Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2020 8:02:49 PM EDT
583-869xx. 2 mags, one LEO marked, in box, not many rounds through it, someone polished the hammer a bit. Rack number intact. $629 + transfer

I always wanted a mini. This is a real neat piece. I didnt touch the sites, and I laughed at the launched brass and overall FUN I had. Accuracy was great for what i expected! Rumor has it from the mag etching its WSPC. And YES, I have my Samson sidefolder on order (but i also LOVE the tupperware black on SS look!)

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome! Did you grab that at Clyde's Armory?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks awesome! Did you grab that at Clyde's Armory?
View Quote
Yessir! Good people too. Shipped fast, cant believe it was in box too!

They have a few different styles in stock. I need a blued one! Lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yessir! Good people too. Shipped fast, cant believe it was in box too!

They have a few different styles in stock. I need a blued one! Lol.
View Quote
I've been eyeing those... I have a line on a similar stainless Tactical Mini 30. If that falls through, I'm going for the Mini-14 like you. I have one already, but I want a Tactical as well.

Yours looks like it's in excellent shape. The price is definitely right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wont be long until you can get a new folder for it
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Be advised, your Mini is from the Wisconsin Dept of Corrections.

Clydes confirmed that is where they came from.

Some have further markings indicating what facility in the WI. Dept.

Wisconsin DOC traded in/sold their Mini-14 carbines state wide to Clydes.

They all came with two mags. I can identify what facility one my mags came from but chances are the mags were just thrown together and not indicative to where the carbine came from.

The box you got is not for that carbine SN correct?  Factory end label different with black marker of the one they shipped written on box.  That should be the case for most or all of them.

I picked up a wood stocked SS Mini-GB a few months ago from them for $499.

Exceptional service.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And YES, I have my Samson sidefolder on order (but i also LOVE the tupperware black on SS look!)
View Quote
Looks like you have things under control. Carry on

I want one in 300 blackout for some reason
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be advised, your Mini is from the Wisconsin Dept of Corrections.

Clydes confirmed that is where they came from.

Some have further markings indicating what facility in the WI. Dept.

Wisconsin DOC traded in/sold their Mini-14 carbines state wide to Clydes.

They all came with two mags. I can identify what facility one my mags came from but chances are the mags were just thrown together and not indicative to where the carbine came from.

The box you got is not for that carbine SN correct?  Factory end label different with black marker of the one they shipped written on box.  That should be the case for most or all of them.

I picked up a wood stocked SS Mini-GB a few months ago from them for $499.

Exceptional service.

https://i.imgur.com/pef3Bdd.jpg
View Quote
My box matches:

Yes, the one LEO marked mag has "WSPF" Etched on the rear spine, and "SMCI" on the side. Thats the well worn one. Thanks for clarifying! I love the history.

I also want a 300blk one. Would be great with my ghost M can!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My box matches:
https://i.postimg.cc/MKPctzj3/IMG-20200130-212656845.jpg

Yes, the one LEO marked mag has "WSPF" Etched on the rear spine, and "SMCI" on the side. Thats the well worn one. Thanks for clarifying! I love the history.
https://i.postimg.cc/QMrjJzSn/IMG-20200130-202918333.jpg

I also want a 300blk one. Would be great with my ghost M can!
View Quote
No that is the label Clyde's put on it or had put on it, it is not the Ruger label that the carbine originally shipped with. That is 100% for certain. It is likely their in store inventory label. Mine is the same  Clydes inventory matches the carbine but the box factory label does not. Like I said I am 100% sure that is a Clyde label.
The Ruger label is a large factory label with lots of info on it. Similar to the one below, but many different ones are used.

Some owners did get Carbines engraved with the facility which some people hate and some love.

It is just a guess that the mags were mixed. My 2 came from two different facilities.

SMCI is the Super Max SMCI in Boscobel, Wisconsin. Is where that mag was.
WSPF is the same prison.

