Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2018 9:10:21 PM EDT
As the title states, I am pretty sure that I want an X95, so where do I start? Where is the go to place to find them? (My normal places don't seem to carry them) What will I are the "must have" upgrades? How easy are they to tinker with? Feel free to drop some knowledge or- or talk me out of it and into another bullpup.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one, I sold it. It was Ok. Didnt blow my hair back like I thought it would. Same reaction from others I've talked to that shot it. Most said they rather have put the money in a upper tier AK. I did that too and I'm selling those also. Guess I'm not easy to impress.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one, I sold it. It was Ok. Didnt blow my hair back like I thought it would. Same reaction from others I've talked to that shot it. Most said they rather have put the money in a upper tier AK. I did that too and I'm selling those also. Guess I'm not easy to impress.
View Quote
I'm not really expecting I'll be blown away by it (Usually the things I enjoy shooting the most are things with lots of fire and recoil, ). Mostly I want one because it seems like a great HD gun- getting full length ballistics out of a SBR package.....and it's not another AR. Plus it seems like one of the few non AR types rifles that is "battle worthy" so it checks the box of being a serious weapon and not just a range toy.

You do make a good point though. If I am going to drop that much coin on a rifle it should be impressive....because I could get a really nice AR or AK for that price.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got the Tavor SAR which I bought prior to the release of the X95.   I’m not selling my Tavor but I’m not getting rid of my AR-15’s either.   My Tavor SAR is my travel gun.   The Tavor excel in CQB and around vehicles and has plenty of accuracy for these task.   The Tavor is not a great rifle for shooting off the bench for little groups.   The Tavor can be used for hunting but would not be my first choice.   My Tavor SAR is most accurate with 69 grain SMK and is better with 55 grain M-193 than 62 grain M855 YMMV.

CDNN Sports has been running good sales on IWI X95 and I’d compare their price to Buds, Ky Gun Co and other online retailers.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=Tavor+X95
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ve got the Tavor SAR which I bought prior to the release of the X95.   I’m not selling my Tavor but I’m not getting rid of my AR-15’s either.   My Tavor SAR is my travel gun.   The Tavor excel in CQB and around vehicles and has plenty of accuracy for these task.   The Tavor is not a great rifle for shooting off the bench for little groups.   The Tavor can be used for hunting but would not be my first choice.   My Tavor SAR is most accurate with 69 grain SMK and is better with 55 grain M-193 than 62 grain M855 YMMV.

CDNN Sports has been running good sales on IWI X95 and I’d compare their price to Buds, Ky Gun Co and other online retailers.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=Tavor+X95
View Quote
Thanks for the info on where to look for them. I am definitely not thinking of it as replacement for my ARs but more of a supplement. I was thinking it would definitely make for a great traveling gun as well.

What do you think about going with 18" barrel instead of the 16.5"? A lot of people seem to hate the thick buttpad evidently it's easier from a legal perspective to replace it on an 18" without having to worry about pinning and welding.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
GunBroker.
View Quote
That might be the best route since I'm in no hurry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info on where to look for them. I am definitely not thinking of it as replacement for my ARs but more of a supplement. I was thinking it would definitely make for a great traveling gun as well.

What do you think about going with 18" barrel instead of the 16.5"? A lot of people seem to hate the thick buttpad evidently it's easier from a legal perspective to replace it on an 18" without having to worry about pinning and welding.
View Quote
Mine has a 18" barrel on it with a short buttpad. First I got the 16" barrel pined and welded then just bought a 18" barrel and the corresponding forend for it (it has a hole in the front to accommodate the bayonet lug found on the 18" non banstate model) because why the heck not .

As for your earlier question about how easy it is to tinker with its pretty easy. The big thing is if you are taking off the barrel make sure you follow the correct steps and remove the charging handle assembly first or you can end up trashing the charging handle and the gas tube.

Must have upgrades. I don't think there are any. The slim buttpad is nice a shooting sight or geissele trigger pack and a geissele lightning bow are nice. But its fine in in factory guise. The only thing id say is almost mandatory is an optic of some kind the buis that are incorporated into the rail are meant to be backups if they are left deployed all the time it would be easy to damage the front sight plus they are meh for sight picture.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I love mine. Bolt release sucks, but not a deal breaker. I bought mine mostly for something different from my AR's and AK's. Breaking them down is a royal pita the first time, but there are a few good vids out there detailing it. I bought mine at Zeroed in Armory, here in South Texas. I was close enough, where I could drive there and save on transfer fees and such. They had the best prices at the time. I've always like dealing with Buds Gun Shop as well. The X95's are a little spendy, but not outrageous. I'm at around 1k rounds with no issues so far. They are fun little, no tax stamp needed, SBR length rifles. I replaced the buttpad, but am happy with every thing else. Even the trigger. It's not a sniper rifle. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree. I'm hard to impress and loved my x95 so much I barely shoot my ARs or AKs anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the Manticore Arms X95 Cantilever forend is a big improvement. Free floats the barrel and elevates your optic too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't regret getting the X95 (in 9mm) however I did install the trigger pack.  As soon as my recent bout of procrastination subsides, I'll install the lightening bow I purchased almost a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the Manticore Arms X95 Cantilever forend is a big improvement. Free floats the barrel and elevates your optic too.
View Quote
How much of an ordeal is installing that? I've seen pictures with it installed amd liked it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the SAR for awhile Sold it and bought a RDB best decision I have made in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How much of an ordeal is installing that? I've seen pictures with it installed amd liked it.
View Quote
It’s easy. Took me about 10-15 min and I was intentionally going slow so I didn’t screw anything up.
Locks in tight too. Very innovative and functional addition for an X95.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
had one. I just sold it. I don't need 16" ballistics inside the house with modern ammo (ie. expanding), and a suppressed 7" 300blk is shorter than the x95 with a can, and the LOP on the AR is more comfortable. And lighter weight.

