Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2021 8:04:51 PM EDT
I have decided (or rather, my brain has decided for me) that I need a lever action. Not just any lever action...but a 20" 1873 in 45LC. I have a 1980 mfg Marlin 1894 in 357 that used to be my uncle's and is in excellent shape but...it's just not the same. I need a replica of that beautiful, case-hardened, octagonal barrel Winchester 1873. I also need a pistol to go with it, but that's another story.

So which do I get? I've been looking at these rifles almost daily and putting a bit of money in my gun fund until I have enough. I'm not sure if I should get a Uberti or a Cimarron? From what I've seen, Uberti makes them for Cimarron, so are they the same? Or should I spring for one from Cody's Cowboy Shop with the action job? I think he uses Taylor's rifles but I'm not sure. What say the hive? Also, please feel free to post your 1873s so that I can drool over them while I dream about my own.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I 've been waiting for these to be back in stock. So pissed at myself for not buying one when they were around.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have decided (or rather, my brain has decided for me) that I need a lever action. Not just any lever action...but a 20" 1873 in 45LC. I have a 1980 mfg Marlin 1894 in 357 that used to be my uncle's and is in excellent shape but...it's just not the same. I need a replica of that beautiful, case-hardened, octagonal barrel Winchester 1873. I also need a pistol to go with it, but that's another story.

So which do I get? I've been looking at these rifles almost daily and putting a bit of money in my gun fund until I have enough. I'm not sure if I should get a Uberti or a Cimarron? From what I've seen, Uberti makes them for Cimarron, so are they the same? Or should I spring for one from Cody's Cowboy Shop with the action job? I think he uses Taylor's rifles but I'm not sure. What say the hive? Also, please feel free to post your 1873s so that I can drool over them while I dream about my own.
View Quote
If you are not going into CAS I would not get a short stroke or race job.  It will be more sensitive to primers and not any better with commercial loads.  These jobs designed to run light cowboy loads as fast as possible and not needed outside of world of SASS.

Uberti makes them for Cimarron, Stoeger and Taylor but the importer all have some small differences like finish or wood quality or shape and some have factory or post factory slicked actions.  They are all sensitive to the OAL of ammo and work better with longer 38s and best with 357 mags with truncated cone or round nose bullets.  Flat nose or WC or semi WC will not work.

If you want a perfectly match pair I would suggest uberti Cimarron short rifle with octagon barrel and Cimarron el malo 2 revolver with octagon barrel.

Taylor started bringing true stainless rifles and revolvers from uberti recently.  The older "in white" finish is just plain steel stripped of bluing and prone to rust

If you "feel the need" to go single action, visit your local SASS club and get addicted to a 3-gun Cosplay... :)

Rossi is a cheaper option but not as Purdy or slick.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Taylor's all the way.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1873-lever-action.html

Cimarron's guns are great, don't get me wrong,
but the quality of customer service at Taylor's
is literally unequalled for importers of the Italian
replicas.

Cimarron's customer service is sub par. IMHO
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
OP , you have good tastes , all of the makes listed are worthy .
Cimarrons is probably best off the shelf . You want an off the shelf rifle nothing all tricked out race thing .

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Miroku Winchester 1873 in .357 Magnum last year and it is one of the best made and finished guns I've ever laid eyes on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
That 1873 with the octagon barrel is one purty rifle.  Too bad no 44 mag/special option though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Miroku Winchester 1873 in .357 Magnum last year and it is one of the best made and finished guns I've ever laid eyes on.
View Quote

I had a Miroku Winchester in 44-40 and I agree wholeheartedly with this, absolutely incredible quality, frankly it was too nice for me so I sold it
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I got one of those about a month ago, except full octagon barrel  Finally got in some 38 cal rnfp’s to load up some ammo to try it out.  I’m developing a thing for octagon barrels. It joins my 1892 in 44-40 and my 1885 in 45-70 in the not-round barrel corner of my safe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies so far, guys. Definitely need a full octagon barrel. For sure wanting 45 Colt as well. I'm leaning towards the Cimarron but the Taylor's looks good too, though it looks like they're all out of stock. Anything to know with these guns? Like I said, only lever I have is an 80s Marlin, so nothing "vintage style."
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not exactly what your looking for, but here are mine.  Rifle has a round barrel and I went with 357 for both because it will be cheaper than 45LC.  The rifle is a Winchester/Miroku that I bought about 3 years ago.  The pistol is a Taylor's and Co. Smokewagon.  The action on the smoke wagon is like butter, the rifle is a little "clunky' feeling but has always been reliable with 357.  The Winchester does not like 38spl.  The Winchester looks so good in person I told my wife I wanted to hang it above the fireplace, she was not amused...

