Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2022 8:15:45 PM EDT
Obviously writing letters to the ATF is frowned upon as it can have negative effects to other owners however there are very few if any other owners of functional Panzerfausts on the registry. When I first built it, I form 1 mine as a DD in abundance of caution due to writing a book on the topic however reviewing the laws, I’m confident it does not meet the definition of a firearm, let alone a DD.

the fact that the primer is located separately from the ammunition then I think since it can’t fire fixed ammunition then it’s classified as a simple muzzle loader.

I don’t see any difference between the two below , other than one uses the barrel to hold the propellant and the other holds the propellant in a paper tubing and that is because there’s no breach. Just like the PIAT, I’d like the panzerfaust off the registry.

Should I write to the ATF to state the case in lots of detail that my NFA item does not meet the definition of a destructive device and I’d like it removed from the registry ?

Any recommendations for NFA attorneys
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that the ATF now requires a physical inspection of the complete weapon before they will give an opinion.  I don't think that the tech branch will respond to just letters anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I emailed them regarding the definition of fixed ammunition based on the Panzerfaust design. It does not use fixed ammunition and in my opinion does not fit the definition of a firearm and no longer a DD. I am not lawyer so use this information at your own risk. I plan to submit an letter with this email chain to the ATF in order have the DD removed from the registry.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad that you got a response!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Time to dig up the gyrojet article....
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Insert meme of sweating ATF guy needing to decide between which one of two buttons to push.

Amazing work…thanks for plugging away at this
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I actually did exactly that.
I was a federal criminal investigator for another agency in their Washington Field Office at the time. I got a call at my desk at work from the deputy director of ATF enforcement branch and the head of FIrearms and Technology telling me they would not answer my letters in writing, and that there was no scenario wherein they would implicitly or explicitly acknowledge any such devices may be NFA exempt.

I'll be very interested to see their response when you ask for a formal determination.
View Quote

Did any of the three Arfcom projects pay off, or similar issues?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the threads archived?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top