Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 3:25:40 PM EDT
Today I was shooting an M&P 40 (1st generation), when the front sight fell off.

This pistol was purchased a few years back by me as a police trade-in.

I’ve put around 750 rounds through it without issue.

I’ve never touched the front sight.  I recovered the sight and it is finger loose in the dovetail.  I can push it wel past the center of the slide before I feel any resistance, andvthis well past where it should be for windage zero.

Any thoughts how to secure this sight in the front dovetail?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a way to support the sight(like a vice), a good center punch to the base will move some metal and make it tighter.  You can snap the blade off doing that however.

Alternatively, chuck the slide in a vice and dimple the dovetail with the punch.  Finish the install with some high strength loctite.

I would probably look for a new sight and hope it fits tighter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a shim under the site to tighten it up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Could Aluminum foil make a good shim material?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Take a brass punch and hammer and peen each side of the dovetail cuts on the sight. Or take a steel punch and dimple the bottom of the sight. Don't over do do it!! It won't take much and you shouldn't be cosmetically noticable if you do it correctly. I'll post a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhP7JMpiG0
Note in that video the dovetail itseld was deformtd. A brass hammrt and light peening of the dovetail cut is how i would have done that one.
View Quote
Thanks, useful video.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have a way to support the sight(like a vice), a good center punch to the base will move some metal and make it tighter.  You can snap the blade off doing that however.

Alternatively, chuck the slide in a vice and dimple the dovetail with the punch.  Finish the install with some high strength loctite.

I would probably look for a new sight and hope it fits tighter.
View Quote
The sights on this pistol are old, fairly dim night sights.  I had planned to replace them at some point, so I’ll go ahead and just do it sooner.  But I wanted to try some sort of fix just so I could learn what to do
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A shim under the site would be the easiest and least damaging way of reinstalling it
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A shim under the site would be the easiest and least damaging way of reinstalling it
View Quote
Beer cans make great shim stock.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel would be better.
You could cannibalize a feeler gauge set, or hit up a hobby shop (often scarce now) for some thin steel sheet.

Long ago I used a punch to create dimples but was never all that happy with the small contact area it creates.
You have to put multiples in to make the thing come out straight.

Cannibalizing a steel feeler gauge is not expensive at all and it has multiple thicknesses to pick from.
If you cut a thin edge or just the end of the feelers it is still usable for other thing also.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This is with a homemade Two ply aluminum foil shim.

It’s definitely locked in place.  I needed a brass pinch and hammer to rap the sight into place.

Maybe it holds, maybe it doesn’t.  I did see some of the auto parts chains have small feeler gage sets pretty cheap, or I could see what Harbor Freight has to offer.

But even aluminum foil improved the fit dramatically.

Thanks for all the responses.  This was a good learning project.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless it was one of a kind front sight I would just buy a new one and fit it, being very careful to only take off a little metal at a time while fitting it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is with a homemade Two ply aluminum foil shim.

It’s definitely locked in place.  I needed a brass pinch and hammer to rap the sight into place.

Maybe it holds, maybe it doesn’t.  I did see some of the auto parts chains have small feeler gage sets pretty cheap, or I could see what Harbor Freight has to offer.

But even aluminum foil improved the fit dramatically.

Thanks for all the responses.  This was a good learning project.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/314595/A9294B51-36BC-4A7B-9CD8-EB39D52258BD-606763.JPG
View Quote
Last time I was in there, they had Feeler gauges by the checkout.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good OP.   When you are looking for a replacement try Dawson.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks good OP.   When you are looking for a replacement try Dawson.
View Quote
I found this video on YouTube where Dave Dawson goes through installation of a dovetail sight.  I think this is one of the best YouTube gunsmithing "how to" videos I've ever watched.  
Installing Dovetail Front Sights with Dave Dawson
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For anyone who has used feeler gauges to cut out shim stock, I have a question.  Since (to my knowledge), steel feeler gauges are simply high carbon steel, did you do anything to prevent rusting?

I'm imagining if a pistol gets carried a lot outdoors (my M&P in this thread sees a lot of time in the woods), the carbon steel shim could start to rust beneath the sight.  Is it even a concern?  Maybe hit it cold bluing?

I've seen brass feeler gauges, but I don't believe they are usually nearly as thin as steel gauges.

I'm also going to wander down to the manufacturing area to see what sorts of shim stock leftovers or scraps the technicians may be willing to let me have.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I found this video on YouTube where Dave Dawson goes through installation of a dovetail sight.  I think this is one of the best YouTube gunsmithing "how to" videos I've ever watched.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk
View Quote
That was my how to vid.  Very informative.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#19]
you should be able to find stainless and brass shim materials in the machine shop if they let you have some

Or at places like McMaster

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-shims/=1dr2wmw
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you should be able to find stainless and brass shim materials in the machine shop if they let you have some

Or at places like McMaster

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-shims/=1dr2wmw
View Quote
A definite yes on the stainless from the shop.  It's a aerospace manufacturing facility, so shims should be stainless, probably 316 or 17-4.  I'm guessing they have a bin of shims along with the bins of other hardware that are leftovers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top