Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2020 10:15:11 AM EDT
Got the long awaited green light the other day to build the wife a bolt action, and the Howa mini is the perfect choice. Except, I can’t find anything still available. I really just need a barreled action, or basic donor rifle, and every site seems to be sold out. I read somewhere the mini was possibly discontinued too, any truth to that? If anyone has a line on a new blued .223 mini I’d definitely appreciate it!
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got the long awaited green light the other day to build the wife a bolt action, and the Howa mini is the perfect choice. Except, I can’t find anything still available. I really just need a barreled action, or basic donor rifle, and every site seems to be sold out. I read somewhere the mini was possibly discontinued too, any truth to that? If anyone has a line on a new blued .223 mini I’d definitely appreciate it!
View Quote

Look at the CZ 527!
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look at the CZ 527!
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Interesting, thanks! I’ll have to look not the barrel and bolt situation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You definitely missed the boat on the barreled actions. I haven't heard anything about Howa discontinuing them and they are still listed in the most current catalog and on the website. Just shoot them an email and ask.

The bolt and barrel what's the point? There may be differences on the receiver as well. If he wants a 223 he needs to just find a 223.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The bolt and barrel what's the point? There may be differences on the receiver as well. If he wants a 223 he needs to just find a 223.
View Quote

Got a line on one? ;)
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got a line on one? ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a line on one? ;)

If you know what you want I would just set a bunch of stock notifications and wait till one hits.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you know what you want I would just set a bunch of stock notifications and wait till one hits.
View Quote

Yeah thats probably about all I can do. It really is amazing how everything gun related is out of stock, I really can't believe there was even a run on .223 bolt actions!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah thats probably about all I can do. It really is amazing how everything gun related is out of stock, I really can't believe there was even a run on .223 bolt actions!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt there was a big run on them as there have been plenty of other available options. I don't think they are a high volume gun for them and I'm sure covid has made the whole importation and shipping game harder as well.

Honestly like I said I would probably just shoot them an email and ask what's up.

Grabagun has a CZ 527 suppressor ready in stock
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey OP I was in my local cabelas and they had five Howa 223's for $450. Pretty cool little guns. Camo stocks and threaded barrels. Here's a link for one in Texas that I think is the same thing https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100527741

The guy said they were new but they were in the gun library with used guns. My guess is they are factory blems or the like as they seem to get a bunch of those. Don't think you're going to beat that price. I took some crappy phone pics but the cabelas link is better. If you have a store locally you can have the gun shipped there for free or you used to be able to. If you're not near a store the guys in my store are usually pretty easy to deal with and familiar with the shipping process.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey OP I was in my local cabelas and they had five Howa 223's for $450. Pretty cool little guns. Camo stocks and threaded barrels. Here's a link for one in Texas that I think is the same thing https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100527741

The guy said they were new but they were in the gun library with used guns. My guess is they are factory blems or the like as they seem to get a bunch of those. Don't think you're going to beat that price. I took some crappy phone pics but the cabelas link is better. If you have a store locally you can have the gun shipped there for free or you used to be able to. If you're not near a store the guys in my store are usually pretty easy to deal with and familiar with the shipping process.
View Quote

Hey thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Best current production choices are probably that CZ or maybe the Tikka CTR in .223. I prefer a faster twist of 1:8 or 1:7. Ruger makes a good rifle in the American to buy cheap and drop into a chassis.

Edit to add T/C Compass has a reputation of great accuracy, but it’s 1:9.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best current production choices are probably that CZ or maybe the Tikka CTR in .223. I prefer a faster twist of 1:8 or 1:7. Ruger makes a good rifle in the American to buy cheap and drop into a chassis.

Edit to add T/C Compass has a reputation of great accuracy, but it’s 1:9.
View Quote

Better do your research if you are dropping a 223 Ruger American into a chassis. The 3 lug bolt of the American doesn't play well with AICS mags and I can't remember if the AR mag version can be converted to AICS mags. I bought a Ranch and Magpul Hunter stock for the sole purpose of a fun little plinker but when I went to research mags found out that nobody has found a combo that works real well.

Magpul says theirs will work but I am not sure I believe them because they don't really exist. Supposedly the COAL will be shorter with the magpul mags as well. I wouldn't have bought either had I known that before hand.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ruger-american-223-stock-replacement.6947542/
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Better do your research if you are dropping a 223 Ruger American into a chassis. The 3 lug bolt of the American doesn't play well with AICS mags and I can't remember if the AR mag version can be converted to AICS mags. I bought a Ranch and Magpul Hunter stock for the sole purpose of a fun little plinker but when I went to research mags found out that nobody has found a combo that works real well.

Magpul says theirs will work but I am not sure I believe them because they don't really exist. Supposedly the COAL will be shorter with the magpul mags as well. I wouldn't have bought either had I known that before hand.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ruger-american-223-stock-replacement.6947542/
View Quote

That’s a pretty big bummer. For what it’s worth, the 5.56 precision uses AICS .223 mags and they seem to work well.

Come to think of it, Ruger made a 5.56 Scout rifle that runs on the same mags and that always looked like a fun and interesting rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That’s a pretty big bummer. For what it’s worth, the 5.56 precision uses AICS .223 mags and they seem to work well.

Come to think of it, Ruger made a 5.56 Scout rifle that runs on the same mags and that always looked like a fun and interesting rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I would have bought the precision had I known about this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The Howa actions in all the popular calibers are out of stock, if you want something niche like .22-250 or .243, they're available.