More info about Clydes selling them here.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-I-just-bought-a-Mini-14/5-2265562/?page=1

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok gotcha. Thanks for the clarity.

I am totally a Mini-14 newbie. Just dove straight in, overjoyed i got a low mileage 583- (only thing i track is getting a good SN range), and im ok with no engraving marking on the Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
delete double tap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
SMCI is the Super Max SMCI in Boscobel, Wisconsin. Is where that mag was.
WSPF is the same prison, same site.

Mags were there. Carbine?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice score, the government model minis are the best of the breed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
They are fun guns. Yours shoots better groups then the one I had. It's a keeper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice score, the government model minis are the best of the breed.
View Quote
That is a Tactical 5819 not a GB (Government Barrel) as they were previously made.

5819 is still in current production.

GBs usually refer to a Barrel with a hider and bayonet lug.

Technically you could make the case that it is a GB since Ruger uses GB in its catalog number that is assigned to it.

KM-14/20GBCP

Lets call them new model GBs.

This is further proof that GB never indicated B for bayonet. B is for barrel. 5819s have no bayonet lug.

A lot of people think GB is for Government Bayonet. Actually GB indicates Government Barrel.

Beautiful prison trade though. I like it.

Put a Samson folder on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a samson folder pre-ordered.

I have not been able to replicate the groups from the first post.

25yds is 1" very tight.
50yds is 1-2", decently tight
100yds is no smaller than 3"

I put an aimpoint on a front ruger ring, groups are the same size, and it shot the mount loose in about 15rnds.

Its SUPER fun but def minute of barn. The internet doesnt lie. The group also wanders right on me. I zeroed @50, went to 100, missed em all, went back to 50, and it was about 3" right.

It makes the 91/30's i had look good. I was hiping for 3moa all day, but thats def nowhere near possible. And i shoot sub moa with my SPR clones so this feels terrible.

Still love it but its basically a 0-50yd rifle. Pretty terrible

-ill see about tryng a gas reduction kit. It chucks brass really far. Im open to tinkering if its inexpensive. An accustrut isnt. Lol
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got my late LEO GB at Clydes too.

Its waiting patiently for a repro folder.

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice! They all seem to be in great shape.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice! They all seem to be in great shape.
View Quote
They have seen use and years but for the price are outstanding!

Still some left I think.

Give them a call. You may find something out of stock on website but still in the store.

They went the extra steps and found a wood GB for me in the store when they were out of stock.

Outstanding service.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Still some left I think.

Give them a call. You may find something out of stock on website but still in the store.

They went the extra steps and found a wood GB for me in the store when they were out of stock.

Outstanding service.
View Quote
They seem to be good people!

-i decided to degass my mini...the gas port bushing was about .095". I made anew one from a grade 8 bolt to .046". It reduced the brass chucking from 25ft to about 10-12ft. Im going to make another @.035"  and try to really get a nice ejection, reduce brass damage and keep it reliable on my 55gr-69gr .223 handloads. been running my 25.2gr H335 over 55gr. its a Super easy job on the lathe :)

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They seem to be good people!

-i decided to degass my mini...the gas port bushing was about .095". I made anew one from a grade 8 bolt to .046". It reduced the brass chucking from 25ft to about 10-12ft. Im going to make another @.035"  and try to really get a nice ejection, reduce brass damage and keep it reliable on my 55gr-69gr .223 handloads. been running my 25.2gr H335 over 55gr. its a Super easy job on the lathe :)

https://i.postimg.cc/wxhwj5Kz/IMG-20200205-184436833.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGdt1qsR/IMG-20200207-161102478.jpg
View Quote
What kind of steel are you using to cut that grade 8 bolt ??  Or are you using carbide ??
kwg
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Still some left I think.

