Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2018 12:02:26 PM EDT
Three is the number of priming tools I've broken over the last year.  Two of them were the hand priming tools from Lee.  The third is an RCBS hand priming tool.  The plastic feeding block is what broke on the Lee tools.  The RCBS looks like a well made durable tool, however it has the most asinine design in the shell holder feeding chute operation.  I am reduced to picking up primers one at the time with tweezers and loading the priming tool one at the time.  Am I the only one here that breaks hand priming tools?  Is there a recommendation for someone with big clumsy mitts like mine?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have crimped primer pockets?  I haven't broken a primer tool ever.  I think you need to get a primer pocket reamer.

BTW, the most exhilarating way to seat primers is with the original Lee Loader. Use a hammer and primer seating tool(metal rod)

One will eventually go off and send the rod into the ceiling
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I have done that with a large rifle primer, very LOUD !!!!

scared the tar out of me  !!

Hornady makes a very inexpensive reamer you can chuck in your cordless drill and can

do many cases while watching tv or a movie if you want.

I just bump this setup enough to take the crimp off...

Later
John
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used RCBS's bench mounted priming tool for over 30 years now and love it. Very fast with a great feel if you choke up on the handle or go gently on the downstroke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've broken the pot metal handle on a Lee tool after probably 10,000 prers, and I bought it used.

To break 3 makes me think there is something else going on here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Tweezers are not needed when handling individual primers.  You will not hurt them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What causes the feeding chute on the RCBS to not work? Mine works great, and I've primed thousands of rounds with it. I'd make sure it's oriented the right way. I did break my chute by knocking the tool off of the bench and RCBS mailed me a new one right away. Even after I told them it was totally my fault.

I also have an RCBS bench priming tool I picked up at a funshow and I don't really like it. I'd rather use the hand primer.

FWIW my RCBS hand primer is the universal version. The only case I've had problems with is 45 Colt and if you pay attention to keep it centered it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing to keep in mind about reloading, if you have to force something that means something is wrong.

Stop and figure out what. Because forcing things breaks tools.

Very true on the press handle also.

When sizing a Berdan case (by accident), the press handle will stop because there is no flashole for the decapping pin to go.

So if you "power through" the decapping pin breaks and possibly the decapping step bends.

You get to learn a valuable lesson the hard way.

Priming works the same way as the example above.
View Quote
Excellent words of wisdom!
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone, I was really exasperated this morning.  The Lee hand primer failure point was the plastic piece that holds the other primers back while the rod is setting the primer into the case.  I can't begin to describe the RCBS issues.  It looks like that radiused arm cut out needs to be chamfered down to allow primers to advance into the area where the rod pushes the primer up and into the case.  I do not understand why the shell holder holds the round where it will fall out if you turn the feed chute up to let gravity move the primers into the tool.  For now, I will continue to use tweezers to place the primer on the rod for each primed case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
i've used a Lyman priming tool for... ever
it just keeps chugging along

the fella that said if you're forcing something, to stop. yeah, that's good advice
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been using a lee hand primer for IDK ever it /they came out, still not broke the original one.

You have a problem that's deeper than you're telling us. Spit it out LOL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I the only one here that breaks hand priming tools?
View Quote
All I can say is that I have never broken a priming tool, but then I am still using all-metal hand priming tools from Lee and RCBS that date from the 1970's and so have never had to deal with plastic parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Three is the number of priming tools I've broken over the last year.  Two of them were the hand priming tools from Lee.  The third is an RCBS hand priming tool.  The plastic feeding block is what broke on the Lee tools.  The RCBS looks like a well made durable tool, however it has the most asinine design in the shell holder feeding chute operation.  I am reduced to picking up primers one at the time with tweezers and loading the priming tool one at the time.  Am I the only one here that breaks hand priming tools?  Is there a recommendation for someone with big clumsy mitts like mine?
View Quote
I would suggest not using a hand primer.

I prime the vast majority of my brass on a progressive press. The leverage makes it effortless, but you can still feel the primer seat with enough tactile precision to know if something is going wrong.

I think consistent primer seating is more about primer pocket prep than the tool used to push the primer in there. A progressive press will do a fine job, even for precision ammunition. The benchrest crowd may quibble on this point, but they have higher standards and more OCD than I do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been using a rock chucker with an auto primer feed. Takes all the drama out of the task and its fast once the tube is loaded up.

Never liked hand priming much so the old lee unit I have just collects dust.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used the same RCBS hand primer for over 20 years.

I've used a friends Lee hand primer a few times.  I can't imagine breaking one without trying to force a primer into a crimped pocket.

My RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press uses APS primer strips.  They also have a bench primer that uses the same strips.  Maybe you should look into that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Three is the number of priming tools I've broken over the last year.  Two of them were the hand priming tools from Lee.  The third is an RCBS hand priming tool.  The plastic feeding block is what broke on the Lee tools.  The RCBS looks like a well made durable tool, however it has the most asinine design in the shell holder feeding chute operation. ... Am I the only one here that breaks hand priming tools?

