Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2022 12:23:28 PM EDT
I have a 14.5 SR-15 currently but I am itching for an MCX Virtus to do the same job.

End of the world, CQB and up to 500m gun (it's a hobbie, leave me alone )

Basically a do-it-all, reliable gun.
I'm not rich, so I'd have to sell the KAC. A positive is the MCX will end me up with mo-money to spend on other stuff.

Pros and cons to either? What say you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
oh, do it. Do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea I will probably keep the KAC for 5.56.

I was going to wait for an SR-30 but they are impossibly expensive right now so I might just get the MCX in 300BO.

That's probably my solution.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
No way.  

Add a MCX, but do not trade a KAC for one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
As someone who has recently bought an MCX (early 2021), and could have easily bought a KAC rifle at the time, I don’t really understand the hype around KAC.  KAC makes great quality stuff, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t understand how the price is justified. Especially if you strip away the military contract “aura”. At least with the MCX, you’re getting unique features that DI AR-15’s can’t give you.

Let me reiterate that KAC stuff is great. My issue is purely with its value. It’s price for performance is all kinds of  out of wack.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Kac being the best ar15 pattern rifle as far as being soft shooting , reliable and accurate . But the mcx is soft shooting as well and gives me the ability to adjust the gas setting for suppressed use . The mcx piston system is as simple as piston system can be so its got reliability going for it as well and it’s accurate but with the mcx I can swop out barrel’s for length or even caliber switch with just 2 screws in under 3 minutes not to Mention how easy it is to change the rail and butt stocks . I have a 11.5’’ SR-15 and it one of my favorite sbr’ s .but the mcx gets my vote when it’s set up as a lvaw with 6.75’’ and thunder chicken she’s a pig but she’s my pig !
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The MCX is customizable and adaptable to pretty much anything you could want it to do, but…

Its nearly 8lbs naked.
And all the spare barrels and conversion kits are hard to find or people are trying to sell them for double msrp. However, the biggest reason you shouldn’t is because the Virtus is already outdated.. Sig is currently working on a gen 3 that addresses the few issues the Virtus has. The MCX thread has pictures of the Gen 3 and it drops significant weight and slims the rail.

conversions/support for the Virtus are probably going to be affected and difficult to source.

You should wait and get the Gen 3. Or wait for people to offload their Virtus for cheap so that they can ‘upgrade’ to the gen 3.
Perhaps then you’ll be able to afford both a virtus and keep the KAC!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MCX is customizable and adaptable to pretty much anything you could want it to do, but…

Its nearly 8lbs naked.
And all the spare barrels and conversion kits are hard to find or people are trying to sell them for double msrp. However, the biggest reason you shouldn’t is because the Virtus is already outdated.. Sig is currently working on a gen 3 that addresses the few issues the Virtus has. The MCX thread has pictures of the Gen 3 and it drops significant weight and slims the rail.

conversions/support for the Virtus are probably going to be affected and difficult to source.

You should wait and get the Gen 3. Or wait for people to offload their Virtus for cheap so that they can ‘upgrade’ to the gen 3.
View Quote

This. Wait for Gen 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeh datguy make a good point . When ur right ur right
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't and an MCX is my next rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh, I’d say the opposite. KAC is going for ridiculous money now, and really is just an AR with some nice tweaking. Cash in if you can get enough.
They’ve made more money selling accessories to the army than having any weapons fielded in large numbers.

Sell the KAC for big money, get a virtus or two or a virtus and a super duty geissele rifle when one of the sales are on if you still want an ar to go with a piston gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Wait for the Gen 8 heard it’s coming in 2 years!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its nearly 8lbs naked.

View Quote

This.

And the KAC is a nice, lightweight, reliable gun.  Don't be looking for more than that in your end-of-the-world gun.   Now after you save up, sell useless stuff (sperm?), or find a way to justify another firearm purchase, I would get something that fills the role the KAC does not, such as the rattler in 300BO for a very compact gun, or a different barrel length on the 556 that would complement your stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 14.5 SR-15 currently but I am itching for an MCX Virtus to do the same job.

End of the world, CQB and up to 500m gun (it's a hobbie, leave me alone )

Basically a do-it-all, reliable gun.
I'm not rich, so I'd have to sell the KAC. A positive is the MCX will end me up with mo-money to spend on other stuff.

Pros and cons to either? What say you?
View Quote

The Virtus is an improved and more advanced AR-180 design with AR-15/M-16 controls. So that means the manual of arms is the same as your SR-15. The SR-15 is considered the peak of the AR-15 design, in that it's got a few improvements over the standard TDP rifle. But at the end of the day, its just a $3000+ AR-15. The Virtus has some of these improvements that it's carried over into its design. Specifically the E3 style rounded bolt for improved rigidity/reliability.

Some general advantages include:
The ability to fold the gun and shoot it.
It suppresses better with the ability to adjust the gas regulator for normal vs adverse rifle conditions.
Modular or the ability to quickly change out configurations. *If thats your thing.
It has a .3" higher rail height, in line with modern shooting technique.

Do it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
KAC - From what I understand, it is the culmination of decades worth of design improvements from multiple sources working within the AR15 envelope and creating the best of the breed. Women want him, men want to be him.