So I tried to move it to a mid-range role, considering the longer barrel. Unfortunately, the [lack of] precision capabilities and awkwardness of mounting a bipod kind of blew that. Not to mention that I hated putting anything heavier than an RMR or micro optic on it because it already weighs more naked (8lbs) than one of my short ARs does with an optic (ACOG or red dot) and can. And if I'm fine with the extra weight of a 16" gun with a heavier scope (still lighter than an x95 with the same scope), then the benefits of a more comfortable prone experience make up for the additional length - and if I'm shooting in the prone or from a bench, then the short OAL of the x95 is wasted anyway.

I tried to like it, but I couldn't really get it to fit anywhere other than the cool factor, which, for me, wasn't enough to keep the money tied up in it. I sold it and promptly bought 3 more complete AR lowers from PSA and e-filed their form 1s for some SBR projects I've had on the back burner - and had a few hundred dollars left over.

It might be great for you, and some people love them. I have a SCAR16 sbr that I'm also kind of "meh" about because it doesn't seem to offer any real advantage over an AR, but it's noticeably heavier, especially in the front. I'd probably sell that too if I hadn't already SBRd it and chopped the 16" barrel down, but whatever. Honestly my go to are short ARs with Faxon gunner barrels and KAC or BCM mlok rails. Solid, lightweight, and reliable. I've spent years going through different platforms and configurations, and settled on short (between 10.5 and 14.5 depending on application) and lightweight as what I like. The x95 is definitely short, but man... I hated how heavy it was with an optic, can and full mag. ewww.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Haven't tried the X95, but the SAR is a great HD option, not just for the SBR length, but for the rearward balance. It's easy to maneuver, aim and shoot this thing 1-handed, because the rearward balance keeps it socked nicely in the shoulder pocket. Allows you to open doors, or grab things (or kids) with the other hand.

No stamp means you also don't have to worry about crossing state lines with it, to go shooting with friends.

Stock trigger isn't really any worse than some of the stock AR triggers. Geissele's Super Sabra makes it feel like an AR with an SSA. + Lightning Bow = more like an SSA-E.

Aimpoint T2 on Scalarworks 1/3 cowitness mount keeps overall weight down and the 1/3 cowitness mount results in just about absolute cowitness with the stock folding BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As the title states, I am pretty sure that I want an X95, so where do I start? Where is the go to place to find them? (My normal places don't seem to carry them) What will I are the "must have" upgrades? How easy are they to tinker with? Feel free to drop some knowledge or- or talk me out of it and into another bullpup.
View Quote
I ordered mine at GRAB A GUN when it got there I drove down to pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive had mine for a few years Its a SAR . It does everything it was intended to do. Its short , handy, accurate enough for 200, 300 yard hits on steel plates with red dots.   About 600 rounds through it with NOT one stoppage. 100% reliable. Ran a mix of different mags. The SAR is a long stroke gas system.Its takeing alittle to warm up to it.But I have . It's a neat little gun. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I love mine. If I had to sell off my black rifles, it would be the last to go. Yes, over the ARs.

SBR in a full length barrel package. Great HD gun. Balance is perfect. You can walk around with it shouldered, holding it with only one hand. Mine has a suppressor on it, it's my go to gun.

The only downside is the gas blowback into your face when suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Does using a .30 cal can instead of a 5.56 can help alleviate the excessive gas?

How well do they work with say an omega 30?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does using a .30 cal can instead of a 5.56 can help alleviate the excessive gas?

How well do they work with say an omega 30?
View Quote
No, because I am using a .30 cal can

Saker 7.62 here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, guys. Sounds like I need one now. I don't have a can but I might start getting into them...just not real big on filing paperwork for permission, lol. So the gas blowback isn't a concern- yet, but I am pretty keen on the idea that if I do go suppressed, that I it is already short so I won't have to get two stamps. As far as 16" ballistics in a short package, while I am already into 300 BLK, I do get issued some really nice defensive 5.56- along with a lot of green tip. Which makes me a fan of staying with that caliber for my defensive rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top