Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 4:16:51 PM EDT
Is there anything comparable or better than the hybrid 46 that works for straight wall rifle like 45-70 and 450BM but also for 9mm pistols? Mainly something lighter. This thing is 17+ ounces.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The Rex Silentium MG10-458 is 19oz.  The taper mount Bushwacker 46 is 16oz.  The Hybrid isn’t overweight for its size and materials.  For intermittent shooting schedules an all aluminum can could be made.  Even an all titanium Form 1 1.5” x 8” will be around 12 ounces. Weights go up with a booster housing and piston/spring assembly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Wierd. I thought the Hybrid was surprisingly light. You can shave a few ounces by using the anchor brake instead of the flat cap.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea what the Griffin Bushwacker weighs
RexSilentium will do a 458 in whatever length you want
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rex Silentium MG7 458 is a good choice, only weighs a hair over 12 ounces.  Will have them back in-stock in the next 2 weeks.
View Quote
That looks like it would be good for rifle, but not pistol/handgun, correct?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That looks like it would be good for rifle, but not pistol/handgun, correct?
View Quote
You need a booster
But it’s 1.7” OD
I wouldn’t use it on pistols
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not the Rugged Obsidian 45?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wierd. I thought the Hybrid was surprisingly light. You can shave a few ounces by using the anchor brake instead of the flat cap.
View Quote
With Hansohn Brothers .30 ti front cap and ti direct thread mount my Hybrid weighs 14.7 ounces. Sure a Rex MG7 weighs less because it’s a k-can only 5/8 as long with half as many baffles.  By the time you buy an additional booster housing for pistols the Rex costs start closing the gap.

I will very occasionally shoot a Hybrid on Glock 20 or 21, but for pistols the 1.375” diameter suppressors seem more appropriate.  If I had to pick one it would probably be the Obsidian 45.  Its close to 12 ounces full size.

Depending on whether pistols or rifles are the driver determines the best choice(s) in terms of weight, length, diameter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With Hansohn Brothers .30 ti front cap and ti direct thread mount my Hybrid weighs 14.7 ounces. Sure a Rex MG7 weighs less because it’s a k-can only 5/8 as long with half as many baffles.  By the time you buy an additional booster housing for pistols the Rex costs start closing the gap.

I will very occasionally shoot a Hybrid on Glock 20 or 21, but for pistols the 1.375” diameter suppressors seem more appropriate.  If I had to pick one it would probably be the Obsidian 45.  Its close to 12 ounces full size.

Depending on whether pistols or rifles are the driver determines the best choice(s) in terms of weight, length, diameter.
View Quote
This would be used 90% of the time on a rifle but would be nice to have the occasional capability of a 9mm pistol.

Edit: The obsidian 45 looks really good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
That’s why I compared the Hybrid to the similar sized MG10 and Bushwacker.  A light k-can out on the end of a long barrel, closed breech big bore cartridge gun is great for taking the edge off supers with the crack out in front anyway, but if you shoot heavy subs you will still want some volume through length to get a nice quiet thumper gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
So the obsidian wouldnt be good for rifles, and the hybrid wouldnt be good for pistols. Even though both market them as such. I guess theres no having cake and eating it too?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So the obsidian wouldnt be good for rifles, and the hybrid wouldnt be good for pistols. Even though both market them as such. I guess theres no having cake and eating it too?
View Quote
Jack of all... master of none.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can get close with a modular 1.375” diameter, all titanium (excepted for the first 2-3 baffles) user serviceable modular set up.  I bet ECCO Machine has tried something close.

The Griffin Optimus works for up to 9mm. Once you get to .45 the bigger diameter tube really helps with full power, non-subsonic loads, or you have to get much longer than that 8-9” sweet spot. I think the Bushwacker is a 1.5” tube.

Hybrid is workable on a nightstand gun with a red dot.  It’s much better for subguns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can get close with a modular 1.375” diameter, all titanium (excepted for the first 2-3 baffles) user serviceable modular set up.  I bet ECCO Machine has tried something close.

The Griffin Optimus works for up to 9mm. Once you get to .45 the bigger diameter tube really helps with full power, non-subsonic loads, or you have to get much longer than that 8-9” sweet spot. I think the Bushwacker is a 1.5” tube.

