Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2023 12:29:33 PM EDT
What tips or tricks can have you guys used to get used to wearing them? I can't even stand wearing latex gloves when I change the oil on vehicles or am cutting up peppers and shit. I just hate the way they feel. Any recommendations for gloves that don't have that "constricted" feeling? I currently have mechanix gloves that I use. I guess I should just start wearing them whether doing yard or house work, or out shooting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a matter of getting used to them. The scares on the webbing of my hand is so bad from slide-bite that I don’t really have a choice any more.  Winters here can be tougher too, so no gloves aren’t an option on cold days.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Gloves are really subjective thing and you just need to really play around with the different brands to find a pair you can stand. Then wear them often to get used to them.  

Around my AO you need gloves.  The wooded areas out here are just thick with prickly bushes and it's very easy for your hands to get slashed up or to have thorns pushed into them, which then creates a risk of infection.  Anything urban is going to make gloves a must as well, broken glass, exposed rusted metal all over the place (hope you're current on your Tetanus shot), and splintered wood everywhere.  Not to mention you need to keep your hands as clean as you can so that when you eat (hopefully hand sanitizer is something you carry on your person and you take cleaning your hands very seriously)  you're not eating with dirty hands in the field.  Seems like girly stuff until you look at the men who have died of sickness in wars, especially those before antibiotics and realize that most antibiotics are manufactured overseas so if there were a conflict here in the USA they would be hard to get.  Nobody looks like a hardass when they're shitting themselves to death.  

For winter here gloves are a must for me. Every AR that I have has a Forward Controls Design winter trigger guard as standard just to accommodate my gloves (the Magpul ones don't have enough space).   I have three sets of Winter Gloves, all from Outdoor Research that correspond to different weather conditions from shitty wet cold to below zero to planet Hoth style conditions.  

My favorite pair of general purpose shooting gloves for all season use are the Outdoor Research Ironsight Gloves.  I feel that those gloves give me the "second skin" like feel that is almost on par with the SKD Pig gloves, but are also thick enough to protect me from mother nature and other general crap out there looking to cut me up.   I have the SKD Pigs, and they make a good range gloves but in my opinion they are too thin and with their vents leave your hands too exposed for field use.   The Ironsight Gloves are also pretty darn robust for shooting gloves.  They're not cheap, but it's a buy a few times only cry a few times (all gloves eventually wear out).  

One thing I've noticed is that as I've gotten older my skin is a bit thinner and I seem to get cut more easily.  I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it's definitely one of those things I've noticed and as a consequence I have to protect myself a bit better than when I was a young bro.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Leather.

Go to the farm and ranch store, try them on, get some that fit a little snug and break them in.

Housework? Yeah, I've never worn gloves to mop the floor but I suppose I vould.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
As a mechanic I hated working with latex gloves early on after but after few big and especially filthy jobs nn a row, you practically need a scotch brite to get your hands clean, and digging the crap out from under your nails is gross and time consuming.

Now I almost wont touch a car or a tool without gloves on, as I sit here typing on top of my toolbox in a fresh pair of Diamond Grips.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You’re just going to have to get used to it OP. Gloves inherently feel restricting because, well, they are. Your dexterity will not be the same as when you’re bare handed. Sizing and type of glove will also change the feel. I don’t like the gloves with the knuckle shields as they feel wrong on my hands. Working in lumber at a Lowes for a few years I learned that I liked the suede/leather Mechanix gloves over fabric but they became very slick as they wore out. However, I have a pair of Hatch gloves that I’ve had for decades that I like. After the fingers started wearing through I just chopped the tips off. Seems to be a good compromise between safety and dexterity.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hate gloves as well.

Other than packing bearings with grease, I not wear them unless it is something like welding or handling sharp shit.

Rather my hands be cold than wear gloves.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
There are plenty of good reasons to dislike rubber gloves.

One reason to dislike them is the shitty quality of most of them.
Torn gloves suck.

You can DO SOMETHING about the quality.

Spend the extra $$$ on good rubber gloves. The good ones can even be re-used unless you are handling stuff that actually cuts them.

