Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2018 11:30:09 AM EDT
Current production PS90.

What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Assume you researched it before buying.  What specifically do you want to know?  Buy extra mags.  Stock up on ammo.  SBR and suppress it if you want.  What else?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In no particular order....

1)  Buy magazines, don't pay extra for 50-rounders when 30's can be so easily converted.
2)  Get magazine carriers
3)  Keep your eye open for replacement aluminum hammers that mimic the Gen1 contours (and no, I cannot tell you why).
4)  Don't buy the FN overpriced cleaning kit that fits in the buttstock.  Use a generic one.
5)  SBR
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
SBR and suppress it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Put in for your stamp now. Strike industries sells the old OEM optics. Combine the two and you have one of the coolest guns around.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
This was info I wish I had when I first got mine.

The guys saying to put in for your stamp now are absolutely correct, I think the CMMG parts (barrel/FH/adapter) are top notch.  I still need to add a flashlight to mine but it's so fun to shoot.

Also I heard that some new 5.7 guns are hitting the market soon which might spur more ammo, although SGAmmo has American Eagle for like 32-24 cents a round.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
All you need to know is to go Form 1 it right now.  You'll thank us later.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you need to know is to go Form 1 it right now.  You'll thank us later.
View Quote
This.
A long-barreled PS90 might as well be substituted with an AR firing 5.56 as there's just no point.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In no particular order....

3)  Keep your eye open for replacement aluminum hammers that mimic the Gen1 contours (and no, I cannot tell you why).
View Quote
About the only reason someone would replace a Gen 3 or above hammer with a Gen 1 hammer would be to try to do something that they shouldn’t be doing.  In any case, using a Gen 1 hammer doesn’t do anything by itself, even when used in a full Gen 1 trigger pack.  Does even less in a Gen 4 pack that had other changes.

Unless you want to maybe one day have to explain to someone why you swapped hammers, it’s not really worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unless you want to maybe one day have to explain to someone why you swapped hammers, it's not really worth it IMHO.
View Quote
It won't need any explanation. You're either in possession of a contraband MG or you aren't. Nobody cares which hammer you have, and the gen 1 hammer packs are still legal, which means you could duplicate one legally. It's the disconnector mod that'd get you in trouble.

Remember you have the right to remain silent. I don't recommend doing anything to draw unwanted attention in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The aluminum Man Kave Gen I hammers are installed primarily for a lighter and shorter trigger pull.

And yes, if you were inclined to do something incredibly stupid (and illegal) you would need a Gen I hammer, or if you know what your doing you can install a Steyr AUG hammer or even modify the stock Gen III hammer to Gen I.
View Quote
I’m curious why you would need the sear notch in the Gen 1 location to give you a lighter and shorter trigger pull, and in fact that notch is completely useless in Gen 4 packs since the other sear is missing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
When ammo is cheap stack it deep...
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One quirk that 5.7x28 Weapons have is you MUST clean the chamber with Carburetor Cleaner. It removes the lacquer build up from the casings.
View Quote
Is all 5.7 lacquered? How iften do you have to clean it like that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep! Depending on who listen to, the lacquer is on the case to lube it or it’s there to provide resistance so that the case “sticks” in the chamber providing some lockup. I believe it’s the latter, why? Because I don’t see how the lacquer coated brass can be as slick as polished brass. Regardless, why ever it’s coated it works!

I’m pretty anal about cleaning my weapons.

I clean it every time it’s fired.

That being said, you will find that the 5.7x28 is the cleanest burning round you will ever encounter.
View Quote
thanks for the info.
How do you clean that lacquer off? What parts have to be cleaned?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

thanks for the info.
How do you clean that lacquer off? What parts have to be cleaned?
View Quote
Easiest way I've found to clean the chambers on my FiveSeveN and PS90's is to use a stainless steel 44 cal. brush, you can use anther smaller brush if you'd like, in my drill and just give it a good scrubbing. Super easy, takes 10-15 seconds and no cleaner needed. NEVER had an issue with any of the weapons chambering/ejecting during hundreds of rounds in a day of shooting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
4)  Don't buy the FN overpriced cleaning kit that fits in the buttstock.  Use a generic one.
View Quote
I use my buttstock compartment for my Form 1.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had a friend of mine use a high resolution copy machine to reduce his to the size of a credit card and laminated it.

