Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2018 7:32:40 PM EDT
I suspect this will either be ignored, or a shitshow. But... I'm sick of being disorganized at the range.

I currently have a really big bag, in it and basically floating in one of three compartments lives my eyes, ears, spare ears, tools, shot timer, batteries for whatever I might own, ammo, stapler and ammo, whatever holstered handguns I'm using that day with it's mags floating around, mag carriers, etc.  I need a better system.

In my head I want one bag per gun. Handgun bag should hold that gun's specific tools, it's mags, silencer, etc anything I need for that gun should be stored with the gun. This prohibits really small bags for each gun that hold it with 5 mags.

For rifles I want the same thing. My bag when I shoot precision rifle also needs to fit my log book, spotting scope, etc etc.

I'm learning towards the idea of entirely self-contained go bags. That for the range I need the Sig bag and the Range bag, and that's all. I could instruct with my range bag, but couldn't shoot anything. I won't have glock mags rolling around from last week if I'm doing AR drills, etc.

.... I know I'm asking a stupid question and will get nothing but subjective answers.... how do you stay organized? And what works for you?

EDIT:  I'm 0% interested in taking 5 handguns to the range at any time. I take one. Maybe I take a my AR or MP5 with a handgun, shooting precision I don't take a handgun at all. For example. So those packs that have like 6 spots for handguns, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the (large) midway range bag.  Well, I have 3 technically.  2 for range stuff and 1 for work.  I've had the range ones for atleast 7 or 8 years.  1 is my just going to go shoot in general, rifle, handgun, shotgun, ect..  has basic stuff in it..  hearing pro, targets, tape/staple gun.  The other bag is for when I'm going out with any of my precision rifles. Mostly setup for reloading boxes, chrono, data books, note cards, ext.  The one I have for work is about 5 years old.  The work 1 gets WAY more used and abused then either of the range ones.  Only thing wrong is the crappy pull strings attached to the zippers on the bag.  They all broke withing weeks.  I just replaced them with zip-tie loops and been good ever since.   I'm sure there are way nicer bags out there, but for the price you cant go wrong.

Edit:
My g/f has her own range bag.  It's about the size of a small purse.  I wanna say she won it at Cabelas a few Christmas's ago. Nothing crazy.  She can put her eyes and ears in it, a few 100 count ammo boxes and some extra mags.  That's about it.  But for what she does, its plenty and if she needs anything she just goes through my range bag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been using an LA police gear jumbo bail out bag for years and it has served me very well. Lots of pockets and compartments for anything I may need and it allows me to bring three pistols with no fuss. I carry my mags and ammo separately in an MTM ammo box.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifles are in dragbags, my main rifle also has a backpack...pistols get thrown in the backpack as needed...

AIM 55 dragbag..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Drago Ranger backpack...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My range bag employs a clever bit of misdirection.   I think it's funny.

It looks a lot like this:

Yeah, an EMS bag.   Nobody'd expect one of THOSE to be full of ammo, right?  

Drugs, maybe.  But not ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In my head I want one bag per gun. Handgun bag should hold that gun's specific tools, it's mags, silencer, etc anything I need for that gun should be stored with the gun. This prohibits really small bags for each gun that hold it with 5 mags.
View Quote
In theory, that's the best idea.  The challenge isn't at the range, it would be storage at home.  If you have the space to organize that way, it's a great idea.  Close along those lines, I was thinking about consolidating to a half-dozen range bags (for pistols), keeping them to "like" pistols for parts, mags, etc...such as CZ bag, Sig Bag, Glock Bag, Revolver bag...

I do like a good multi-handgun bag when I'm working with a new shooter or my son invites a friend.  Rifles are pretty much kept in hard-cases or drag bags; other accessories, I actually just load up a Eberlestock Gunslinger pack.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I now use a pull-behind tool box from home depot. Put a 240 sling on it.

All my 'range stuff' lives in it. All I have to do is grab a bag with the guns, and a bag with the ammo, and I'm set. I can work on it, sit on it, etc, etc. Looks stupid, but honestly, it's the greatest solution I've ever had at this point.

