Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2018 11:33:06 PM EDT
My Sunday here in Colorado was like this

So I Duracoated my RPR into this

Here's what I did.....

First off, I got some heat going in my garage. It only took a few minutes to get it up to t-shirt temperature inside

Next, I adapted my paint booth so that the fans exhausted through the window

Next, strip the RPR and prep it with lots of Brake Cleaner

Next, mask off the areas you don't want painted and stuff towels inside the chamber to prevent paint intrusion

I'm going to use Duracoat's aerosol 'can in a can' product. I've used it for 4 years and have always had perfect results

I bought an extremely handy attachment years ago for my reciprocating saw - you strap the spray paint can in its cradle, and use the saw to shake it up better than your arm ever could

I'm switching out the rail from the oem 15" Samson Keymod rail for the 18" Midwest Industries M-Lok rail. So once the MI rail is prepped, in it goes to the paint booth for its first coat of Magpul FDE

Next up is the RPR while the first coat is drying on the rail

In between coats, I hang them from these collapsible saw horses. In total, each piece received 4 coats.

After the last coat, I take them to my basement to continue drying for two days.

After two days, everything is dry and hardened - ready for reassembly now. I switched the oem adjustable stock for a Magpul PRS Gen3 stock in Magpul's FDE. You can see that the Duracoat matches Magpul's color perfectly.

Time to take it my new sexy RPR to the range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What heater is that? Would love one for my garage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
What grip is that?  I have to assume it's functionality is inversely proportionate to its beauty, I could see it working really well for the perfect trigger pull.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What heater is that? Would love one for my garage.
View Quote
The heater is like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-LPC200DG-Liquid-Propane-Convection/dp/B00K8H8840/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1516766705&sr=8-16&keywords=propane+heater
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What grip is that?  I have to assume it's functionality is inversely proportionate to its beauty, I could see it working really well for the perfect trigger pull.
View Quote
It's the 'Enhanced Vertical Grip' from MasterPiece Arms. Yeah, it's ugly as sin, but it feels great for precision shooting. https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-enhanced-vertical-grip/
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I like your paint shaker.  Going to have to make one of those.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like your paint shaker.  Going to have to make one of those.
View Quote
This is the shaker attachment I bought - works great.  https://www.amazon.com/MixKwik-MT16-Tool/dp/B0055S7DJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516770834&sr=8-1&keywords=reciprocating+saw+paint+shaker
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent job! Looks beautiful.

Is that the UTG bipod? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Well that is one of the better looking Duracoat spray jobs I've seen in some time, looks nice and flat instead of the typical gloss sheen that is usually photographed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excellent job! Looks beautiful.

Is that the UTG bipod? How do you like it?
View Quote
Yes, it's the new-ish UTG M-Lok bipod. It's actually a decent bipod. Works perfectly fine for range work. I wouldn't take it on a tour in AFG, but for everything I do here it's fine. This is my second of these bipods. The first one I've been using on my AR-10 build for the last 6 months or so.

(meh grouping at 100yds, but it was using crappy Malaysian surplus 308.....photo is meant to show the bipod )
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well that is one of the better looking Duracoat spray jobs I've seen in some time, looks nice and flat instead of the typical gloss sheen that is usually photographed.
View Quote
Thanks. The key to a flat paint outcome is light coats. If you try to put Duracoat on thick, it will become glossy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice coating job! I like your paint booth improvisations, the paint shaker attachment, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
@troy_v

Looks good.

What procedure did you use to prep the surface?

I have some small parts I'd like to duracoat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's crucial to get the oils off the surface of the parts you'll paint. I use brake cleaner - lots and lots of brake cleaner. Spray a bunch on, let it evaporate, spray some more, etc. Keep doing that until it's very obvious that all the oil is gone. I typically use at least a full bottle of brake cleaner, sometimes two, on one rifle that I will paint. If the parts to be painted are very smooth (ie., not porous, or textured at all), then roughen it up slightly with very fine sandpaper or steel wool. Just make certain to thoroughly clean off all the dust particles before painting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice write up. Thanks for the effort
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's crucial to get the oils off the surface of the parts you'll paint. I use brake cleaner - lots and lots of brake cleaner. Spray a bunch on, let it evaporate, spray some more, etc. Keep doing that until it's very obvious that all the oil is gone. I typically use at least a full bottle of brake cleaner, sometimes two, on one rifle that I will paint. If the parts to be painted are very smooth (ie., not porous, or textured at all), then roughen it up slightly with very fine sandpaper or steel wool. Just make certain to thoroughly clean off all the dust particles before painting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the response.

I have duracoats degreaser & the parts are new & never been installed/lubricated.

I'll have to give it a go once I pick up an airbrush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top