Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2023 10:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: peachy]
I posted this in the NFA Machineguns forum but realized this is probably a better place to get answers based on my Google research:

So it's my understanding that neither UPS nor Fed Ex will ship a machine gun. The Fed Ex policy appears to be relatively new. This leaves USPS registered mail, so I am trying to decipher USPS regulations.

USPS deems short-barreled rifles (based on USPS's indicated measurements, NOT NFA-speak (I know an MG is not an SBR per NFA definitions)) to be nonmailable. The USPS's definition of a short-barreled rifle is "a rifle that has one or more barrels that are less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches." It seems like putting a 16" barrel and wooden stock on the Uzi would bring it outside the dimensional range to be classified an short-barreled rifle by USPS regs.

However, USPS also states that "[a] short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person." Does anyone have any idea what "characteristics to allow concealment on the person" means?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you an FFL?  If yes, this is a simple and pain-free adventure.

If no, pull barrel and ship w/o as a rifle would be my best guess.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:

View Quote

USPS regs prohibit mailing of any firearm other than rifles and shotguns unless the mailer is a licensed dealer or manufacturer.

USPS regs classify all concealable firearms as "handguns" for the purposes of mailing. That means receivers, AR lowers, frames, silencers, etc.

Pulling the barrel on an SBR or machine gun doesn't change a thing.
If you aren't mailing a complete rifle or shotgun.....then you damn well better be a dealer or manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Having an 03 FFL makes shipping firearms a lot easier for anyone who isn't a dealer
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You can use your 03 C&R FFL to ship USPS?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mak0:
Having an 03 FFL makes shipping firearms a lot easier for anyone who isn't a dealer
View Quote

How?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#6]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:

Anyone can mail rifles and shotguns via USPS. No FFL of any kind required.

An 03FFL is not a licensed dealer or manufacturer, therefore cannot mail firearms other than rifles or shotguns via USPS.
432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

and the definition of antique firearm under 431.3?
431.3 Antique Firearm
Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

So, the 03FFL can only mail firearm the USPS considers "antiques".........which aren't regulated by ATF and don't require an 03FFL to buy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

How?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

How?

Both Fedex and UPS simply require you to have a FFL

UPS even explicitly lists a 03 FFL as being acceptable:

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:11:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#8]

View Quote

No, they both require you to enroll in their FFL shipping program and abide by it's restrictive agreement.
Having a collectors license does not allow a collector to ship firearms via FedEx or UPS that are not C&R.

In no shape, manner or form is that easier than dropping off your firearm at your local FFL and letting him ship it USPS or shipping a rifle or shotgun yourself at any post office.

And before I forget.......Fuck FedEx, Fuck UPS.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

The gun is still at my FFL/SOT awaiting approval of my Form 4, so it is my FFL who will mail it for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I guess you missed this part:

UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment, either domestically or internationally.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

Fedex has similar verbage
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shipped 5 machine guns over the last few months. All went USPS registered mail.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By peachy:

The gun is still at my FFL/SOT awaiting approval of my Form 4, so it is my FFL who will mail it for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peachy:

why in the world would you risk having it shipped instead of going there to pick it up?  I must be missing something here.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top