The 14-mil-thickness gloves are very good.
And only 50 cents per glove. Which is completely worth it if you are handling stuff that's gonna require serious wash-up afterwards if you bare-hand it.

Amazon link
https://a.co/d/iqQj66v

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a matter of getting used to them. The scares on the webbing of my hand is so bad from slide-bite that I don’t really have a choice any more.  Winters here can be tougher too, so no gloves aren’t an option on cold days.
View Quote

Diamond Grips are only 6 mil

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for gloves that "constricted" feeling?
View Quote

Getting gloves that fit you well goes a decent way toward fixing that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
And sometimes gloves just don't help

Tripping with a pan of motor oil is probably an easy clean up By Ashraf
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a pair of leather gloves everywhere I go .  Because of splinters.  But leather is good for general purpose work.  

I only wear them as needed.

Super easy in the dry south west to get splinters and doesn't take long to figure a remedy while digging them out of a festering wound.

Winter gloves

Rubber gloves

Mining I used a black dot glove or if its wet and cold I would use a fuzzy duck glove .  

Depends on what your doing but an injury should set you on the path to the correct tool.  Or prevent the injury first.  

Could be a burn,cut, cold exposure,  chemical, or for function such as grip or hygiene.  

Say a scenario you see a burning vehicle and need to open the door. Bare handed you would be rendered useless pretty easy.    

Asphalt in the Arizona sun is over 150° , you'll know and wear them when needed.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
By housework, I meant work around the house, yard work, building shit, etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
22 years ago, I was at a pistol course (5 day) and I gently mocked two older gents for wearing gloves. Their reply was basically that their age they
learned that they should have been protecting their hands sooner.

Three years later, I was rocking gloves (mostly for carbine courses).

Get used to it and try many different brands/styles/etc.

Each has their pros and cons. It all comes down to this:

With all gloves, there is a trade-off between comfort/fit/dexterity vs durability/protection.

The more a glove has of the former, the less it has of the latter (and vice versa).

Here is a summary of my glove journey:

**SKD PiG gloves (what I currently use): you can perform surgical procedures in them. Comfort, dexterity, and tight fitting. You can pick up change/small things off the ground, etc. It is like wearing a condom on your fingers -- > trigger feel is top notch.

HOWEVER, they are thin and don't provide any impact protection, nor do they have anywhere near the durability of thicker gloves. I hate that, but I still love them.

**Oakley Assault gloves (with the carbon knuckle protection): Fit is not as good as the PiG, but, they protect better and are somewhat more durable than PiG gloves. I liked the protection and durability, but disliked the bulk and feel. If I were still in the Infantry, I would probably be wearing them in the field.

**Petzl rope gloves: Protected my hands very well (thicker leather) and very robust. These will hold up to a beating and keep going. Due to these characteristics, they had even less fit/feel/dexterity than the Pigs or Oakleys.  They are now my go-to work gloves.

**Baseball batting gloves: on par with the Pig gloves for comfort and fit but somewhat less on feel and dexterity. This is due to the batting gloves being a hair thicker than the PiG. A big plus for the batting gloves is that they are sold singly (and relatively cheap), so if you lose or damage a glove, replacement is a breeze. They are on par with PiG for durability.

**GI Issue Nomex flight gloves...on par with Pig gloves for comfort and dexterity. Plus, the cost is very reasonable and they definitely are more durable than PiG gloves. On the other hand, my main gripe was the fit. To me, the flight gloves did not as feel as 'tight' (form fitting) as the PiG or batting gloves. They felt too loose. I like gloves with a wrist closure and flight gloves lack those. This is a personal preference that others may not have issue with. A close friend is a former Army Aviator and he told me that most rotor-heads go to a shop and have their gloves re-sewn to better conform to their hands. It gives them a nice, tight, fit without the need of a wrist closure. I could do that, but, it is a long drive to Rucker just for some shooting gloves.

So, there you have it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home maintenance,  yeah definitely.

Good leather gloves are my first stop for all manual labor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Magpul Ranch gloves are bar none the best leather work gloves I have ever used. So of course they don't make them anymore. I've had them for years and I'm feeling a failure coming on.

