Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 3:47:42 PM EDT

Why? Was it just a cost saving back in the day?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The magazine tube doesn't accommodate a hand guard.  The follower slides up the length of the tube under the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If I’m not mistaken that was the first Henry. I’m surprised it looked as good as it did. They had no idea you would need a for-end until it got hot from shooting. This was the jump from single shot to shoot all day.  
Ground breaking in its day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought for sure this was going to be a jab at Mlok rail forends

It does look a bit odd but still a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
And not to mention, 44 Rimfime was black powder and didn't generate the heat smokeless does.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And not to mention, 44 Rimfime was black powder and didn't generate the heat smokeless does.
View Quote

Want to bet!
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The magazine tube doesn't accommodate a hand guard.  The follower slides up the length of the tube under the barrel.
View Quote
This.

The follower rides down the magazine tube with a tab sticking out of an open slot, so you can easily see remaining ammo.  To reload, you'd push the tab up towards the muzzle, lock, and rotate around the barrel.  This was also the method of operation on the Volcanic pistol (which I feel like I've read somewhere it was designed by the same guy).

They were just re-using what worked.
Quoted:

View Quote
Also this.  

I've thought an 1866 yellow boy, or Henry Big Boy Brass (once they get a loading gate on the brasslite receiver) would be fun to own.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I’m not mistaken that was the first Henry. I’m surprised it looked as good as it did. They had no idea you would need a for-end until it got hot from shooting. This was the jump from single shot to shoot all day.  
Ground breaking in its day.
View Quote

Makes sense if it was amongst the first attempts at repeating rifles. Adding wood would have been a simple mod to the design. It is a.beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Makes sense if it was amongst the first attempts at repeating rifles. Adding wood would have been a simple mod to the design. It is a.beautiful rifle.
View Quote

The loading gate hadn't been invented yet.  The magazine was loaded though the muzzle end after the follower was retracted using a tab that extended though a slot in the bottom of the magazine tube.   If they were to add wood to that design it would have had to be two slabs on either side of the mag tube with and extended mag follower tab.

Kings loading gate was patented in 1866 which is why the 1866 Winchester is exactly what you are proposing, a Henry rifle with a fore end.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have the exactly backwards.

Burning BP dumps more heat into the metal than burning smokeless. There is more mass combusting with BP, therefore more heat.

I have a Cimarron 1860 Henry and it gets hot much faster when shooting BP in it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Burning BP dumps more heat into the metal than burning smokeless. There is more mass combusting with BP, therefore more heat.

I have a Cimarron 1860 Henry and it gets hot much faster when shooting BP in it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I have an Uberti 1873 in .44-40 and when shooting black powder it heats up significantly faster than when using smokeless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Ones is shown a lot in the short series Godless. I found this interesting-

Alice Fletcher (Michelle Dockery) carries an iron-framed Henry 1860 throughout the series, wielding it many times at visitors approaching her ranch, and using it to great effect in the final shootout. It is also seen being held by her son Truckee (Samuel Marty). It is notable that both Alice and Truckee demonstrate the proper technique when holding the Henry rifle: gripping it by the front of the receiver, not the magazine tube. This is done since the gun has no handguard and magazine tube is open along the bottom, and the spring can pinch the shooter's fingers when firing multiple rounds. Alice also often wears a heavy glove on her left hand to prevent burning her hand on the barrel when firing.
View Quote

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Godless
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Deleted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top