Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2022 10:28:40 PM EDT
I am looking at an old data safe that is for listed for sale nearby.  With the casters on the bottom it will be too tall to go upright through my door.  I can lay the safe on its back and use my skid to get it into the basement.  My question is how would I go about lifting it back vertical?  From what I can tell the safe weighs 3600 lbs, I can borrow a pallet jack to help get it moved into place.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a thought: Prop the door open. A large c-clamp on each side near the top.
Two separate chains, each attached to a c-clamp, wrap one across the front, around a side, then around the back and past the other side. Attach to a come along hanging from the ceiling.
Repeat for the other chain & clamp.

To prevent something bad from happening, would you consider having a local millwright come out and do it for you? For the complicated thing like this with an element of danger, that is who a moving company would subcontract it out to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy duty engine hoist? Block and tackle?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not take this on, unless there was a garage directly connected to the basement, like our lake house was in Missouri.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps that is not the one for you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
AMAZING VIDEO! Man Lifts 20 Ton Block By Hand?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Better question is where are you putting it?  Can your floor support 3600 lbs in a relatively small area, or are you going to have a sunroof in your basement?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better question is where are you putting it?  Can your floor support 3600 lbs in a relatively small area, or are you going to have a sunroof in your basement?
View Quote

That would be my concern. Even though your door is close to the edge of the floor joists, 3600lb is way too much weight for a small area of the room. Maybe if your safe was 10x10 with casters distributed throughout. But still, that’s a massive weight. Methinks that safe is going through the floor or at least doing some major damage. You’re surely not putting it down the stairs to your basement. Maybe through the stairs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The safe would be on a concrete floor and the basement is a walk out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
With a 800 lb gun safe this job would be fairly simple , With a 3600 lb commercial safe it is something else altogether. Might be time to pony up for a rigger.

If you rig up some contraption thinking it will be "good enough" and you miss the mark the result could be real bad
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
People are killed every year messing with this stuff.

If you don't do it regularly, it's not safe to try.  Many people get lucky, some do not.  These aren't things that can be figured out by watching a Youtube video.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People are killed every year messing with this stuff.

If you don't do it regularly, it's not safe to try.  Many people get lucky, some do not.  These aren't things that can be figured out by watching a Youtube video.
View Quote

As a person quite familiar moving around really heavy gear Id have to 2nd a1abdj    If you don't already know how to safely do it AND have the proper rigging then you really need to hire a professional.

3,600# is no joke.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top