Hybrid is workable on a nightstand gun with a red dot.  It’s much better for subguns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Works great on a bedside gun, but without the RDS, it’d be nearly impossible to aim.......and it’s fucking heavy for a pistol can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
There goes my hopes and dreams
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Would the Obsidian 45 be good for .357 Mag from a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't hate my Hybrid on my xdm45, though its certainly not optimal for that. The suppressor sights sit just a hair above flush with the top of the can, so "aiming through" is easy enough and I get good hits. Yeah, it's a bit heavy no doubt, but boy does that 45 sit flat with all that heft out front! On a G17/19 its a bit more gangly though. Havent tried it on 45-70 yet, barrel isnt threaded. Its good on my scorpion and some others, so as was mentioned, it really is a "jack of all, master of none" can. Still, the utility is nice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rex Silentium MG7 458 is a good choice, only weighs a hair over 12 ounces.  Will have them back in-stock in the next 2 weeks.
View Quote
How is this on 450B?  Looking for something for it that I could also put on a 9mm/.45 PCC also.

thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t see why not. I use both a Resistance 9 and TiRant 45 on my Henry 357 carbine. Both are stupid quiet with 38spl.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
How quiet can you really get a 45-70 with a hybrid?  Would a fast powder work better?  I know it will never be .22 lr quiet, but how low will it go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is this on 450B?  Looking for something for it that I could also put on a 9mm/.45 PCC also.

thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks!
At under 6" I'm betting it is loud as shit on a 450BM. My hybrid is 7.6" with around 12 baffles and 450 is pretty damn loud. Still, better than unsuppressed. Lots of people around here have 450s and everyone bitches about what a loud round it is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#24]
The hybrid should do what you are wanting. It functions on my beretta and 1911. You will need a RDS to aim though.

It’s a decent suppressor. I use it mostly on rifles but will put it on a pistol occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
User serviceable
Any and every mounting interface you could want
Top quality materials
Great price
Lots of painstaking R&D

The Bushwhacker 46 is a phenomenal can and it should definitely be worth a few minutes of tour time to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XanSxIOUEs
View Quote
Thats a nice option. Great vid. The .450 sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m very pleased with the performance of the Hybrid, however I’m certain I would have purchased the Bushwacker instead, had it been available.  A user serviceable Hybrid is how I view the Bushwacker & Griffin’s sound testing video solidified my thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m very pleased with the performance of the Hybrid, however I’m certain I would have purchased the Bushwacker instead, had it been available.  A user serviceable Hybrid is how I view the Bushwacker & Griffin’s sound testing video solidified my thoughts.
View Quote
I feel the same after watching the video.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I am in the process of building a 375 Raptor and would like to have a 338 Lapua (not sure why with the range limits that are easily accessible).  I think the Griffin Armament Bushwacker 46 is just what I need.  I have two of their cans already and they work great.  I have an Alpha and Revolution 45.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
User serviceable
Any and every mounting interface you could want
Top quality materials
Great price
Lots of painstaking R&D

The Bushwhacker 46 is a phenomenal can and it should definitely be worth a few minutes of tour time to check out.
View Quote
How does it sound on a 45-70 rifle? Hearing safe?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably, mine sounds great on a .44 mag rifle with subs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  45-70 is loud unless you dive deep into hand loading.   You need volume for it.  That's also why I wouldn't run the Obsidian with it.  The Obsidian is a fantastic pistol can, but 45-70 can... not something I would do.  
View Quote
Wait, so Rugged lists the Obsidian as rated for the .45-70, why would they rate it as such if it won't handle it?  Are you implying that they aren't being honest, or they don't know what they are talking about?  Honestly, I'd like to know.  Disclaimer:  I don't own a .45-70, so this is just technical interest on my part.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wait, so Rugged lists the Obsidian as rated for the .45-70, why would they rate it as such if it won't handle it?  Are you implying that they aren't being honest, or they don't know what they are talking about?  Honestly, I'd like to know.  Disclaimer:  I don't own a .45-70, so this is just technical interest on my part.
View Quote
Its rated for it, but lacks sufficient volume to suppress it effectively.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
So basically its a moderator, rather than a suppressor in that particular role?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top