As far as shooting with them it's doable but they're a hair thick. They are still the best fitting gloves I've ever owned. I have to agree with the OP, I hate shooting in gloves but need to learn how to as my hands take a beating during run and guns. I wear work gloves all of the time and don't think anything of it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I use maxiflex gloves to shoot in, and do yard work, and do work at my job. Great dexterity, hold up good, comfortable, different kinds too. I just get the standard black palm grey back ones. Hold up good too.
It’s not a mechanix style, but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gloves are really subjective thing and you just need to really play around with the different brands to find a pair you can stand. Then wear them often to get used to them.  

Around my AO you need gloves.  The wooded areas out here are just thick with prickly bushes and it's very easy for your hands to get slashed up or to have thorns pushed into them, which then creates a risk of infection.  Anything urban is going to make gloves a must as well, broken glass, exposed rusted metal all over the place (hope you're current on your Tetanus shot), and splintered wood everywhere.  Not to mention you need to keep your hands as clean as you can so that when you eat (hopefully hand sanitizer is something you carry on your person and you take cleaning your hands very seriously)  you're not eating with dirty hands in the field.  Seems like girly stuff until you look at the men who have died of sickness in wars, especially those before antibiotics and realize that most antibiotics are manufactured overseas so if there were a conflict here in the USA they would be hard to get.  Nobody looks like a hardass when they're shitting themselves to death.  

For winter here gloves are a must for me. Every AR that I have has a Forward Controls Design winter trigger guard as standard just to accommodate my gloves (the Magpul ones don't have enough space).   I have three sets of Winter Gloves, all from Outdoor Research that correspond to different weather conditions from shitty wet cold to below zero to planet Hoth style conditions.  

My favorite pair of general purpose shooting gloves for all season use are the Outdoor Research Ironsight Gloves.  I feel that those gloves give me the "second skin" like feel that is almost on par with the SKD Pig gloves, but are also thick enough to protect me from mother nature and other general crap out there looking to cut me up.   I have the SKD Pigs, and they make a good range gloves but in my opinion they are too thin and with their vents leave your hands too exposed for field use.   The Ironsight Gloves are also pretty darn robust for shooting gloves.  They're not cheap, but it's a buy a few times only cry a few times (all gloves eventually wear out).  

One thing I've noticed is that as I've gotten older my skin is a bit thinner and I seem to get cut more easily.  I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it's definitely one of those things I've noticed and as a consequence I have to protect myself a bit better than when I was a young bro.  

View Quote

Well stated. I'm almost 70, thin skin, busy in my shop and SCARED of cuts etc. and the long term potential of "small" injuries. I keep a gallon baggie with rags and Everclear in all our vehicles. Better than nothing and IMMEDIATE in terms of application. I spend a fair amount on gloves as the Wife is the same as me. Busy with knives, tools etc. Being rural we do treat a lot of "small" injuries ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use maxiflex gloves to shoot in, and do yard work, and do work at my job. Great dexterity, hold up good, comfortable, different kinds too. I just get the standard black palm grey back ones. Hold up good too.
It’s not a mechanix style, but better than nothing.
View Quote

Maxiflex actually work better than Mechanix for me. I use them for almost anything requiring gloves, other than greasing and some oil changes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/fastfit/
All-around, Mechanix Fast Fit gloves are cheap at ~13, and check all the boxes with builtin lanyard loops and no annoying velcro.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#20]
CoC 6
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Nomex Flight Gloves in Iraq - worked fine. Fingertips start fraying, so you'll eventually have finger-less gloves. Cheap enough to just replace when that happens. Could also fit a thin wool liner under them - the Sunni Triangle in Jan had snow in '04.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nomex Flight Gloves in Iraq - worked fine. Fingertips start fraying, so you'll eventually have finger-less gloves. Cheap enough to just replace when that happens. Could also fit a thin wool liner under them - the Sunni Triangle in Jan had snow in '04.
View Quote

@mickdonaldson my dad was with II MEF in fallijah in 06/07 and he sent us a picture of it snowing there.  I thought he was messing with us when I saw the picture.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What tips or tricks can have you guys used to get used to wearing them? I can't even stand wearing latex gloves when I change the oil on vehicles or am cutting up peppers and shit. I just hate the way they feel. Any recommendations for gloves that don't have that "constricted" feeling? I currently have mechanix gloves that I use. I guess I should just start wearing them whether doing yard or house work, or out shooting.
View Quote