We used to get harassed pretty badly by a Missouri Department of Conservation Officer at one of their ranges, when he walked up one day and said “ I need
View Quote
I normally print them half size so they're still legible and fold/roll them up in a tiny tool tube and stick it in the grip/stock of the gun it goes with.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I normally print them half size so they're still legible and fold/roll them up in a tiny tool tube and stick it in the grip/stock of the gun it goes with.

https://captainscharts.com/files/subscribers/761c873c-3670-4fae-9753-7424f44a1be7/sites/a044a6b7-9c11-4673-a1b8-913caec56b35/products/Product_b9b70b97-490a-433f-839e-9fd712c33233_xlarge.png?stamp=635471811680000000
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a friend of mine use a high resolution copy machine to reduce his to the size of a credit card and laminated it.

We used to get harassed pretty badly by a Missouri Department of Conservation Officer at one of their ranges, when he walked up one day and said “ I need

https://captainscharts.com/files/subscribers/761c873c-3670-4fae-9753-7424f44a1be7/sites/a044a6b7-9c11-4673-a1b8-913caec56b35/products/Product_b9b70b97-490a-433f-839e-9fd712c33233_xlarge.png?stamp=635471811680000000
I use to carry around printed copies, even small ones, but lately I just have my phone on me with high res scans of all my NFA forms. That's good enough for nosey law enforcement that actually has no jurisdiction to look at Federal documents. Scans are really no different than copies anyway.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
My plan as well, buy one. Get short barrel. Many mags. Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I only scrub the chambers on my guns when they give me fits, which is few far and inbetween. Hell the sBR is filthy from suppressor use, and it keeps on running :D
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#27]
When PSA has it in stock, the ammo is the cheapest I can find. I work for an FFL and their cost (normally $17.99 for FN Brand Blue Tips) is a good chunk less than normal dealer cost.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Somewhat on topic.... Between the AE open tip ammo and the FN Blue Tip ammo; which is a better pinker and which to keep on hand for a defensive situation? I am tracking there are a few small manufacturers out there doing great stuff with the 5.7mm but that ammo is quite pricey.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Urban Sentry Sling is the best in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations, you are now qualified for stargate operations.

Also be sure to SBR and suppress.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I only scrub the chambers on my guns when they give me fits, which is few far and inbetween.
View Quote
Agreed, after thousands of rounds I’ve never given the chamber any special attention. Nothing but an occasional bore snake for me and I’ve never had a single issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Somewhat on topic.... Between the AE open tip ammo and the FN Blue Tip ammo; which is a better pinker and which to keep on hand for a defensive situation? I am tracking there are a few small manufacturers out there doing great stuff with the 5.7mm but that ammo is quite pricey.
View Quote
AE only sells a TMJ round. Both it, and the SS197SR are good for plinking. The SS198LF red box from FN would be a preferred Defensive ammo. However given we have a full 16" barrel length, SS197SR will fragment as intended. The AE TMJ will just penetrate like a FMJ, and because it's short, if it tumbles, it won't be making huge cavities of any kind. The aftermarket guys shine on bringing up the velocity of the round to offer better performance. In the PS90/SBR if you want supersonic stay at 40gr and under. The 50+gr is for subsonic. The TSX rounds at the velocities the 5.7 can do, do NOT peform.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
AE only sells a TMJ round. Both it, and the SS197SR are good for plinking. The SS198LF red box from FN would be a preferred Defensive ammo. However given we have a full 16" barrel length, SS197SR will fragment as intended. The AE TMJ will just penetrate like a FMJ, and because it's short, if it tumbles, it won't be making huge cavities of any kind. The aftermarket guys shine on bringing up the velocity of the round to offer better performance. In the PS90/SBR if you want supersonic stay at 40gr and under. The 50+gr is for subsonic. The TSX rounds at the velocities the 5.7 can do, do NOT peform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks much for the info dump; that's exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#34]
You need $400 for tax stamps.

