Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2018 7:44:36 AM EDT
Going to Cerakote an ar15, starting with upper and lower receivers.

Will be getting a large toaster oven to cure it.

How is everyone suspending in the oven? I was hoping it air dries and then could lay on a baking sheet, but sounds like you put it in the oven wet.

Need a way to hang it for spraying and then to transfer it to oven without touching it.

For lower, was thinking of a bolt that I could thread into the buffer extension (or even cut a buffer tube) and mount it to a wooden fixture (no, wood won't burn at the temps/times to cure) that I could then put on the oven rack and slide in.  Not sure about the upper.

Other option is bending some wire (heavy coat hanger etc) to go through the takedown/pivot pin holes and bend it into a frame that would stay upright.

How have you done it?  Any pictures?
Needs to stand on the oven rack as I won't be able to put a high rack in the oven to hang them from.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it in the house oven. Dura Cote..close enough.  Stinks up the house for about 3-4 hours after but goes away. Rack all the way up. Coat hanger around a dowel, clean rod, etc..in the muzzle other end in take down pin hole.
Paint that way then hang on rack. A bit tricky but it fits..get it fit first..! 16” bbl.
two tone paint scheme also helped because it provided options. Do half then next color. Small parts done separately..drilled holes in block of wood for screws, etc.
Hand guard off, receiver stripped, important things not to get paint on taped off.
I even did the Magpul PRS Stock.

If I had time to build a cabinet I would do it vertically with a small shelf for parts. You could hang the upper through the muzzle to the chamber. Spent brass with primer removed, then cable, etc through hole. Let brass go into chamber. Or..just attach a dowel to it. Etc.

Very happy with the durability.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Unfortunately my painting supples are not near my house and I have no oven in my workshop. Thus the plan to get a large-ish toaster oven.

Was going to post on Magpul furniture, I recall on here that it stands up to the heat.  No problems? What is the temp for Durakote?

nevermind: I see the manual says 150-180 deg for 2 hours for polymer v. 300 deg for 1 hour for metal
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You can put both polymer an metal in the oven at the same time. You just have to treat both as if they were poly and cook at lower heat for longer time.

For the upper reciever Id reccomend a wood dowel through each takedown pin hole to allow it to stand if the reciever nubs will fit thru the lower grate.

As for the lower, I'd do the same.

If you bought the toaster oven just for this, cut the removable shelf to accomidate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use wire hooks or wire I bend into hooks. The wife's oven will work fine and just use two wire hooks with the rack on the top shelf.

Hooks I made from wire:

Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a large toaster oven. I hang things with this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-50-ft-Aluminum-Hobby-Wire-50176/100192917
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Lower,   pistol grip screw.
Upper, wire hook into the rear of the upper, hook into the forward assist channel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you turn your toaster oven up on its side to give more height for hanging?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a roaster oven. Have one dedicated to refinishing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, was hoping more for  a stand.  Ordered a big toaster oven, but still a toaster over so reaching in to hang things in a hot oven will be hard.

I like the idea of a screw in the pistol grip and make a bracket (was originally thinking of the receiver extension/buffer but would need a huge bolt or cut up a buffer).

Hoping to make a stand so I can just slide the bottom tray in/out with the receivers standing on it.

If I come up with something good I'll post pics
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, if anyone needs help, here is what I wound up doing.

Seems like it will work well.  I plan to hold onto the bases while I spray, then set them on the oven tray and slide the tray into the oven.  Lower doesn't fit top to bottom unless I take out the rack and put the tray right on the crumb pan (but fits easy then).

Oven is a Black and Decker TO3250XSB  "Internal dimensions are approximately 16.5”x12.5”x9.5”. "

Wide enough to fit the 15" handguard I plan to get (will figure out how to suspend that when I get it....)

For the lower I got a 1/4"-28 (fine thread) screw and put it through a piece of bent sheetmetal.  Could probably use a piece of wood and run screw up through it (try to match angle of grip so it will be level).  I used two lock nuts, one to lock the receiver so it won't spin and the other to lock the screw to the sheet metal (this way I can turn screw into receiver instead of spinning receiver on a fixed screw and then lock it in for rotation).  Was back heavy (would tip over toward screw) so I put a sheet metal screw in to act as a "kickstand".

The upper fits perfectly on a 1" wooden dowel.  I think the dowel will seal enough that it will "mask" the inside of the receiver where the BCG slides.  So I just made a wooden support (paper burns at 451F, so I think I'll be safe curing at 300).

Pic of the lower mount won't load for some reason.  You can see it behind the upper mount on the photo in the oven, pretty simple.

Got an Imgur account, hopefully pics will show...
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I did lower heat for longer time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I took a toaster oven and a small single compartment filing cabinet, cut hole in the backside of the cabinet and inserted the oven after I removed the oven door.  Added a deflector plate just in front of the elements in hopes to get more even heating without hot spots which is the problem when trying to use a small toaster by itself.  Hot spots can cause issues with paint cure which I learned when using Norrells.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Powder Coating Spring hooks for the WIN!!  I buy these from Argon Masking by the bag of 500, you might not need that many but if you do go there.  If you only need a dozen or so troll ebay / amazon for them.

http://www.argonusa.com

Also look at V hooks, they beat the hell out of coat hangers.  Coat hangers are pretty soft and bend easily which is good, but under weight and time they give out... ask me how i know this!  I have used the same hooks for years and have yet to have 1 fail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powder-Coating-Spring-Tube-Pipe-Hooks-1-77-X-0-04-5lb-Test-25-Count/391839296007?hash=item5b3b712a07:g:cQcAAOSwQ59ZaMhN:sc:USPSPriority!85024!US!-1
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#14]
W/o reading other replies, I'd treat it like my powdercoating.

First, put one of your oven wire racks as far up in the oven as possible.
I use aircraft safety wire. with such a small part, you should be able to loop the wire through the part, with loops on the ends  to hang it from something. Paint it, use long needle nose pliers to grab each end and unhook it.
Take it over to the oven and hook it to the underside of the high rack.

Reason I say to use the pliers, is because it's natural for your hands to change position as you move the part to unhook it from the spray booth to the oven, and not using the pliers, you could accidentally touch the part. The pliers keep your hands way from the part, and the hot parts of the oven if you preheat (as I do). Also a plus removing parts from the hot oven.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top