Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/17/2020 8:11:51 PM EDT
I am leaning toward the Trijicon TA-648-50 ACOG because I have had 5 ACOGs and really like them a lot.  I know that the 6x is a limiting factor but I don't picture myself as much of a long range "precision marksman" and most of my range access is 400 yards and under.  I actually initially was going to put a red dot with a magnifier on it but thanks to my COVID-19 Trump money I can look at other options.  

I prefer a second focal plane optic in a variable scope in spite of it's drawbacks simply because I don't like the reticle changing size in the eyepiece as I cycle through the power ranges.  That's just me...

So help me out here, I've got about $2000 to spend.

Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
So many options!! Only thing I can add is that my 4.5-14 Leupold Long Range seems to be a good power scope for my 50. That power works well from close out to 600 yds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am leaning toward the Trijicon TA-648-50 ACOG because I have had 5 ACOGs and really like them a lot.  I know that the 6x is a limiting factor but I don't picture myself as much of a long range "precision marksman" and most of my range access is 400 yards and under.  I actually initially was going to put a red dot with a magnifier on it but thanks to my COVID-19 Trump money I can look at other options.  

I prefer a second focal plane optic in a variable scope in spite of it's drawbacks simply because I don't like the reticle changing size in the eyepiece as I cycle through the power ranges.  That's just me...

So help me out here, I've got about $2000 to spend.

Thanks!
The MULE
View Quote

I'm in the same boat right now and have decided to go two directions based on availability.  I really like the Vortex Gen 2 that came with the Barret packages but like you I did not want a FFP reticle.  I'm going to go with this scope with a second focal plane reticle as soon as I can get back in touch with a local dealer that will get me the scope for $750 out the door.  In the mean time I have done quite a bit of research on the SWFA SS scopes and for me they are ideal. I like a fixed power optic and theirs have excellent glass and very solid internals that produce very consistent repeatable tracking.  When I move up to the 25x Vortex my plan is to use the SWFA SS on another rifle.  Originally I wanted the 10x rear focus Moa but recently decided the 16x is best for me.  The problem now is SWFA is sold out on all but the 10x SS with side focus which runs $400 whereas the rear focus runs $299 and again no matter the money I like the simpler rear focus model better.  They also make this scope in a 6x if you really want to stay low on magnification but again all are on backorder at this time.  I have talked to SWFA and they are expecting a shipment of all the SS scopes to arrive this month.  If you are not familiar with this scope I think it's well worth your time to watch some vids and do some research as I think this optic would be ideal for your stated needs.  I plan on ordering the 16x as soon as they get them back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I'm still trying to figure it out.  I'll look at the SWFA SS models and see.
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 16x Super Sniper on an M82A1. It's been on that rifle since around 2002 and about 1500-1600 rds. Tracks repeatedly out to 1400 yds and returns to it's 200 yd zero every time. Zero problems and zero complaints.
Look on the SWFA website. They pop up every now and again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the 3X15 SWFA on mine.

ETA: I just noticed you prefer a SFP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 3X15 SWFA on mine.

ETA: I just noticed you prefer a SFP.
View Quote

-------------------------------------------

I do prefer the SFP because I don't like figuring out my optical picture each time I change the power, but that being said, I understand that on such a long ranging cartridge as the .50BMG having your ranging "right there" at each setting throughout the power range is desirable.

I have recently been recommended the 1x-10x Vortex Razer HD Gen. III which is a FFP optic and fits much of my needs in an optic that will compliment the Barrett.  So guess I'm looking at all options....  img]/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif[/img]

YMMV
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO the best value scope out there especially for a fiddy is the Leupold VX3i LRP. Going to get a few more to replace some of my older scopes. Here's the 8.5-25x but they also have a 6.5-20x and 4.5-14x.

Comes in at $700-$900. FFP for easy ranging though the zoom but picture won't change much at different zooms with the TMR reticle. Xmas tree reticle could be handy for a Barrett though. Mil/Mil adjustments. And made in the USA.

ETA I threw a spare SFP F-class VX7 Leupold 7-42x on mine for a bit. Way more magnification than needed for the fiddy but the elevation range is fantastic and it's nice to not need a spotter! Going to replace it with the VX3i soon or, possibly, the Mk7.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO the best value scope out there especially for a fiddy is the Leupold VX3i LRP. Going to get a few more to replace some of my older scopes. Here's the 8.5-25x but they also have a 6.5-20x and 4.5-14x.

Comes in at $700-$900. FFP for easy ranging though the zoom but picture won't change much at different zooms with the TMR reticle. Xmas tree reticle could be handy for a Barrett though. Mil/Mil adjustments. And made in the USA.

ETA I threw a spare SFP F-class VX7 Leupold 7-42x on mine for a bit. Way more magnification than needed for the fiddy but the elevation range is fantastic and it's nice to not need a spotter! Going to replace it with the VX3i soon or, possibly, the Mk7.

https://i.imgur.com/qqDkCHQ.jpg
View Quote

------------------------------------------------------
Nice Leupold, and I do like the TMR reticle the best out of the options.
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
O.K., game over... I got a smokin' deal on a used safe queen Trijicon TA 648MGO-M2 ACOG.  I already have an Aimpoint T-1 micro to top it with and the combo should work for my needs.  If I ever need to do some really long range shooting I will take all of your suggestions into consideration.
Thanks again!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm also looking for optics for a BA50 just purchased.

I was looking at the Athlon Ares ETR4.5-30x56 with Seekins 34mm rings.

I thought about the SS 16x, but believe in the buy once/cry once principle for optics.

I also have a State Arms LH with a  Lothar Walther bull barrel built by Klaus before he passed away.

It uses a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25 EBR-2C FFP with Seekins/Vortex 30mm rings.

I works well for me.

Russ

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is a pic of the TA-648MGO-M2 ACOG that I got for the Barrett along with the Aimpoint T-1 that I will be putting on top of it.  It's big for an ACOG.

Here is a pic of the M2 reticle.

And here is another with my full size Glock G-22 for size comparison:

Special thanks to USMC88-93 for helping me get these pix posted.
The MULE
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top