Outstanding service.
View Quote
+1 The store(s) (There is also one in Macon, GA) and they are good to deal with, always have some things that are different or LE trades, etc. that are not on website.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What kind of steel are you using to cut that grade 8 bolt ??  Or are you using carbide ??
kwg
View Quote
Just a carbide rougher. They were like 5/16 YKK used socket heat cap screws
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Alright, I ordered one. I've wanted a stainless tactical version. This will probably be the cheapest way to do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alright, I ordered one. I've wanted a stainless tactical version. This will probably be the cheapest way to do it.
View Quote
Agreed! To all of it.

OK:
I made another insert, with a bevelled .040" #60 drill this time. .180" DIA, .280"OAL.

Brass is ejecting in a nice pile, 3 o clock, 5ft away. (Like it should have from the factory!) Very happy with this :). Same as AR15's....2x more gas than needed to work great.

Ill check accuracy when i have more time. Its SO MUCH SOFTER to shoot!

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got the tracking number, should be here Monday. I paid by MO, so the delay is my fault. Can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Apparently FedEx is delivering it today now. Even better!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#27]
There are a few simple things you can do to get your Mini under 2 MOA with just about any ammo, even close to 1 MOA with ammo the carbine prefers.
Reducing excess gas, Wilson 1911 buffers, 5 minute "Credit Card" shim to tighten the action in the stock, improve on the mediocre factory crown, and the GunDoc trigger job.
The LE model has the benefit of already having a shorter (stiffer) barrel and a flash hider, which both help to reduce accuracy robbing harmonics and barrel whip.

If you desire the knowledge to get the most out of your Mini and make it a very sweet shooter, go to perfectunion.com's Mini section, the very best collection of Mini knowledge out there.
My first couple of Mini's in the 70's and 80's were in the "minute of barn" category, had I not discovered perfectunion about 8 years ago I'd still believe the Mini was only capable of sub par accuracy.

Once I discovered the Mini-30 in 7.62 x 39, I forgot all about my Mini-14 and sold it. I found 3 older Mini-30's, gave one to my daughter and still have 2 of them.
I also have a PSA AR in x39 (KS-47) and while it is slightly, very slightly more accurate than the Mini's, I much prefer the feel of the Mini.
Those LE models are nice, but two things I'd so to them right away, are :
1)  ditch the fugly Ruger handguard and get a Choate. Only $15, the Choate is lighter, trimmer, better cooling and not 100% goofy looking like the lawyer mandated Ruger handguard. No one has EVER hurt their finger tips by not having the op-rod covered, that's just Ruger covering their asses.
2) while the Ruger factory peep is serviceable, take it off and replace with a Tech sight. The Tech is much easier to adjust and gives a better sight picture.
Pics of my 2 Mini's with the Tech rear sight:

I do my own Cerakoting, so have done the wood stock Mini in Sniper Grey, it has a nice Parkerized look.

My stainless Mini I finished in FDE and Desert Sand:

Some targets:

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the info!! I agree with all of it.

Trigher job is done, and the gas port is now down to .040 and its super smooth now. Yes i do need some 1911 buffers. Didnt know about stock shimming but i was wondering....

The guy at the LGS guy told me about the tech sites! Def better!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are a few simple things you can do to get your Mini under 2 MOA with just about any ammo, even close to 1 MOA with ammo the carbine prefers.
Reducing excess gas, Wilson 1911 buffers, 5 minute "Credit Card" shim to tighten the action in the stock, improve on the mediocre factory crown, and the GunDoc trigger job.
The LE model has the benefit of already having a shorter (stiffer) barrel and a flash hider, which both help to reduce accuracy robbing harmonics and barrel whip.

If you desire the knowledge to get the most out of your Mini and make it a very sweet shooter, go to perfectunion.com's Mini section, the very best collection of Mini knowledge out there.
My first couple of Mini's in the 70's and 80's were in the "minute of barn" category, had I not discovered perfectunion about 8 years ago I'd still believe the Mini was only capable of sub par accuracy.

