BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, see post #21. I punched it in a ballistic calculator (factoring for a 16” barrel).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a 6 MRAD diameter donut-hole?

I don't happen to speak MRAD / Mildot yet, what does that translate to at 300yd/300m? Is that consistent with the inner circle being ~5'7-5'10 average man's height?

https://i.redd.it/4hrl9paxq5i71.jpg

Yes, see post #21. I punched it in a ballistic calculator (factoring for a 16” barrel).

Awesome, thanks man. So Donut of Death is still on the menu.

Thats my second favorite aspect of the factory optics besides the aesthetic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's my biggest problem with this setup so far.  The piggybacked red dot is at an ok height, but the optic is too low, even without ear pro.  Maybe I'll give the riser a try when they get them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's my biggest problem with this setup so far.  The piggybacked red dot is at an ok height, but the optic is too low, even without ear pro.  Maybe I'll give the riser a try when they get them.

I agree it’s definitely a lower cheek weld than most and is a little leas comfortable. So y’all got me curious and when I got home I tried it with my Peltor Comtacs, my ACH, and my Ops Core helmet with attached Peltors. I’ve got relatively low cheek bones and a rounder face and surprisingly, no issues with the earpro or helmet interfering. Of course, YMMV depending on your facial structure/head shape.

Quoted:

Awesome, thanks man. So Donut of Death is still on the menu.

Thats my second favorite aspect of the factory optics besides the aesthetic.

I’m going Sunday morning to zero everything and depending on the weather holding up, I’ll stretch it out on the 600y range and try to confirm those holds.

On another note - I had to remove the receiver side rail to make room for my holosun light/IR laser and it left the two gaping holes above the carrier extension on the piston side. I didn’t like the idea of dirt getting in there so I found some M6x1 threaded plugs and cut them down to length to fill the holes flush on both sides, filed them flat and hit them with a little black paint, then installed with some threadlocker. I left the slotted side of the insert on the interior of the receiver so it would be flat and flush with the top. Just an idea for anyone who may want or need to do the same.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
slick work on the repair Super_Trouper!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a unique opportunity
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Is anyone able to discern how many are left in stock?

Need to know if I can wait a month or if I better start selling something now for optics money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Need to know if I can wait a month or if I better start selling something now for optics money.
View Quote

Steyr US currently has 404, and V1 tactical will be stocking some too. I suspect these will last a few months, but once they sell out they'll probably be tough to get in the future.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be fair Steyr Austria considers the 70mm railed scopes 'SF scopes' as well. The lower 60mm scopes just sort of took over the 'SF' name here in the States.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Gen 1 SF optic is green, yes. Also has picatinny on the forward side sections, the rails are non removable, and there’s no accessory rail on the bottom right side. The reticle is a circle crosshair with two stadia lines below the main crosshair.

This optic has been seen used on the new updated STG77-A1 rifles that Austria is getting. Steyr USA has labeled and sold them as SF optics - whether they are or not only time will tell.

But, I would think that the JK corps rifles would get updated at the same time  or before standard line and reserve units.

To be fair Steyr Austria considers the 70mm railed scopes 'SF scopes' as well. The lower 60mm scopes just sort of took over the 'SF' name here in the States.

I run the standard A3M1 integrated scope with 3x.  Which I guess is close to what this one is; just taller than the SF model.  That, and mine doesn't have the QD mount point.  Donno of I'd ever run a sling point on my optics system personally.   I'm happy with the conventional unit.  Personally, I like the height, and think it's good for stand up shooting.  I don't realty want it to be lower.

Hers the conventional stock A3M1 3x reticle capture via cell phone, on an IDPA target at 200 yards.

And here it is in action - I post an image clip to indicate how the height works to a couple different folks running it.

https://rumble.com/v2jp77c-czech-lady-running-a-steyr-aug-in-the-usa-first-time-to-fire-a-modern-rifle.html

https://rumble.com/v2jp6i2-steyr-aug-running-an-action-bay-speed-run.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I run the standard A3M1 integrated scope with 3x.  Which I guess is close to what this one is; just taller than the SF model.  That, and mine doesn't have the QD mount point.  Donno of I'd ever run a sling point on my optics system personally.   I'm happy with the conventional unit.  Personally, I like the height, and think it's good for stand up shooting.  I don't realty want it to be lower.

