

You can always get a matte clear can and spray it down as a primer base. Allow it to cure (or even re-coat again), then go to town.
Then the pigments wouldn't be directly on the anodizing.

Heck unless it's a high dollar, or has high dollar components that you might resell, I can see the fear. (I still have that on optics that I might
sell off to upgrade, etc.)

Other than that it's an AR...... as liberal's refer to it as a 'weapon of war' ...... have at it
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Man grow a pair, that tape looks like something Bevis and Butthead would have tried. Just try some paint and if it doesn't work paint over it. Worst case buy another gun, they're cheap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Paint it! Are you ever going to sell it? Once you paint one, you're gonna paint more.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t equate painting a rifle to “destroying” it, might not be for everybody and that’s ok. You could always practice on a cheap airsoft gun or some mags first. McNett also makes camo tape that doesn’t leave any adhesive residue behind after you remove it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like the tape but if you're happy with it then that's what matters.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, and it's 'Duck' tape.

That shit's going to get sticky as hell, especially on the plastic parts.

The adhesive will stat attacking the plasticizers, causing them to leach, and will eventually cause the plastic to become brittle
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Woof.  That duck tape is bad.

Painting really isn't that scary.  Its not that hard.  If you are concerned about painting you can start with just the rifle and not paint the optic, but I would just go for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you everyone for your opinions, advice, and honesty.  None of my black rifles will be for sale so I will continue to find ways to improve on them.  I just can't get myself to paint any of them.  I didn't put much effort in this project because it looks half assed.  Probably took me an hour with multiple distractions and breaks.  If I don't like it I can always peel it off, its that simple.  That is why I'm scared to paint.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
That tape looks bad....like really bad.  You may also have to worry about left over adhesive residue if you leave it on there for any length of time.

I say just paint it if you have no plans on selling.  Painting doesn't destroy anything and can be fairly easily removed.

If not, take a look at McNett Camo Form.  It's sort of like self clinging medical tape (it doesn't have any adhesive).  You can do pretty much the whole rifle in it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The longer you leave it on, the more adhesive crap you are going to have to scrub off later.  You are already looking at prob about an hour with some Goof-Off and scrubbing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The longer you leave it on, the more adhesive crap you are going to have to scrub off later.  You are already looking at prob about an hour with some Goof-Off and scrubbing.
View Quote
I had that tape on my Benelli SBE for just a month.  It was a bitch to get it off.  There are two types of goof off, one will remove dried paint and melt plastic, the other barely works.  I recall one is the "safe" version.

I used mineral spirits. Denatured alcohol is good too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, tape leaves a mess, get the wrap if you're too scared to paint.  Honestly, have a couple of beers and grab the paint cans.  It's removable if you don't like it and ARs are a dime a dozen anymore so it's not like resale value is a big thing with them unless you've got some rare parts.  Too many uptight people and people who think they need some sort of perfect pattern- whatever that is.  I wouldn't enter mine in any paint competitions but they work fine where I hunt and goofing off in the woods.  Even just painting it old school OD green is better in the woods than black.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm changing my vote to you should hydro dip it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I ain't scared.....

It ain't paint either, it's Cerakote.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top