Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2018 2:35:24 PM EDT
I have heard of plenty of folks mounting them but where do you actually mount it on the cap? Any Mohawk action? Pics if possible please!
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Thats a little big I was hoping for something more low profile.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mohawk works great.  Have been using for two years now.  No probs.  Just hunting.  Will post pics when I have time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the Mohawk is bigger then that.
And I much prefer the location of the pouch vs the Velcro that sits on top of your head. Also the adjustment band has a loop it runs thu to allow adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you even own a MOHAWK?
View Quote
I don’t. I closely looked at, and considered one.
I didn’t say anything bad about this particular product and I know the Mohawk works well for lots of people on helmets.
But on a nitecap it’s still my opinion that the matching brand pouch for it is hard to beat, especially w/o modifications. (What would one do about the Velcro poking you in the gap at the back of the nitecap?)

Personally I actually like a lot about the Mohawk, minus the phallus protruding from the top. I like the integrated weights, the battery sleeve, the anchor points, and the loops both top and bottom for chem lights and wire management. If it were offered in a version that didn’t have the “strobe” portion. I would own several.

@TNVC, I’m not sure where the sudden interest is in what items I own or don’t own. Is my opinion invalid because I only hadled several, but didn’t purchase one?
I will say that I will not solicit my opinion on something that I haven’t used or handled. This is a public board and I just give my opinion based on my NV experience.
I think it’s pretty obvious that I look into almost every NV related product out there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Two major reasons to go with the pouch that Crye designed specifically for the Night Cap are:

1) it sits much lower than using another pouch just attached to the velcro in the back. IMO, this produces a Much better balance and feel and,

2) you are still able to crumple it up and stuff it in a pouch/cargo pocket/pack as opposed to the Mohawk which adds additional rigidity and structure.

I feel that the Mohawk is better suited to a more rigid host. I.E, a helmet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is really only as big as you fill it. It is, IMO, THE Night Cap solution. Before it was offered, I tried quite a few different counterweight options but this was obviously tailor made for this platform, it's needs and intended uses.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The Crye pouch may be the school solution here, on an unmodified night cap.  I modified mine somewhat, which included adding two web and Velcro straps to the back, which creates a nice "molle" base for a pouch (not to mention really snugs the cap up on your head).

What I think would be the ideal solution here is to add in a pouch, which would ride lower, about mid-way on the back edge of the cap.  More in line with where a C/W pouch would be a on a hard shell.  This would give the pouch max leverage for counter weight purposes.  If it's too far up on your head, you're not getting the full effect of the C/W.

Of course this would depend on the shape of your head; speaking for myself, getting it back and down, away from the crown of your head, just makes more sense to me.

As far as mounting, any kind of combination of webbing and Velcro might do the trick; the Mohawk actually makes a lot of sense, since you have the, uh, shaft to Velcro up on the top, which would allow you to run the pouch "low-ride", past the bottom of the cap.  But if that's too much, then any good admin pouch would work, depending on how it attaches.  Or can be easily modified to attach.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
WhiteHotBrownDown is right here. The pouch is as big as you want to make it. There is Velcro on the inside to help secure whatever you want. When empty it’s basically just two layers of thin material. It could expand to be pretty big if you want.
It’s difficult to get good pics but so did my best.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I think would be the ideal solution here is to add in a pouch, which would ride lower, about mid-way on the back edge of the cap.  More in line with where a C/W pouch would be a on a hard shell.  This would give the pouch max leverage for counter weight purposes.  If it's too far up on your head, you're not getting the full effect of the C/W.
View Quote
That is exactly how the Crye CW pouch sits.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Right on I was noticing that from the photos.  Diseased minds think alike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top