Once I discovered the Mini-30 in 7.62 x 39, I forgot all about my Mini-14 and sold it. I found 3 older Mini-30's, gave one to my daughter and still have 2 of them.
I also have a PSA AR in x39 (KS-47) and while it is slightly, very slightly more accurate than the Mini's, I much prefer the feel of the Mini.
Those LE models are nice, but two things I'd so to them right away, are :
1)  ditch the fugly Ruger handguard and get a Choate. Only $15, the Choate is lighter, trimmer, better cooling and not 100% goofy looking like the lawyer mandated Ruger handguard. No one has EVER hurt their finger tips by not having the op-rod covered, that's just Ruger covering their asses.
2) while the Ruger factory peep is serviceable, take it off and replace with a Tech sight. The Tech is much easier to adjust and gives a better sight picture.
Pics of my 2 Mini's with the Tech rear sight:
https://i.imgur.com/mzXdaU5h.jpg
I do my own Cerakoting, so have done the wood stock Mini in Sniper Grey, it has a nice Parkerized look.
https://i.imgur.com/EIk7FjVh.jpg
My stainless Mini I finished in FDE and Desert Sand:
https://i.imgur.com/6kWEfxUh.jpg
Some targets:
https://i.imgur.com/qGNAkDhh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3adodlGh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aJ6JC5vh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BxF5I41h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jOjtQ11h.jpg
View Quote
OR you could just leave it alone and keep it in its pure beauty as intended.

Hit torso man size targets with no problem at normal engagement ranges.

K.I.S.S or get an AR to do things it can not do.

This IMO would apply to a GB or LEO trade-in.  Leave it alone.

New off the rack with no history or old school appeal.... then have at it.

Perfectunion is a DEFUNCT site with no means to create a new account or correspond to the admin for password reset or activate accounts.  Literally no one in charge and it is dying fast.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Apparently FedEx is delivering it today now. Even better!!
View Quote
in your hands for a day now?

you owe a pic!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice OP, I just picked up one also mine was A46. The ones for 629- are absolutely beautiful, I would rate them a 9 on a 10 scale. Been wanting one since the 80s... EDIT-Ran my serial number on the Ruger website it was produced in 2017.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OR you could just leave it alone and keep it in its pure beauty as intended.

Hit torso man size targets with no problem at normal engagement ranges.

K.I.S.S or get an AR to do things it can not do.

This IMO would apply to a GB or LEO trade-in.  Leave it alone.

New off the rack with no history or old school appeal.... then have at it.

Perfectunion is a DEFUNCT site with no means to create a new account or correspond to the admin for password reset or activate accounts.  Literally no one in charge and it is dying fast.
View Quote
Sounds like someone has some issues with perfectunion, maybe you were banned from there ?
The moderator isn't very active, but some like that. People remain civil anyway. Lots of new guys joining up all the time, so I don't know where the "no means to create a new account" are coming from.
About 100 times more Mini discussion than anywhere else on the web. I've been a member there for 8 years, and it is definitely not "dying fast".
Literally no one in charge ? Well that is your only statement that I will agree with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sounds like someone has some issues with perfectunion, maybe you were banned from there ?
The moderator isn't very active, but some like that. People remain civil anyway. Lots of new guys joining up all the time, so I don't know where the "no means to create a new account" are coming from.
About 100 times more Mini discussion than anywhere else on the web. I've been a member there for 8 years, and it is definitely not "dying fast".
Literally no one in charge ? Well that is your only statement that I will agree with.
View Quote
Forgot my password. Request reset. Can not get it reset. System goes into error loop and fails to produce a new one.

Made new account with new email address and it took but system will not activate it so can not post. system must send activation approval that never comes.

Contacted the mods and no reply. View stats of mods and they have not logged in in months.

I say that is messed up.

Found out from other users that the admin portion of the site is not functioning.