@caduckgunner I’m a big fan of SKD Pig gloves.  Thin but decent durability.  My next ones will be the leather palm and stretchy back.  Block Friday they run bogo or buy one half off normally.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I see all kinds of PIG gloves at the SKD website, which ones are you guys talking about?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have several pairs of Head brand gloves from Costco that I can wear while doing just about anything. They're not really work/tactical gloves so I got a set of these in 3xl and have been getting used to them. I have a hard time finding gloves large enough and have been through a lot of pairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DF29IR6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#27]
No Glove......

No Love??????
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Hate to Gen X you but, the answer is to get over your mere discomfort. It isn't anything important. Just wear the fucking gloves.

I know what you mean though. When I was a toddler, I refused to wear pants of any kind. They were absurdly uncomfortable compared to free balling in the breeze. My mom made we wear them, so, I wore the damn pants.

Put on the gloves and embrace your suffering.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#29]
is " I HATE wearing glove"  code speak for you dont like wearing condoms? or you actually talking about work gloves for hand and fingers?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I see all kinds of PIG gloves at the SKD website, which ones are you guys talking about?
View Quote

@Wobblin-Goblin  I've got a few pairs.  I like the winter ones for general winter use.  I've got the Alpha FR ones for shooting & use the Delta for general use or upland bird shooting in warmer weather.    Next time they run a sale I'll probably grab some of the FR Delta gloves.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson my dad was with II MEF in fallijah in 06/07 and he sent us a picture of it snowing there.  I thought he was messing with us when I saw the picture.
View Quote

Yup. Mosul is about the same latitude as Virginia - I know it snowed in Georgia a bunch over the 17 years I was there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yup. Mosul is about the same latitude as Virginia - I know it snowed in Georgia a bunch over the 17 years I was there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent two years in Great Falls, MT at Malmstrom and saw some damn  snow but the absolute coldest I've ever been and the largest snowflakes I've ever seen were at LSA Diamondback in Mosul winter of 03'.............Got damnedest thing I've ever seen
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Wobblin-Goblin  I've got a few pairs.  I like the winter ones for general winter use.  I've got the Alpha FR ones for shooting & use the Delta for general use or upland bird shooting in warmer weather.    Next time they run a sale I'll probably grab some of the FR Delta gloves.
View Quote

Thanks. I ordered a few pairs and will see which ones I like best.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I spent two years in Great Falls, MT at Malmstrom and saw some damn  snow but the absolute coldest I've ever been and the largest snowflakes I've ever seen were at LSA Diamondback in Mosul winter of 03'.............Got damnedest thing I've ever seen
View Quote

(Forgive the Hijack) Dude! - we must have been there the same time, in the same storm I was down Hwy 1/Tampa in Baiji at K2 Airfield (re-named FOB Summerall later, IIRC) Winter '03 to '04. Too funny.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I hated gloves when I was in.  I still hate gloves.  For shooting/"Operations," Imma show my age and say that my favorite were the wrist length Hatch Operators.  Unfortunately, those are discontinued.  Second best were my issue CVC gloves, then Mechanix.  All three met the BN SOP of "fire resistant" and the hatch and CVC gloves had a good fit.  

For yard work, I just get the "members mark" branded leather gloves at Sam's.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Try removing cactus without gloves…you’ll never touch them again without gloves.  Or, processing jalapeños or hot green chilies.  

Our neighbor once got a burlap bag of Hatch green chilies.  They sold her son, ones that were supposed to be used in pepper spray.  She actually had blisters on her fingers for weeks, and she was an elderly lady who was used to it.

It takes time to learn how each type of gloves work.  Rubbers for housework, because I use bleach & other chemicals to deep clean.  Rubbers under cloth when I’m grubbing in the garden dirt, because, without the protection, I can guarantee my fingers will split & bleed. Heavy leather gloves for trimming trees, including no cut arm bands.  Then elbow high leather gloves for the BBQ.  