I'm thinking about buying a Mini4 for mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You need $400 for tax stamps.

I'm thinking about buying a Mini4 for mine.
View Quote
What’s. A mini 4?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's. A mini 4?
View Quote
Short 5.56 suppressor from AAC. I've heard they're excellent on 5.7 as they have more volume than .22 cans and don't need as much volume as 5.56.

I've also heard the Sandman-K and Omega 9k are decent options.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m sure it would be hard for a bullpup gun.   This gun needs a binary trigger
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Short 5.56 suppressor from AAC. I've heard they're excellent on 5.7 as they have more volume than .22 cans and don't need as much volume as 5.56.

I've also heard the Sandman-K and Omega 9k are decent options.
View Quote
Good to know as soon as I can I’ll be SBR’ing mine and getting a can...
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#39]
True. a .22 can that will work with 5.7 will take subs on the SBR down to about 122db. a 5.56 can will take those same subs down to 112db :D I have YHM Turbo video where I had the sound meter.

Here's the GP5 being used:
5.7x28mm, 55gr FMJ Subsonic, Detroit Ammo Co / Triple R Munitions
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Is ss197 really as bad as people make it out to be? I have some of it as that is whats only available locally.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is ss197 really as bad as people make it out to be? I have some of it as that is whats only available locally.
View Quote
I've shot thousands of unmodified SS197 and American Eagle through my PS90. Not one single problem with either. I do crimp at least half of my ammo (both 197 & AE)  since people say they've had problems with bullet separation, but I havn't seen it yet. Honestly, if neither one of those brands worked I wouldn't own a PS90.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've shot thousands of unmodified SS197 and American Eagle through my PS90. Not one single problem with either. I do crimp at least half of my ammo (both 197 & AE)  since people say they've had problems with bullet separation, but I havn't seen it yet. Honestly, if neither one of those brands worked I wouldn't own a PS90.
View Quote
Thats the thing. If I can’t get ammo for it locally, I don’t want it and I would hate to get rid of my ps90.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thats the thing. If I can’t get ammo for it locally, I don’t want it and I would hate to get rid of my ps90.
View Quote
I just order it in bulk online like I do for every other caliber I own. If the only way you could buy ammo is locally, then it would be a hard caliber to keep around.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This round of Federal American Eagle (Fiocchi) was deformed and jammed up our P90. It occurred at full auto, 900 rpm but that shouldn’t make a difference.

https://i.imgur.com/4MawJUt.jpg
View Quote
I remember you posting about this before. I took all of the warnings about AE ammo and went with it anyway and so far it's been 100% reliable. I crimp half of the rounds due to a post like yours (even though it's rare and that's only one round,but we've had this conversation before so no reason to go on) but neither the crimped ammo or the ammo straight out of the box has had a malfunction. Same goes for the SS197.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It CAN be!

Both SS197 and “Federal American Eagle” are manufactured by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO.

I’ve personally experienced issues with SS197, I was firing a magazine though my PS90, I had four rounds that were noticeably quieter than normal and failed to eject. They were so light I checked the bore each time to make sure I didn’t have a projectile stuck in the bore.

Jay (Elite Ammunition) has a video of him breaking down SS197, out of 50 rounds he found a 10% variation in powder charges. On a round that operates at that high of pressure and with a case that small, that’s INSANE!

Here is a photo that was posted at fnforums.net of several rounds of SS197 out of one box of 50....

https://i.imgur.com/eSVtxPi.jpg

Is is good cheap practice ammo, but I run EVERY ROUND through a cartridge gauge to make sure it meets SAAMI dimensions.

Under no circumstance would I trust it for a defensive round. Run either Elite Ammunition or SS198LF which is manufactured by FN in Belgium.
View Quote
I zero with SS198, and it’s my defensive round as well. Range ammo AE and SS197. If you can find SS195 use it as well a defensive round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top