I went an looked. Dis right here:

You can keep one side folded, and sit on it, and get in the box as well as use the extended side to stage stuff.

i got a tube drafters use to roll targets up in, and used velcro OneWraps to attach it to one side. Pretty nifty once it came together  
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one bag of optic related tools and other odds and ends for zeroing optics, and then a range bag with mags for each caliber I take

If I'm shooting 5.45, 5.56 and 7.62 I grab my main range bag, spotting scope, then a mag bag for each caliber along with the rifles and I'm good
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to have one bag for the range but it's probably not going to happen.

I have a large range bag with ears, eyes, tools, shot timer, etc., and room for 4 pistols.
Also take a small backpack with targets, staple gun, and range book.
I have an old tackle box for hangun ammo, but if I take .22s that's another ammo box.
Then yet another ammo box for AR ammo, and a long gun case....
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Midway USA Large range bag.  I have used this bag for 4 years now and it's held up great.  At one time I carried 9 handguns in it to the range, as well as ammo, mags, tools, ear and eye pro.  Awesome bag for the price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Simple Allen range bag holds two handguns, ammo, ears ect.
Soft two rifle case with side pocket

I take two long guns and two handguns (plus my CC) when I go to the range, no more no less
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a mix between old school and high power shooter,

old school as in when I go, ammo for whatever goes in one bag,
ammo, boxed or bagged,  may a speed loader or extra pistol mags,

medium sized bag, (I rarely take more than a few guns at a time,

ears, eyes, etc are stored in my high power stool,  along with clipboard(1/2sized) log, pen, pencil, OBI's AR mags, etc ,
just like I am shooting a match

mat rolled up,

I keep the spotting scope loose in it's own cover, and the stand taken apart ( freeland's bipod or freeland's tripod, I have one ea) in a M60 barrel bag
the extra pockets on the barrel bag have a multitool, cleaning gear, and a few extra mags if needed

match rifle has a dedicated case, (ancient Assault System bag,  that looks like new despite being used for 30yrs) that also has mags in the pocket, and whatever may be needed

rest of the rifles go in whatever case is handy,
pistols in a rug and usually in the bag for ammo,

I do have a pistol box,  but that will be used if and when I ever get to shoot some Bullseye (different topic/conversation as far as range trips and bag needs)

I've learned from shooting high power how to transport the stool, stand, mat, rifle and coat (and ammo etc) with out a cart or vehicle and not drop anything ,

but usually the vehicle is just a few feet away
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
http://tacticaltogo.com

I use these. Cheap and it keeps things organized.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used range bags, but I just happen to prefer plastic stacking containers. I have a milk crate with my spotting scope, tripod, a screw driver kit, rest, stapler, ear/eye protection and a roll of targets. This crate is ready to go. I pack it back up when I leave the range so it is ready for my next trip.

For my rifles and handguns, I have a smaller milk-crate type of plastic bin, Akro-Mils Straight Wall Container (37288). It's a little smaller than a typical milk crate and easier to handle. I keep this filled with magazines and ammo for the stuff I am using at the time. The bins are not as easy to tote around as a nylon range bag, but I can stack them up easily when I store them and all my gun stuff is consolidated in one place. And they can hold a good amount of weight even when stacked a few high.

So for me, 1 or 2 crates in the trunk, a few cased rifles, and off to the range in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I would also suggest the Midway pistol and rifle range bags.  Keep your eye out for sales.  For individual bags, I have bought the Midway $10 pistol bags for the 22's.  They make steel challenge easier.  Everything gets locked in the safe when I am done so I don't need to store the pistols in there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Midway large bag lives in the back of my SUV. it has general tools, car tools, water, bungies, etc for general life. one compartment keeps eyes, ears, some ammo, 10/22 mags. My 10/22 lives in the truck as well. This way I can stop at the range and pop off a few rounds whenever I want, without gearing up and crap. but when I want to work specifically:

Safariland 3 gun soft case. great organization, holds anything I own. I have had an AR with 3 uppers and another rifle in there, and it has seperate parts for pistols and mag storage.
Ammo goes in a backpack (Rush 12 or 24 depending how much I need). I have a pistol bag that holds 2 pistols and 5 mags or some mags and a can or whatever, I just fill it up with whatever I'm taking that day.

I got tired of having too much crap, so I cut down and focused on carry and competition. That way I can make something happen without 8 trips to the car and back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top