MCX Virtus - In compact 300 Blackout form, it is basically Mike Tyson. Stocky, stout, perfect for close-in.

Just how I look at it. It is what it is to me, I’m sure many will disagree and that’s cool, but I no longer even think “Virtus” and “5.56/.223” in the same sentence any more. It’s a 300 BO gun to me and that’s it.

I wouldn’t do it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Its nearly 8lbs naked.

View Quote

I like this idea. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

And the KAC is a nice, lightweight, reliable gun.  Don't be looking for more than that in your end-of-the-world gun.   Now after you save up, sell useless stuff (sperm?), or find a way to justify another firearm purchase, I would get something that fills the role the KAC does not, such as the rattler in 300BO for a very compact gun, or a different barrel length on the 556 that would complement your stuff.
View Quote

Absolutely. I'll save up for the Rattler and keep the KAC
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You'll love the Rattler, makes the PCC setups obsolete. I actually recently sold my Virtus 11.5" setup and instead picked up a SCAR 17 NRCH. I just couldn't get over the 7.4 pounds bare, on the Virtus.

The Gen 3 sounds to be a much better setup and I might look at one in the future but the 300blk and super short MCX setups are genuinely where it's at.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a legacy mcx and a complete KAC rifle. If I’m only grabbing one it’s going to be the KAC
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Rattler is a good move.  Will go well with your KAC.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep the kac.  The virtus is a heavier and than the legacy mcx.  Wait for the gen 3 because we dont know what sig is changing again on the gen 3 compared to the virtus.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sell the kac.

With the exception of ambi lower, the readily available and cheaper Geissele rifles offers the same core enhancements (gas length and stronger bolt) while being less gassy and having better buffer weight out of the box. Add in subjectively better aspects like trigger, furniture, and muzzle device and imo it has more going for it then the KAC.

Reason I bring it up is you can get mcx now and grab Geissele as well and still likely come out ahead with proceeds from KAC.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:44:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be contrary and say SELL IT, but I am a MCXsupremacist.

It doesn't do anything better than any other AR15, and you can make a lot of money off it. Enough to buy a nice AR and an MCX.

You have no clue how long you'll wait for a Gen 3. Come join our side. We have cookies and folding stocks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Not sure if Sig is truly innovating their product line or executing clever obsolescence.  Kind like Apple slowing down older phones to force new sales.  

Or perhaps releasing designs that aren’t mature, nor well thought out forcing generational changes/redesigns.

Consider HK, sure not as many products nor changes, slow to embrace consumer/civilian market.  But Unlike  Sig, parts are still available for out of production guns.    

This comes from a guy with 2 Sig 556s, had MCX G1 and now owns Virtus G1.  I hope that “product improved” NexGen Virtus parts will be backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Given the absolute stupid premium KAC’s are commanding these days I’d sell it. Lotta bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not sure if Sig is truly innovating their product line or executing clever obsolescence.  Kind like Apple slowing down older phones to force new sales.  

Or perhaps releasing designs that aren’t mature, nor well thought out forcing generational changes/redesigns.

Consider HK, sure not as many products nor changes, slow to embrace consumer/civilian market.  But Unlike  Sig, parts are still available for out of production guns.    

This comes from a guy with 2 Sig 556s, had MCX G1 and now owns Virtus G1.  I hope that “product improved” NexGen Virtus parts will be backwards compatible.
View Quote

If Sig is doing that, they're doing an absolute horrible job at it. Legacy MCX can accept Virtus parts (outside of the handguard).

I'll bet a PMAG that the Gen 3 barrels will fit in a Virtus upper too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If Sig is doing that, they're doing an absolute horrible job at it. Legacy MCX can accept Virtus parts (outside of the handguard).

View Quote

Not necessarily true, sig did bolt and bolt carrier changes at some point, i think right before the virtus.  So if you were a very early adopter of the mcx, when compared to the virtus there are alot of differences.  Different barrel profiles and extensions, gas selector and plug, bolt and carrier to name a few.  It actually annoyed the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not necessarily true, sig did bolt and bolt carrier changes at some point, i think right before the virtus.  So if you were a very early adopter of the mcx, when compared to the virtus there are alot of differences.  Different barrel profiles and extensions, gas selector and plug, bolt and carrier to name a few.  It actually annoyed the crap out of me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but you can still put Virtus parts in your Legacy upper. Doesn't matter when the Legacy upper was made, it'll still be capable of utilizing the Virtus parts. Meaning if you ever happen to shoot out or destroy your Legacy barrel, you can swap over to Virtus parts in it and continue on.

This would mean it isn't being designed into obsolescence and backwards compatibility is something they are keeping in mind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes but you can still put Virtus parts in your Legacy upper. Doesn't matter when the Legacy upper was made, it'll still be capable of utilizing the Virtus parts. Meaning if you ever happen to shoot out or destroy your Legacy barrel, you can swap over to Virtus parts in it and continue on.

This would mean it isn't being designed into obsolescence and backwards compatibility is something they are keeping in mind.
View Quote

Yes, I gotcha now.  The only other thing is the rumor is the newer gen 3 that is coming will have a different rail design and possibly a different upper.  But in theory you still should be able to drop in existing barrels and bcg.  I just hope they dont change the bolts again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top