Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2023 4:29:30 AM EDT
I am trying to make sure I put the correct OAL on the “amnesty braced pistol” form 1 forms. For ar pistols it’s the length of the firearm from the end of the buffer tube to end of muzzle from what I understand. But for something like ak, Mp5k and glocks, do you just put the OAL as what the firearm is minus the buffer tube/brace/folding assembly etc? Like a flux braced Glock 17 would be listed as just the standard length of a stock Glock 17? And Ak and Mp5k would be the length without any attachments on the back such as bare tube or brace correct? Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:03:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bishop3] [#1]
The overall length is measured from end of muzzle/barrel (without any muzzle device attached) to the end of the stock, brace or whatever shoulder thingy 'fully extended'.

Measurement: end to end with the 'fully' extended stock. This is will be correct OAL measurement for form 1.

Eta: It is the OAL length of the SBR when it is an completed ATF approved, stamped form 1 SBR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the ATF is considering the brace as a stock (otherwise, why would be doing a brace amnesty Form 1), I’d think you measure OAL including the brace, fully extended (if it’s collapsing or folding, just like you would do as a normal stocked SBR.  Also, if you plan on putting a real stock on the gun after you get the approved F1, you’d put that expected length.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
That would make logical sense, but I remember them changing how braces were measured on firearms at least twice. First they were measured in their longest most extended and unfolded length. Then that switched to measure their shortest, collapsed/folded length. Then for these form 1s, I heard the length only included the buffer tube for guns that need them to function, everything else is just measured as if it’s not there, because the ATF doesn’t regulate accessories, and they aren’t necessary for the function of the firearm?(makes no sense).
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no 'amnesty' per say, it is a forbearance on the federal 'tax'.

If you chose filing for the brace option. Your form 1 will likely be returned 'Tax exempt', there will be no paid stamp attached to your form.

Why call filing a Form 1 for the permission to make an SBR 'amnesty'?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever the term they are using. I think they used the amnesty term the last few times they opened up the registry to free registration of guns that were previously legal, then suddenly were NFA items thanks to a rule change. Aka the 1968 machine gun amnesty and 2001 street sweeper/striker 12/usas 12 destructive device amnesty.

It may not legally meet the definition of an amnesty, but you all know what I’m referring to. And I know it’s an infringement, and we shouldn’t bent the knee, etc. But I’m already a lifetime member of the NRA, GOA and FPC, so I’m technically covered under the injunction filed in the 5th district court. And I already own several NFA firearms, and was going to sbr all of these anyway, so I figured I may as well save a couple thousand dollars in tax stamps if I can?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bishop3] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xela:
Whatever the term they are using. I think they used the amnesty term the last few times they opened up the registry to free registration of guns that were previously legal, then suddenly were NFA items thanks to a rule change. Aka the 1968 machine gun amnesty and 2001 street sweeper/striker 12/usas 12 destructive device amnesty.

It may not legally meet the definition of an amnesty, but you all know what I’m referring to. And I know it’s an infringement, and we shouldn’t bent the knee, etc. But I’m already a lifetime member of the NRA, GOA and FPC, so I’m technically covered under the injunction filed in the 5th district court. And I already own several NFA firearms, and was going to sbr all of these anyway, so I figured I may as well save a couple thousand dollars in tax stamps if I can?
View Quote

Exactly, I'm with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top