Like others have said, try various types, work with them on.  It’s annoying, but it just might save you from an injury.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I ordered three pair of gloves from SKD Tactical. They are PIG (FDT) Alpha in multicam black, PIG (FDT) Alpha FR in Ranger green, and PIG (FDT) Delta FR in Ranger Green. Here is my initial review on them:

1. PIG (FDT) Delta FR in Ranger green: these seem to be the best gloves of the batch. They are more minimalist vs. the other two pair and as a result, they fit the best and the dexterity is superior as well. A note of caution, however, all three pairs fit fairly snug on my hands, even with them being XL in size. I almost always end up buying XL sized gloves and they typically fit pretty well, no matter the brand, type, or material, but all three of these are tighter than any other XLs I've ever worn. This pair is somewhat comfortable, certainly more comfortable than the other two pairs. There is no velcro wrist strap on these, so that's one less thing to fumble with.

2. PIG (FDT) Alpha FR in Ranger green: these are the second best pair due to being not quite as good as the Delta above in every single category...except one. They do offer more protection all-around. I like them, just not quite as well as the Deltas. This pair does have a velcro wrist strap.

3. PIG (FDT) Alpha in Multicam black: these are the least comfortable of the three and are the most slick or slippery when handling things like firearms and mags. They are the stiffest of the bunch, too. They offer more protection than the Deltas, but it's not worth the trade-off (slick and stiff). This pair does have a velcro wrist strap.

I recommend the Delta FR and Alpha FR in that order. I don't recommend the Alpha.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#38]
When shit happens, it’s easier to shoot without gloves, when you are proficient at shooting with gloves.
It’s MUCH harder to shoot with gloves when you are only proficient without gloves.

I wear gloves at work half the year. So, being forced to shoot with gloves on is a real possibility.  For this reason, I shoot with gloves on all year long.  

I use Sitka Shooter gloves at the range and Head gloves from Costco when at work.  I work with lots of guys who use Pig gloves and while they are good gloves, they don’t hold up quite as well as the Sitka. The main issue I’ve seen is busted stitching.  You’ll like them, but if you’re looking for an alternative in the future, go put on some Sitkas

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Ansell HyFlex 11-600 Nylon Polyurethane Glove
Many factory workers wear them.   I buy them by the case.   You can order by exact size number, for a perfect fit.
Available at Amazon and other places.
No hand sweating, and you can pick up a dime with them on.

Mechanix Wear MFF-03-010 Fast Fit Gloves are second best, for a bit heavier glove.   They used to be my #1 glove, but now it's just the Ansell HyFlex 11-600s.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Finding the right gloves is key. I have different gloves for stuff. Searching someone vs fighting someone etc. I think the thinner the glove the more comfortable but then you get into them tearing. I really like the mechanix 0.5mm gloves. Those are awesome as a good balance between dexterity and durability. Also the dipped gloves for yard work with nitrile over them are excellent for simple things. Though they will let your hands breathe they do also allow fluid through so not good for oils, blood etc. Sizing is also important I’m usually between a medium and large and I like to buy medium so that the glove will stretch and excess material doesn’t foul a slide or a draw with a weapon. Lastly make sure the gloves can be washed over and over.

Basically you have to try a bunch and see what you like for different tasks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#41]
After seeing lots of older folks like me go through "cuts" that result in infections I have gloves everywhere. I'm not going to get a cut infected that causes me to go to the Doc. I wear leather "sleeves" when working brush or mowing so I don't get cut then either. It's just too easy to wear gloves now for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ansell HyFlex 11-600 Nylon Polyurethane Glove
Many factory workers wear them.   I buy them by the case.   You can order by exact size number, for a perfect fit.
Available at Amazon and other places.
No hand sweating, and you can pick up a dime with them on.

Mechanix Wear MFF-03-010 Fast Fit Gloves are second best, for a bit heavier glove.   They used to be my #1 glove, but now it's just the Ansell HyFlex 11-600s.

View Quote

Cool Tip, thx.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the mechanix 0.5mm gloves. A pair will usually last me 2-4 field problems depending on length and what I’m doing. More likely I will lose the gloves before they wear out.

The OR aerator gloves were bueno but I don’t think they make them anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top