It's rather funny how the barreled action at Brownells is the same price as the rifle at Cabelas. I guess it's the difference between one shipping container a year worth vs a few containers a month.

Too bad because of the Elf Owl being recommended for 5.56-length cartridges than the Screech Owl, and I'm surprised Brownells hasn't offered a .350 Legend action.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate the other options, a Tikka is looking interesting, and the MDT LSS stock I want to use is an option with a T3x. Seems to be a little more aftermarket for Tikka as well. This one needs to be small and light for the wife, I think a RPR might be a little much in her eyes. Not logical I know, but what can you do. ;) I see some T3x Lite rifles out there, could always have one cut and threaded down to 18” or so, that in a LSS might be a cool little package.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The tikka action is significantly bigger so if small and light is the goal Howa CZ or even a Remington model 7 a bit better.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Whitaker’s guns in western Ky near Owensboro have Howa Mini Action 223 rifles in stock.

https://www.whittakerguns.com/store/shop?sorting=inventory_desc&d=amount:0:8000,count:1:10000&searchTerm=Howa%20&list=false&paging=page:0,size:20,index:0
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Appreciate all the info, thanks guys. I’ve been googling these for days, and I think I am going to go for the T3x Lite. Yes the action is longer, but it’s pretty much the same weight as the mini action 20”, since the only mini’s available seem to be the heavy barrel. I also think the two stage Timney trigger available for the T3x is a very good option. I might consider cutting it down to 18”, we’ll see. MDT LSS chassis is ordered, when it all gets here I’ll be able to see how the 22” barrel handles. Again, thanks for the ideas and input, it helped a lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It's weird to me that you want lightweight but also the chassis which is pretty heavy at almost 3 pounds depending on which stock you go with. Glad you got it figured out though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's weird to me that you want lightweight but also the chassis which is pretty heavy at almost 3 pounds depending on which stock you go with. Glad you got it figured out though.
View Quote

Let’s just say that when you show your wife a picture of a rifle in the LSS chassis and she says “that one’s cute!”, you don’t ask any questions.

In reality though she’ll probably only ever shoot it from a bench, so heavier is actually better. It just needs to be light enough so she likes it, she won’t even think about shooting my heavy rifles. First impressions and all. As I said, it ain’t logical, but it might get her started and more interested in rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Cabela's. Check the used gun section, plenty of howa 223's available as factory seconds
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cabela's. Check the used gun section, plenty of howa 223's available as factory seconds
View Quote

Great idea!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also think the two stage Timney trigger available for the T3x is a very good option.
View Quote

I have a Tikka T3x in 223.  It is an excellent rifle.  The stock trigger is very good.  You can lighten it up a little with a $10 spring.  Mine has the spring mod.  I would definitely recommend the spring before replacing with a Timney.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a Tikka T3x in 223.  It is an excellent rifle.  The stock trigger is very good.  You can lighten it up a little with a $10 spring.  Mine has the spring mod.  I would definitely recommend the spring before replacing with a Timney.
View Quote

Just got the rifle in, and I agree the stock trigger was surprisingly nice. I would easily keep it as is and try the spring mod, if all of my other scoped rifles didn’t have the two stage triggers that I prefer. But you are right, it comes with a very good trigger out of the box. It’s too bad they don’t offer a stock two stage, but this is more personal nit picking than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Necro post here, but if you search Cabela's used guns, they get them somewhat frequently.  I just got mine today, and it's 100% unfired.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Brownells did get the 16" 300Blk actions back in stock a few weeks ago, I passed on getting one because I didn't feel like stocking yet another type of magazine.
But I can't find the email stating when it was.
Now they're out of stock again.

I guess they get a shipment every so often, maybe quarterly?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Saw a new Howa Mini in .300BLK at a LGS the other day.

I had a Howa Mini in 6.5G a while back. I preferred my CZ527s. Currently have two 527 Suppressor-Ready rifles, a 6.5G and a .300BLK (discontinued sadly). I'd like to pick one up in .223 also.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Howa actions in all the popular calibers are out of stock, if you want something niche like .22-250 or .243, they're available.

It's rather funny how the barreled action at Brownells is the same price as the rifle at Cabelas. I guess it's the difference between one shipping container a year worth vs a few containers a month.

Too bad because of the Elf Owl being recommended for 5.56-length cartridges than the Screech Owl, and I'm surprised Brownells hasn't offered a .350 Legend action.

Kharn
View Quote

Two years ago when I was spending my money on ARs the Howa mini barreled actions were like $250 at brownells...

There was also a plethora of Zastava M85 mini-mausers available in 223 and 762x39 ...  and like the OP, I find I now have the $ available to buy one, if I could find one...
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]
This is where I got my "used' one from

Cabela's used Howa

Thing probably sat in a safe.  It was clearly never fired, never had a scope on it, and still had all the hang tags on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Cabela's in Avon Ohio had two as of yesterday,
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Missed two in Acworth Ga at 299 each... one didn't have a mag...

Scored one today in 762x39 ... $600 but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't ...

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Missed two in Acworth Ga at 299 each... one didn't have a mag...

Scored one today in 762x39 ... $600 but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't ...

View Quote

Where?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where?
View Quote

The Cabela's used section, as linked above.  

It wasn't there yesterday... won't be there tomorrow :)

I notice the ones I missed on go away next day, so I'm guessing online inventory listings for the used stuff is jived up after stores close and a data dump is sent
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I guess I can show the finished product, I did go with the Tikka and MDT chassis. Turned out to be a really nice rifle!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top