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#12]
No clue on the new ones, but here is my 1880 date 1873 in .44-40. It needs some work and was damaged in shipping, but it is a cool rifle. It was from my grandpa who died about a week ago. What is crazy to think is that the rifle was 50 years old when my grandpa was born. Once I get the last few parts and fix the chamber, it should be ready to go. I already have brass and projectiles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
A longer barrel puts you closer to the target.

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The 24" is cool but I think the 20" is perfect for me. I just bought a Cimarron Pistolero in 45 Colt so now I need the rifle . However what I really need to do is figure out the reloading situation... Looks like bullets are easy, but everything else is a crap shoot. Should I be looking into loading with BP or modern powder for these guns?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Black powder requires a timely, detailed and thorough post shooting cleaning session...but is very rewarding to shoot these guns with the ammo they were created around...45 Colt as a perfectly straight case needs enough of a load to get a decent seal and avoid blowback- a smokeless powder issue- If you are new to black powder, do your homework, and make sure that there is no "air gap" between bullet and powder.    I use between 28-30 grains of either FFFg or FFG, a .030 wad, and it slightly compresses...cartridge is always 1.6 inches long to ensure smooth feeding...and critically, make sure that the bullet is lubed for black powder...Lots of web info on this, enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Black powder requires a timely, detailed and thorough post shooting cleaning session...but is very rewarding to shoot these guns with the ammo they were created around...45 Colt as a perfectly straight case needs enough of a load to get a decent seal and avoid blowback- a smokeless powder issue- If you are new to black powder, do your homework, and make sure that there is no "air gap" between bullet and powder.    I use between 28-30 grains of either FFFg or FFG, a .030 wad, and it slightly compresses...cartridge is always 1.6 inches long to ensure smooth feeding...and critically, make sure that the bullet is lubed for black powder...Lots of web info on this, enjoy.
View Quote

Yeah don’t skimp on your lube. It makes a big difference on seasoning your bore and cleaning. I like Lyman’s bp lube and cleaning and lubing the bore with TC Bore Butter. Then cleaning with soap and Hot water. For a quick cleaning I like Hoppes black powder solvent. I use this in my trapdoor Springfield. But Trail boss will also work just fine and it’s easier to clean.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]

I love mine
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Taylor's all the way.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1873-lever-action.html

Cimarron's guns are great, don't get me wrong,
but the quality of customer service at Taylor's
is literally unequalled for importers of the Italian
replicas.

Cimarron's customer service is sub par. IMHO
View Quote

This...I have had excellent experience with Taylor's

Not so much with Cimarron
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I would love to get one & have it converted to 45acp but I can't stomach paying $2k+ for the rifle & conversion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got my Cimarron Pistolero this weekend and it is SWEET. Man, I need ammo.

May be ordering a 20" 1873 this week in addition to a Surefire RC2
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If you can, try to find an original. The reproduction rifles are decent enough but, nothing beats a cool peice of history in your hands.
I have an 1882 model 1873 in .32-20WCF and it's about the coolest antique rifle I've had.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My Cimmaron Ive posted around the forum before. I have Taylors guns too. Customer service is hit or miss. Ive had them send me the wrong parts as a substitute for a backorder. Also ordered in stock items then receive a backorder message. I dont like dealing with them directly or through the website.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back home after a fun day at the range!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71x-UD0xuvM
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I’d be looking for a Miroku.  It’s a gun you’ll have the rest of your life and pass along when you’re gone.  Mine is a 357 trapper.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm also on the hunt for a Miroku, either a case hardened short rifle or a 24" sporter with octagonal barrel and straight stock. Either one would be in .357 Mag. Of course they seem to be impossible to find at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Uberti 73', Imported by Cabela's. Been a Gem!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Great looking rifle, which optic is that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great looking rifle, which optic is that?
View Quote

It is a 6x Malcom by Hi-Lux
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I just won a really nice Cimarron 20" rifle for under a grand on GB . It's exactly what I wanted so I think I'll be happy. The stock looks beautiful and I love the cupped butt plate. Excited to finally get it!....though it may be a bit before I can actually get some ammo for it

(Pic from the GunBroker auction)

ETA: what do you guys do for slings on these rifles? Drill and install swivels? I've seen the "no drill" slings that wrap around it but I'm not sure I'm a fan. However I don't believe in a rifle without a sling
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I....am happy. Was also able to get 100 rounds of Fiocci 45LC for way under current prices

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#32]
This is easily one of the most fun guns I own.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#33]
They have sling mount kits with a wood screw for the stock and a clamp for the mag tube. You just need to find the right size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top