I dare you to request a password reset. You likely will find out how messed up the site is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry you had problems getting on PU. I have had similar problems trying to get on one of the Ruger forums. The moderator on PU usually only jumps in when things get really bad on the political discussion section. I tend to avoid the political section and only participate on the Mini sub forum.
If you look at the total number of threads in each subforum, the Mini subforum has 10 times the activity as the next most popular subforum, and a good 25 times the activity as most of the subforums on the PU site.
I am a member of 8 gun forums, and if not for all the good Mini knowledge on PU, I'd not visit there and stick to the other forums.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#35]
In case anyone needs another LEO trade in - Clyde Armory has a sale that is 10% off (and free Simmons red dot "if you buy a rail equipped" Ruger)  with a trade-in Ruger Mini-14

From their email:

February 25-29 only

10% OFF USED GUNS!
(exclusions apply*)

Take 10% off used guns including all handguns, rifles, stainless Mini-14 agency trade-ins, used Colt rifles, and our entire collection of rare milsurp rifles.

*Sorry, transferable machineguns excluded.

FREE Simmons Red Dot Optic!

Purchase one of our agency trade-in Ruger Mini-14 rifles equipped with a picatinny optics rail and get a FREE Simmons red dot optic! (511006C)

Customers who buy any non-rail equipped, agency trade-in Mini-14, but who also include an optic rail add-on to their purchase, will also qualify for the free Simmons red dot sight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In case anyone needs another LEO trade in - Clyde Armory has a sale that is 10% off (and free Simmons red dot "if you buy a rail equipped" Ruger)  with a trade-in Ruger Mini-14

From their email:

February 25-29 only

10% OFF USED GUNS!
(exclusions apply*)

Take 10% off used guns including all handguns, rifles, stainless Mini-14 agency trade-ins, used Colt rifles, and our entire collection of rare milsurp rifles.

Purchase one of our agency trade-in Ruger Mini-14 rifles equipped with a picatinny optics rail and get a FREE Simmons red dot optic! (511006C)

Customers who buy any non-rail equipped, agency trade-in Mini-14, but who also include an optic rail add-on to their purchase, will also qualify for the free Simmons red dot sight.
View Quote
worth a call to the stores but i do not see anything left on the website worth buying. call the stores.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From their email:

February 25-29 only

10% OFF USED GUNS!
(exclusions apply*)

View Quote
Help me out here... What is a rail equipped Mini? Would a 583 model with the ability to take a rail be an example? I'd be willing to purchase the blued tactical model if that's the case.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I found a bunch of $5 Fed Ord (choate) vented hg and grabbed one at the gun show, and i tried a vortex fh i had in my bin....to my amazement, I shot 1" tighter groups @100yds (1.5" xtreme 55gr / 2.5" berrys 55gr) with only ONE flier, and i def pulled the shot. The vortex is staying and looks neat. Buffer is up next. Im really liking this thing :)

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Help me out here... What is a rail equipped Mini? Would a 583 model with the ability to take a rail be an example? I'd be willing to purchase the blued tactical model if that's the case.
View Quote
Going on my observation only - The only "rails" I saw in the local inventory last time I was there was the short scope mount over the receiver - But calling the Warner Robins store would be probably the best for clarification.

I agree by calling it a "rail" vs "scope mount" is confusing.  I think there are "rail" hand guards for Mini's, but have never seen those on their LEO trades - but maybe inventory has recently changed.

FYI lots of inventory at local stores than what is on the website - website seems to go stale/ out of date.  I'd think they would sell lots of their inventory faster if they did more online - but its good for those who stop in - keeps all the internet guys from buying everything out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Going on my observation only - The only "rails" I saw in the local inventory last time I was there was the short scope mount over the receiver - But calling the Warner Robins store would be probably the best for clarification.

I agree by calling it a "rail" vs "scope mount" is confusing.  I think there are "rail" hand guards for Mini's, but have never seen those on their LEO trades - but maybe inventory has recently changed.

FYI lots of inventory at local stores than what is on the website - website seems to go stale/ out of date.  I'd think they would sell lots of their inventory faster if they did more online - but its good for those who stop in - keeps all the internet guys from buying everything out.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. You're right- a phone call will be much more clear. I will do that tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#41]
OP - I have the same rifle from Clyde’s as well. Love it, on of my favorite non-ARs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top