Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 9:28:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If it has an electronic trigger - it is a MG

I don't know how you'd build a remote control tank without an electronic trigger
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
That is where I was struggling.  So even if the mechanism could never fire automatically all electronic activated triggers are mgs?
View Quote
Nope; that would only apply in mechanisms where the electronic trigger could render the firearm to fire fully automatically more than one round.

Remington offered an electrically-fired 700.

If the R/C gun could self-reload, I think the reloading action would need to be triggered by a separate switch or control input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
If it has an electronic trigger - it is a MG

I don't know how you'd build a remote control tank without an electronic trigger
View Quote
Can you provide a cite for that claim?

As far as the potential AOW issue, I would believe as long as the tank itself is over 26" long it should be title I.  It's not concealable, and it''s a tank.  It''s not disguised as a non firearm object
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#5]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Nope; that would only apply in mechanisms where the electronic trigger could render the firearm to fire fully automatically more than one round.

Remington offered an electrically-fired 700. late 90's IIRC

If the R/C gun could self-reload, I think the reloading action would need to be triggered by a separate switch or control input.
View Quote
Yep, It basically increased accuracy .001 MOA, and cost 2k. it didn't really catch on. lol

ALso why build a tank? a TANK is designed to take hits and keep in the fight because there is a crew in side. why not save a TON of weight (literally) and figureativly, and simply make an unarmored drone(IE like bomb robot used in dallas),

"sir we have a high risk mission"
"send in the mini tank" VS  "send in a squad"
"oh no it got blown up, we have to write a letter to the golf cart that gave up a battery and the m16 reciver we had bolted to it..." VS "mrs jones..."
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ShooterPatriot:

As far as the potential AOW issue, I would believe as long as the tank itself is over 26" long it should be title I.  It's not concealable, and it''s a tank.  It''s not disguised as a non firearm object
View Quote
Do some research, ATF has stated an electronic trigger is "readily convertible" and therefore is a machine gun

If it was a single shot, or at least not an auto-loader, it may be ok.

If it had a bore less than .50" and was longer than 26" it wouldn't be a DD or an AOW, likely just classified as a "firearm"
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Do it with a black powder cannon.

That would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen this done on various TV shows. Keep in mind, not a lawyer, so research further. You electronically activate a mechanical trigger. so push a button, that pushes an actuator and the actuator is what pushed the trigger. you can just slap an existing Glock or AR into it and go to town.

HOWEVER: there was a guy that did this with a basic drone. as far as I know the FBI/BATFE showed up at his house and started asking questions. not sure how it ultimately turned out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShooterPatriot] [#10]
Do some research, ATF has stated an electronic trigger is "readily convertible" and therefore is a machine gun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ShooterPatriot:

I don't need to do research because your claim is completely false.  See question #21 in the attached link.  Electronic fly by wire triggers on semi-autos are fine.

http://m.imgur.com/a/vt2Qz

There is also a member here who makes a bullpup with an electronic trigger based on a 10/22.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/428429_What_has_a_barrel_length_of_16_1__an_OAL_of_26_3__and_yet_fits_in_a_23_long_box_.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
An r/c anything with a working firearm isn't something I would want anywhere near me. Seen r/c models go totally bonkers and out of control of the operator.

Although did hear of a guy who put a semi-auto pistol on a rc helicopter with remote firing and put a video of it online. Needless to say heard he got visited by a few of the alphabet agencies.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GriswoldGuns] [#13]
If you did 6-8 black powder barrels (like that small tank with recoiless rifles on it) and ignited each charge with the model rocket igniters, wouldn't that be ok? Blunderbusses and wood and brass exterior if you want to class it up.

Or could you use a pneumatic weapon and also avoid legal issues? Some of those big bore air rifles pack a punch.

ETA: the tank I was thinking is the M50 Ontos.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
An r/c anything with a working firearm isn't something I would want anywhere near me. Seen r/c models go totally bonkers and out of control of the operator.
View Quote
That's why you want one with great control range, so you can send it to work far away. 

This bird is a MG.

Unmanned Mini-Helicopter Gets 'Weaponized' with AA-12 Shotgun

http://www.autocopter.us/Gunship.htm
Plenty of contact info here. I'd ask them about registering something smaller than a full auto 12ga.
Or write ATF. Seriously, I don't see it hurting anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top