Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 6:37:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for recommendations on a hydration pack. I'm looking for 2.5, 3.0L in size. I am wondering if they have one that can go from being used solely to attached to the back of a PC. I plan on using it for bicycle rides, then for training with the PC. It looks like the Condor is capable of doing that. Are there any others out there? What's the hives opinion of Condor?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Condor, in general, pooy thought of.

Any USGI surplus should do.  You can buy new bags if needed
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3l Camelbaks that can be carried like a backpack (the military type) and I have 4 Grimloc carabiners on them so I can attach them to the back of my carriers or packs. I can also just wear them like a backpack over the carriers if need be. It's not exactly ideal but it works if I needed it to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So basically for training?  2.5-3 liters for the bladder sounds large.  I'd be thinking 1.5-2 liters, maybe with some internal baffling if your training movements result in a lot of sloshing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vim:
So basically for training?  2.5-3 liters for the bladder sounds large.  I'd be thinking 1.5-2 liters, maybe with some internal baffling if your training movements result in a lot of sloshing.
View Quote

It'd be for training, but also SHTF scenarios as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Condor, in general, pooy thought of.

Any USGI surplus should do.  You can buy new bags if needed
View Quote

That's what I've heard before, just wasn't sure if they have improved or not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out ebay , search 3 Liter surplus camelbacks there are a ton of options for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Source hydration is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By a43mranger:
Source hydration is the answer you seek
View Quote

I've been looking at these.  Do you know how are they are with a pack over it?  Any issues?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

This.

The only answer.

Mines held human weight without busting multiple times.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Any opinions on OP Tactical, specifically the Source Rider and the RE Factor Eagle Yote?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Cdnn has some of the source backs for pretty cheap.  I have one with storage and its sweet with a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Campy6169:
Any opinions on OP Tactical, specifically the Source Rider and the RE Factor Eagle Yote?
View Quote

I like source bladders, I dont like their carriers.  I actually prefer the issue hydration carrier over the others as a stand alone hydration pack, if I need pockets I have an old school camelbak hawg.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Currently running a 1L source in a flatpack. The water bottle attachment is good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Camelbak Mule for over the carrier or chest rig and light hikes.  It has a small pocket for storage but mainly just for hydration.  And source bladders are your friend.  Much stronger than camelbak bladders and easier to clean and fill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Eagle Yote pack.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Reach52:
Cdnn has some of the source backs for pretty cheap.  I have one with storage and its sweet with a plate carrier.
View Quote

How are you attaching it to the plate carrier?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Campy6169:

That's what I've heard before, just wasn't sure if they have improved or not.
View Quote

The USMC pack is pretty good. The straps stow easily and it has adjustable attachment points that will weave through Molle or work with some other options. The bladder is Source brand I think, zipper top for quick fills and ice plus has quick connects that work easily with inline filters.

Only downside I see to it is no accessory zippered compartment. I carry my in line filter inside with the bladder.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a link how to install a source on a PC or any molle

https://youtu.be/gmcvQL_HUkk
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
Eagle Yote pack.
View Quote

This or I picked up an AWS version of the Eagle recently.  It looks like they are out of stock at the moment though AWS - 50657 ASSAULT PACK
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BigD18:

This or I picked up an AWS version of the Eagle recently.  It looks like they are out of stock at the moment though AWS - 50657 ASSAULT PACK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigD18:
Eagle Yote pack.

This or I picked up an AWS version of the Eagle recently.  It looks like they are out of stock at the moment though AWS - 50657 ASSAULT PACK

Ah forgot about AWS. They are solid!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Ah forgot about AWS. They are solid!
View Quote

They were a little slow shipping.  I immediately got a shipping label notification but it took another week to get the pack.  The Eagle includes the 100oz Source bladder so that may factor in on your decision.  The AWS has a completely removable beaver tail with lots of molle for adding preferred pouches, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Be advised, if you try to use a Camelbak hose (because the Source hose is huge and the bite valve terrible) it will be able to wobble inside the quick connect and drain three liters of water in your trunk under even slight pressure.

Kinda soured me on them.  I do like the premise of the fold-top as well as Nalgen-thread openings, though.  Lots of filters & accessories attach to the 63mm thread profile.

I've been very satisfied with my Hydrapak products so far (I have a lightweight 3L bladder called the Shape Shifter that may be too light duty for OP though I've had no issues backpacking with it, and the other is a 6L storage bladder).  They beat the tar out of my Camelbak products as far as water taste, and the silicone hose is better than the crack-prone vinyl Camelbak uses.  The bite valve isn't as good, but I'm pretty sure it's just because Camelbak has a patent/copyright on theirs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I went with the Source Rider 3L low profile. Should be here today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Most modern packs are bladder-friendly.  Many older packs can be made to do so, even if they did not have bladder compatibility in mind when designed.

The trick is to make sure a sheet frame is installed in one's small pack.  Doing wo will greatly aid load-carrying capacity, and user comfort.

For the most part, bladders require a shallow depth compartment into which they can be inserted, and so stay upright, and useable.  Some packs, not having such, can use the integral radio pouch to contain a differently dimensioned bladder to good effect.

If one's pack lacks such an internal compartment, capable of supporting a typical bladder, there are many external bladder carriers available.

As time goes by, and bladder failures happen, I have come to appreciate the old, indestructible, 1 Qt GI canteens.  The conformal canteen cups and stoves add some value to this approach.

YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top