Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2020 8:21:44 PM EDT
I would like to get info on my Colt M16A1 factory machine gun, such as when it was made.

I called Colt and they said they don't give out info on machine guns.

Completed a FOIA request to ATF and they said they don't have any records for it which fall under FOIA.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe find other people that have them. They should have some info or where to find it I would think.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's interesting. On all of my FOIA requests, they have given me the original configuration when built, the date of the Form 2, plus form types and dates of each transfer. They must by law redact all names and addresses (other than the manufacturer), but they are required by law to release this info to the registered owner.

So you will get the date of manufacturer, the date it was initially sold to LE via a Form 5, then the dates and form types of all subsequent transfers.

Did you use the prototype FOIA letters available on many web sites? The specific wording is vital, because it meets the letter of the law. Any deviation and ATF can reject it if they want to. However, if worded correctly, they must by law give you that info.

If you are using the accepted wording, you might want to have it resent by an attorney. ATF will comply.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

Thanks. I did the FOIA request right. I guess I'll reach out and file an appeal with ATF.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's interesting. On all of my FOIA requests, they have given me the original configuration when built, the date of the Form 2, plus form types and dates of each transfer. They must by law redact all names and addresses (other than the manufacturer), but they are required by law to release this info to the registered owner.

So you will get the date of manufacturer, the date it was initially sold to LE via a Form 5, then the dates and form types of all subsequent transfers.

Did you use the prototype FOIA letters available on many web sites? The specific wording is vital, because it meets the letter of the law. Any deviation and ATF can reject it if they want to. However, if worded correctly, they must by law give you that info.

If you are using the accepted wording, you might want to have it resent by an attorney. ATF will comply.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

Do you have a example of the FOIA wording?  I plan to put some in for getting some history of some NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I sent in my FOIA request in April 2017.  I never received a response of any kind.  They don't seem to take it very seriously.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I sent in my FOIA request in April 2017.  I never received a response of any kind.  They don't seem to take it very seriously.
View Quote

My last one didn't get any response for well over a year, so I reached out to the constituent relations office of one of my US senators they made it happen within a month.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is the one I have used:

Sample FOIA Request Letter
View Quote

That's awesome.  Thanks so much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is the one I have used:

Sample FOIA Request Letter
View Quote

That's the one I used and got the reply back of nothing meeting FOIA criteria with my serial number. Took 4 months just to get that reply.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I requested one last year.  I initially tried to submit the FOIA request before the transfer had been completed, and got a rejection e-mail after 3 weeks stating I needed to submit proof of ownership.

After the transfer went through, I resubmitted the FOIA request and after 3 months they e-mailed me a bunch of Form 3s and 4s going back to 1977.  Aside from dates, they had redacted pretty much everything else, including the cities and states of the transferring parties.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
After months of waiting and pressing the ATF I was finally able to get some forms from them.

I got the form 5 from them which showed the transfer to the PD that purchased it. Was papered as a M16 Carbine so now I have proof it left Colt as a Carbine. Shows they submitted paperwork in May 1978 so I'm assuming it was manufactured close to that time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Submitted my FOIA form a long time ago.

Much was redacted but some interesting info was there, date of registration, some info about other M16a1s in my batch registered on the same day.

It’s in the M16a1 updated serial number sticky post: RO653
926866X:

9268636 through 9268671 - FOI request shows Form 2 approved on April 4, 1979 as part of a pallet of 72 (number discrepancy noted).
Including:
926866x - RO653 Carbine
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I used Tony K ‘s letter and got back results within 60 days on all of my guns. This was a few years ago.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top