Hers the conventional stock A3M1 3x reticle capture via cell phone, on an IDPA target at 200 yards.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRrmdf89/20211003-120157.jpg

And here it is in action - I post an image clip to indicate how the height works to a couple different folks running it.

https://rumble.com/v2jp77c-czech-lady-running-a-steyr-aug-in-the-usa-first-time-to-fire-a-modern-rifle.html

View Quote

If you run the AUG scope as the primary you're much better off with the standard 70mm height. The only reason to run the lower 60mm scope is if you want to piggyback a RDS on top. The scope is less comfortable to use and is intended to be secondary to the RDS on top.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Steyr US currently has 404, and V1 tactical will be stocking some too. I suspect these will last a few months, but once they sell out they'll probably be tough to get in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you run the AUG scope as the primary you're much better off with the standard 70mm height. The only reason to run the lower 60mm scope is if you want to piggyback a RDS on top. The scope is less comfortable to use and is intended to be secondary to the RDS on top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/fRrmdf89/20211003-120157.jpg

Yeah, basically I think of it has having an NVG height red dot with the benefit of a better long-range option than using a 3x magnifier.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Looks great!

Did it come with the scope covers or did you add them, and if so which ones did you use?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn’t come with scope covers. I had a couple Aimpoint M2 rear covers that fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What red dot is everyone going with on top? I have an Aimpoint M2, but the T2 seems less bulky.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What red dot is everyone going with on top? I have an Aimpoint M2, but the T2 seems less bulky.
View Quote

I'm going with a 30mm option (most likely a PRO with a FDE rubber cover).

I was thinking a Micro T2 but I find the window to be a little small with the 60mm height; if it were 70mm I would probably go Micro. I also prefer the classic look of the 60mm height of the SF and the Comp M2/M3 with rubber cover.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I have multiples of every version of optic and reticle made by Steyr, and these new SF optics are excellent. It has VERY good optical clarity and brightness. Zero edge distortion or fishbowling effect common in the M1 skinny scope tubes :( and only the absolute slightest amount of chromatic aberration. Light gathering is also excellent having looked through it at night. Of all the factory optics, I rate the SF glass just below the original swarovski tubes and better than anything available so far this century in the US market. My picture does not do the glass quality justice. Compared to the swaros, the color doesn't pop as well and the image is flat without the depth that swaro is so good at even in these little 14mm tubes.

Tree is ~100 yards, mountain is 11.4 miles. 6:30 pm, hazy and cloudy conditions. Picture taken with an old moldy potato.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have multiples of every version of optic and reticle made by Steyr, and these new SF optics are excellent. It has VERY good optical clarity and brightness. Zero edge distortion or fishbowling effect common in the M1 skinny scope tubes :( and only the absolute slightest amount of chromatic aberration. Light gathering is also excellent having looked through it at night. Of all the factory optics, I rate the SF glass just below the original swarovski tubes and better than anything available so far this century in the US market. My picture does not do the glass quality justice. Compared to the swaros, the color doesn't pop as well and the image is flat without the depth that swaro is so good at even in these little 14mm tubes.

Tree is ~100 yards, mountain is 11.4 miles. 6:30 pm, hazy and cloudy conditions. Picture taken with an old moldy potato.
https://i.imgur.com/LkVzMQR.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the writeup man.

I'm definitely snagging 1-2 of these.

How comfortable do you find the 60mm height, and have you tried it with a piggy back RDS?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Snagged one and a riser.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks for the writeup man.

I'm definitely snagging 1-2 of these.

How comfortable do you find the 60mm height, and have you tried it with a piggy back RDS?
View Quote

It's low, but workable because you have the stock's slant for cheekweld. I wouldn't recommend the 60mm height for someone not intending to put a red dot on top unless your head is the size of a grapefruit.

I've tried using the 70mm railed scopes with an rmr on top and that was much too high for comfort. I'll be using an m68 on it but I don't have a low enough mount yet. I want something nice but also as low as possible and I haven't looked around to see what there is. If anyone is doing the same with the comp/pro/etc please post what you plan to use as a mount.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's low, but workable because you have the stock's slant for cheekweld. I wouldn't recommend the 60mm height for someone not intending to put a red dot on top unless your head is the size of a grapefruit.

I've tried using the 70mm railed scopes with an rmr on top and that was much too high for comfort. I'll be using an m68 on it but I don't have a low enough mount yet. I want something nice but also as low as possible and I haven't looked around to see what there is. If anyone is doing the same with the comp/pro/etc please post what you plan to use as a mount.
View Quote

Use what Austria uses on the M68… the ARMS #22 M68 mount.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Even if it’s “correct”, I won’t use dick swan products.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/-/219-179975/?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Even if it’s “correct”, I won’t use dick swan products.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/-/219-179975/?
View Quote

Interesting link. Even the flattest pancake has two sides.

Regardless, are you planning on putting it through continuous military use? If not, I don’t get how a 20% failure rate in a pretty rugged sniper training course in the US Army translates in the mount breaking at a two gun match you might use it for. It’s Mil Spec and been in use for decades across many military and government users.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Even the flattest pancake has two sides.
View Quote

I'm stealing that line
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top