Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2021 10:35:54 PM EDT
Any thoughts on this tube. In reality it looks like TV static, the video has some strobing that is just a video artifact and not real.

whats the fix?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:59:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#1]
you need a new tube. you can try adjusting the potentiometers in those holes on the top, but it is likely a lost cause.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#3]
i'm not against repotting, I bought it broken. Just trying to find any info on repotting is seemingly impossible

edit, I moved the pots 2 turns both ways. no change, left pot would turn off unit at 2 turns CCW.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I read a few years back that wide open static like that is a essentially a wire grounding out or something along those lines. You might be able to just repot it using the same module and PSU. However, you need a vacuum chamber, slygard polymer and a new boot. It can be done, but I've never done it.  With all of the other crap I've attempted - I should have repotted something by now, but I don't own a vac chamber, though I could probably make one with a brake bleeder. KDSG repots tubes. I think its ~$500. Not knowing the clarity of that module, I'm not really sure it would be worth the cost.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chosos:
I think I read a few years back that wide open static like that is a essentially a wire grounding out or something along those lines. You might be able to just repot it using the same module and PSU. However, you need a vacuum chamber, slygard polymer and a new boot. It can be done, but I've never done it.  With all of the other crap I've attempted - I should have repotted something by now, but I don't own a vac chamber, though I could probably make one with a brake bleeder. KDSG repots tubes. I think its ~$500. Not knowing the clarity of that module, I'm not really sure it would be worth the cost.
View Quote
Wow, this place has changed while I was away...

You can degas the elastomer by sticking it in a large syringe, capping the nozzle and pulling on the plunger... It pulls all the gas out of the mix very effectively, and you can inject degassed elastomer straight into a jig to hold the tube.

A bit ghetto, but if you cut the elastomer open later, it's actually very effective.

David.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#6]
Perthite not just a form of feldspar
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah lots of changes. Its rough keeping track of all the various nv forums now and it feels like a lot less traffic, since threads are spread over more forums, now. I am still deciding if i like it or not.

That is a slick move to degas the polymer.

Hope all is well with you and welcome back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top