Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2018 10:27:38 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Picked up this Tavor SAR in FDE yesterday. Yes, yes, panic buy.

I'm in love with it. I've wanted one for awhile, and finally just said "hell with it" and bought the thing. Not super light, but incredibly compact and balances really well.

I've decided on a Leupold VX-R Patrol in an American Defense RECON-H mount for optics, and ordered a MS4 sling.

Any other suggestions for upgrades here? I'm considering the Talon rubber grip wrap, and potentially the Super Sabra trigger. Is it that much better than the stock (which is honestly fine; I'm used to old milsurp triggers)?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a shooting site tav d trigger pack in mine. But any upgrades are personal preference. If you like the trigger I’d leave it be. If you do get a pack I’d just get the pack and not the lightning bow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
So far on mine I've added the following

Gear Head Works Razorback Top Rail
MagPul Pro Sights
MI Port Door cover
MI MLok forearm rail
Manticore Arms curved buttpad
Manticore Arms safety selectors

I have a Super Sabra on the way and am debating on the Lightning Bow and the folding CH.

I changed out the flash hider as well, but I'm still debating if I want to run it with a can.  The curved buttpad, top rail and the forearm rail are worthwhile upgrades in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet OP. Had some righteous overtime from a couple of weeks back and thought about picking up a Galil. Then the wife called from the dentist and her root canal sucked up my OT.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool acquisition congrats.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  My Tavor was my graduation present to myself when I graduated from my conductor class several years ago.  It was a choice between the Tavor or an AUG and I came across the Tavor first.  That also got my interest in bullpups rekindled after my disasterous experience with an AKU-94 coversion kit for an old AK I had around here.  Since my Tavor, I have added a STg77 and last night ordered a Kel-Tec RDB off of gunbroker.  Welcome to the sickness!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!  My Tavor was my graduation present to myself when I graduated from my conductor class several years ago.  It was a choice between the Tavor or an AUG and I came across the Tavor first.  That also got my interest in bullpups rekindled after my disasterous experience with an AKU-94 coversion kit for an old AK I had around here.  Since my Tavor, I have added a STg77 and last night ordered a Kel-Tec RDB off of gunbroker.  Welcome to the sickness!
View Quote
You might have a problem. :D
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You might have a problem. :D
View Quote
Dang right I do!  Trying to find an FS2000 for a good price these days is tough!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dang right I do!  Trying to find an FS2000 for a good price these days is tough!
View Quote
Actually saw one of those at the show I got the Tavor at... though I'm not sure what you'd consider a good price.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's true. I bought my flattop FS2000 for $1700 new back in 2012. Used ones are about that up to $2000. They've held or increased in value. And my FS200 w/ factory scope cost $2400 used a couple years ago. Prices for those seem to be about $2900-3000 now. Of course there are a lot fewer scoped tunas out there.

OF course what I really, really always wanted in the the FS2000 game is a Slovenian military model. Always loved the look of the rail/carry handle that that country went with. And I just noticed a guy on Gunbroker somehow has one that was an R&D gun. But as cool and "rare" as it is. It's not worth 3X, plus what a scope model goes for. Not for a different rail. But if I were Bill Gates and I liked guns. I'd spend the $10,000 on it.

But hey, I don't have an RDB/RFB or an STG77. :D
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Good buy, OP. I have the same color.

Add ons: manticore curved buttpad, 51T flash hider for my saker cans and fab defense TAR podium. This is all times two since I have two Tavors. Only one shooting sight pack cause I think my 9mm trigger is decent so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice Tavor! I added the 9mm conversion so I could shoot steel competition, a Trijicon MRO, a sling, and a TLR-1 light with pressure switch.  I'd have to say I think the Tavor is the most fun gun in my safe.  Oh, I bought a tennis racket bag to lay low with it.  It fit perfectly with a few mags!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice Tavor! I added the 9mm conversion so I could shoot steel competition, a Trijicon MRO, a sling, and a TLR-1 light with pressure switch.  I'd have to say I think the Tavor is the most fun gun in my safe.  Oh, I bought a tennis racket bag to lay low with it.  It fit perfectly with a few mags!
View Quote
I have a double wide one for the same reason :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice,  I'm holding out for a Tavor 7.  I'm really hoping it lives up to expectations.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Just convert it to left hand, and you're good to go.
I mean, I'm a trigger snob, and replaced mine right away. However, beyond the weight, the stock trigger is surprisingly good. It dispels a lot of the myths associated with bullpup triggers, and I could have lived with it if there wasn't aftermarket options.

Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just convert it to left hand, and you're good to go.
I mean, I'm a trigger snob, and replaced mine right away. However, beyond the weight, the stock trigger is surprisingly good. It dispels a lot of the myths associated with bullpup triggers, and I could have lived with it if there wasn't aftermarket options.

Welcome to the club
View Quote
The trigger just seems to be on the heavy side (well, relatively - it's nothing compared to a Nagant revolver), but it's otherwise not bad. Someone suggested just getting the X95 trigger pack, which IWI sells and is compatible with the SAR. I may just do that.

Manticore curved buttpad ordered.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The trigger just seems to be on the heavy side (well, relatively - it's nothing compared to a Nagant revolver), but it's otherwise not bad. Someone suggested just getting the X95 trigger pack, which IWI sells and is compatible with the SAR. I may just do that.

View Quote
If it’s a new enough SAR it already has the x95 pack. The change is pretty slight. I always mean to do a parts evolution thread with picks of the original SAR pack and the x95 side by side but full time school and work I never have time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it’s a new enough SAR it already has the x95 pack. The change is pretty slight. I always mean to do a parts evolution thread with picks of the original SAR pack and the x95 side by side but full time school and work I never have time.
View Quote
I don't have anything to compare it to - but you may be right. It's new enough that it had the Gen 3 PMAG in the box and not the older IWI mag. Not sure if there's a way to date these.

Regardless, I decided on the ShootingSight Tav-D trigger pack, and just ordered one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

All together, for now. Steiner P4Xi in PEPR mount (will change to an AD RECON-H once it shows up), Manticore arms buttpad, ShootingSight TAV-D trigger (not that you can see it), MS4 sling.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice setup. Looks good
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
The geissele trigger pack and the curved butt pad are awsome upgrades. I also went with the MI handguard.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did a lot of testing of the trigger pack shortly after I first got mine. I wanted to see how much the factory set could be improved through "old fashioned" trigger job methods. Most of that trigger weight is against springs, but reducing spring strength frequently caused failures to reset. Through mixing and matching, and multiple weight tests, I learned that it takes roughly 6-6.5 pounds of spring force during trigger reset just to overcome the friction of the factory disconnector alone. That was even after I stoned and polished it, and the surface it moves against. There was nothing I could do to get the factory pack even close to the pull weight of my aftermarket one, without making some extreme changed.. At the time, I wanted to get a replacement disconnector and see if I could do something to improve that portion of it, but the SAR was brand new, and IWI wasn't selling spare parts, yet. I just settled into the idea that the big 3 aftermarket providers had changed some of the geometry, and haven't ever gotten back to the idea of trying to modify the disconnector.

Side note: It doesn't sound like you're following my recommendation to make the change to left hand, huh?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah the original SAR trigger pack even had a spring Who’s sole function was to assist with reset that made it a heavier trigger pull they dumped that and tweaked it with latter ones.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
just the trigger, i love mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top