Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 5:07:45 PM EDT
What is the best method to get a nice black lower, that doesn't require $1K in equipment (for an anodizing kit)?

I don't mind spending a little bit, but I don't want to have to go out and buy a bunch of special equipment.

What is my best option, is it just Krylon or some other spray paint, or is there a better option?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What equipment do you have on hand?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What equipment do you have on hand?
View Quote

For finishing lowers?  Nothing yet, but I don't know what I'm doing, so maybe I have something useful?

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You could spend a few hundred dollar and get a sand blaster, prep the surface, and use a coating system like Duracoat, Cerakote, GunKote, Alumibake, etc.  You may spend less money, time, effort by having someone in your area refinish it for you using the mentioned finishes.  Cheap, quick and dirty would be Rattle can.  More durable and better looking finish would be Cerakote.  If your willing to spend $1k, just get it finished by a pro
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to try to use spray cans, you might consider something like Brownells Alumahyde.  It costs about $12 a can and will be a whole lot more durable and solvent resistant than most hardware store aerosol paints.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it to get cerakoted. Needs a serial number though. That is what I did for two of mine and it looks/workers great.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking at Cerakote.  Is the air-dry worth it, or should I be looking at heat drying?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Send it to get cerakoted. Needs a serial number though. That is what I did for two of mine and it looks/workers great.
View Quote

Yeah, but I don't want to send it out to anyone, I am interested in learning for myself.

And I've got enough scrap aluminum that I can practice a bit before messing with an actual lower.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
How even does the heating have to be for cerakote?

Could you use a toaster oven?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
i spray mine with heat resistant stove paint.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You could try and find a local business that would anodize it for you. I found a local company which offered anodizing on multiple gun parts. I know US Anodizing doesn't but some smaller businesses may. Cerakoting is also good. I see you are in Oregon. PM me and I can give you the name of the business if you are in my area.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
You can anodize at home with an Amazon desktop power supply ~$50-60 and some hardware store components. Sulfuric acid from a battery store.

You can theoretically dye with almost anything but anodizing dye is available on Amazon relatively cheap.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used appliance enamel paint after ultrasonic degreasing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Norell's moly resin
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup... I bake on the stove paint after a couple days for 2 hours at 250.

I use the flat black kind...
Honestly, you cant tell it from anodizing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I used Brownells Alumahyde on a couple 80% lowers recently and the coat buildup created interference fit problems. It sprayed great and the finish looks good but I had to re-drill the coating out of the take down pin and selector switch holes.

I have used Rustoleum hammered finish that was then baked in an oven on an AK and it is extremely durable and makes a cool looking finish. Also used moly-resin on another AK and it is great too but more of a PITA to store in the fridge and spray with an airbrush.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]
anywhere you can have it blasted locally takes maybe 3-4 minutes. it does need a little texture. aluminum oxide is best. degrease and coat with your choice. i used gunkote socom black.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been playing with CerKote...

It’s pretty easy, easier than powder coat.

The matt white on this Harley is all CeraKote, even the inside of the fuel tank is CeraKoted white.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top