People seem to break these tools all the time.  They are also seemingly problem-prone.

I am reduced to picking up primers one at the time with tweezers and loading the priming tool one at the time.  

There is no reason to handle primers with a tweezer.  Use your fingers.

Is there a recommendation for someone with big clumsy mitts like mine?

There are several high quality, reliable hand priming tools available.  The Sinclair tool is one of them.  It is an excellent priming tool.  You will NOT break it.  It will last forever.

The RCBS bench mounted tool is fine.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tweezers are not needed when handling individual primers.  You will not hurt them.
View Quote
While i agree, I saw a reloading video advising against this, and in the example it looked like the reloader dipped his hands in a bucket of motor oil/ lube and didn't wipe them off before handling primers.   I would advise washing hands if they're coated or permeated with an oil or lube or other liquid contaminate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
While i agree, I saw a reloading video advising against this, and in the example it looked like the reloader dipped his hands in a bucket of motor oil/ lube and didn't wipe them off before handling primers.   I would advise washing hands if they're coated or permeated with an oil or lube or other liquid contaminate.
View Quote
Do you really think that represents the norm?  A person cannot address all the possible exceptions and you should not try.  There are also people with diseases and disabilities which preclude them from this technique.

Communicate the message first.  Deal with the exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

You can handle primers without a tweezers, if your hands are reasonably clean.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I use the RCBS hand primer and love it.  I just finished a batch of 250 SR 6.5CM brass yesterday, and will be priming another 100 LR 6.5CM brass in a few minutes.

I bought the RCBS first.  It took a little getting used to but I learned it.  I bought a LEE hand primer because so many here said they liked them over the RCBS.  I hated the LEE tool.  I tried to like it but it was junk, IMHO, compared the the RCBS.  I have zero issues and never touch a primer.  The self loading chute works great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I broke 2 Lee's in my life, I am on an RCBS now so far it has been great
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
The RCBS bench priming tool is an absolute tank, and is the only device I’ll use that’s not built into a progressive press. It’s worth the investment.

Shit, I would still buy another if it were 3x the current price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The RCBS bench priming tool is an absolute tank, and is the only device I’ll use that’s not built into a progressive press. It’s worth the investment.

Shit, I would still buy another if it were 3x the current price.
View Quote
I have it also. I use a c clamp to the bench when using. Smooth action and good “feel” for priming
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been using the same RCBS hand primer for ..... well over 20 years.  Friend has been using the Lee for about the same amount of time.  Both are all original.

Have to admit, I really like priming on my Dillon 550 though, it does a great job.  I got the Frankford Arsenal Primer Tube filler for it, and I can prime the hell out of brass lickity split now!

But yeah....always check for crimp on the primer pocket.  I do it after taking the brass out of the tumbler as part of the brass inspection step.  Crimped stuff goes in a bucket to get decrimped at some point.  That's a job I don't really care for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Joint at base of thumb is fused.

Hand priomer is a no go.

The RCBS bench primer is very fast oibne you get a rhythm down.

Down to drop primer.
Up to insert shell.
Down to seat primer.
Remove shell with last two finger.
Down to drop primer.

Insert shell between thumb and index finger.
Drop primed shell in container.
Pick up next shell.

Repeat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Now that I am using the proper LR/SR slide and inserter(?)for my LNL AP it's a dream to load on.

I have broken my original Lee autoprime(first I wore out/flatspotted the cam that inserts the primer then the aluminum body gave out), bought another but then bought my LNLAP.
It was uncomfortable for me to use but got the job done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Now that I am using the proper LR/SR slide and inserter(?)for my LNL AP it's a dream to load on.

I have broken my original Lee autoprime(first I wore out/flatspotted the cam that inserts the primer then the aluminum body gave out), bought another but then bought my LNLAP.
It was uncomfortable for me to use but got the job done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I finally wore out/broke my very first Lee hand priming tool about 6 or 7 years ago.  It was almost 30 years old and had unknown thousands of rounds primed with it.

I had a second one that I'm still using (the older round tray model).

Bought the "new and improved" square tray model, so I'd have two again and I regularly fight with it when it jams up primers in the feed section.

So I bought an even "newer and better" triangular tray Lee tool and so now I have two Lee hand priming tools that hang up, jam up and the triangular one even lets primers turn up sideways in the tray and hang up.  Maybe, some day, I'll run across one or two of the older round tray models at a gun show or pawn shop.

But, I enjoy priming brass.  I do mine in batches of a few hundred at a time and store the primed (ready to load) brass in jugs/cans till I'm ready to sit at the bench and reload it.

My priming area is out front of my garage (faces south) on a sunny winter day.  I've got a nice bench out there and I sit in the sun, prime (also sort brass and trim brass out there) talk to the dogs in their pen and enjoy the warmth of the sun.

My custom made (by me, for me) bench.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top