Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2023 8:09:21 AM EDT
I bought a guys reloading stuff. Along with a Dillon 550C I got some 223/556 and 9mm brass that is primed. I am pretty sure what the primers are but I don't want to mess with them.

What is the best way of disposing of primed brass?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to me?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Just decap it carefully. Haven't had one pop yet.

If you feel worried about it, soak in water for a while.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess my first question is why not just run them?

As to disposal, WD 40 pop each one and then trash.  If the count is high enough that's not so easy, and for some reason you don't want to run them, sell them. Do a post in EE for Ohio FTF and ask a nickle each and people will cross state lines if the count is high enough.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Deleted dangerous advice.  AeroE

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I would test a few by firing them (Unloaded, no powder or bullet) and if they worked I would load them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
All of the above.

But mostly, “send them to me.”

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
What brass/cartridge?

Unless you're running right up to the ragged edge of performance with you're reloads, it makes no sense to scrap them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Sell em locally or give them to a friend that reloads. Just hold on to them till you meet someone that does reload and give them to him.

Don't trash perfectly good primed brass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

But, why?  If they are still active, why not load and shoot?  In 9mm I have used everything from SP to SR to SPM without having to change anything else.

If you are determined to toss them, just grab a shovel and dig a deep hole.  Send them back to mother earth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Pop a couple to see if they are reliable, then work up a load for them.  Just like any other component.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you load either caliber?

How many pieces are you talking about? Dozens? Hundreds? Is the brass mixed junk with an unknown number of reloads?

Why don't you want to mess with them? Because they are unknown primers?

I'm a cheap ass, so I would figure it out. I'd probably de-cap the .223 and re-use the primers in 9mm target loads since my handguns will set off SR and SP just the same and the load data is no different.

If you really don't want to deal with it, just throw them in the trash...
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Any case with a live primer is not scrap metal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  ... I don't want to mess with them.
View Quote

What is your concern?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Send them to to me I'll even pay the shipping  
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Load
Shoot
Eject
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it to me?
View Quote

Can primed brass be mailed without hazmat? Send me a PM @Rodent

They are mixed and I have 'a few' of both 9mm, all one head stamp, prepped and 5.56 all one head stamp, prepped. Not interested in developing a load for so few cases and not interested in dealing with mixed head stamps when I have so many of the same head stamp. The riflew e cases are 223 and 5.56 mixed.

9.5 oz of 223/5.56

66.5 oz of 9mm
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I don’t know about USPS but UPS doesn’t consider primed brass hazmat so you’re good there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
A local guy gave me 180 primed LC cases near the beginning of the "pandemic", said he was getting out of reloading.  

I found out why when I measured the headspace on them.  They were .003" too long for my rifle and probably for his as well.  He had not sized them enough and must have gotten frustrated, and gave up.  I pulled the decapping pin from the sizing die and ran them all through again, loaded, and shot them all without an issue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A local guy gave me 180 primed LC cases near the beginning of the "pandemic", said he was getting out of reloading.  

I found out why when I measured the headspace on them.  They were .003" too long for my rifle and probably for his as well.  He had not sized them enough and must have gotten frustrated, and gave up.  I pulled the decapping pin from the sizing die and ran them all through again, loaded, and shot them all without an issue.
View Quote

I've done this as well.  Not ideal, but works when you can't afford to waste a good primer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've done this as well.  Not ideal, but works when you can't afford to waste a good primer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alternatively- good excuse to get an AUG!  They have a headspace that is so huge it fails .223 NO GO, and only barely will pass a 5.56 No Go.

Perfect rifle to run that opposies lot of mis-sized brass.   So to recap. "Honey, I needed the AUG to continue to support our cost savings reloading endeavor... its for the family"  
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Alternatively- good excuse to get an AUG!  They have a headspace that is so huge it fails .223 NO GO, and only barely will pass a 5.56 No Go.

Perfect rifle to run that opposies lot of mis-sized brass.   So to recap. "Honey, I needed the AUG to continue to support our cost savings reloading endeavor... its for the family"  
View Quote

A $2,000 solution to a $10 problem. I like the way you think though, any excuse to get another gun is a good one. LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a guys reloading stuff. Along with a Dillon 550C I got some 223/556 and 9mm brass that is primed. I am pretty sure what the primers are but I don't want to mess with them.

View Quote

Where you at ? I am Dayton Mall days, and Miami Co nights
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Use them is what I'd do. If your concern they're a magnum primer. Use a reduced load and plink with them
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where you at ? I am Dayton Mall days, and Miami Co nights
View Quote

Your PM box is full. Email sent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Use them is what I'd do. If your concern they're a magnum primer. Use a reduced load and plink with them
View Quote

Note OP has found them to be insufficiently resized.  "use them up" is a little easier said than done, in that case.  Though it can still be managed, the reality is unless you have a lot of spare time and/or a sloppy chambered rifle (Looking at you Steyr AUG), the effort to reward ratio just isn't there for OP's interest.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Deleted after reading lazy's last post ... was too lazy to read lazy's last post before posting my lazy reply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Note OP has found them to be insufficiently resized.  "use them up" is a little easier said than done, in that case.  Though it can still be managed, the reality is unless you have a lot of spare time and/or a sloppy chambered rifle (Looking at you Steyr AUG), the effort to reward ratio just isn't there for OP's interest.

View Quote

IDK, it doesn't take all that long to remove the decap stem from the sizing die and resize them.  I have done that a few times with brass that has had the bullet pulled.  I suppose it would depend on your dies tho.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IDK, it doesn't take all that long to remove the decap stem from the sizing die and resize them.  I have done that a few times with brass that has had the bullet pulled.  I suppose it would depend on your dies tho.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'd do - but it does require a little care with case lube and avoiding primer contamination from such.   And I will never tumble brass with an exposed primer like that - got burned by that once; won't be doing that twice.  So getting the lube off takes some thought as well.  You and I are set up in equipment, expertise and mind-set to assembly-line get 'er done.  (I'd use a light pad of wet lube, roller, and a clean wet towel on the other end, and just roll cases through 20 at a time).   but eh, for someone who's passion isn't reloading, and he just wants a more standard operation - and the brass was Easy Come, then Easy Come, Easy Go, may make more sense for him.

But yea, if I lived close to OP, I'd probably take them off his hands and at least buy him lunch or something for it.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
simple answer - if they're primed, just use them.   If you feel you want to get rid of the primers, just deprime them.   I have deprimed hundreds of brass with live primers, never had one go off.   I use the Harvey  Depriming tool, but any deprimer should work.   Just don't have open powder or other flammables around when you do it, on the off chance one might go off.    If one should go off, it isn't that big a deal.  Wear light gloves, and of course eye protection.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your PM box is full. Email sent.
View Quote

Trying to find, have 2 email that it could have went to

IM box due to not paying member ship dues yet
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Email sent
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I deprimed about 1,000 357 Sig cases a while back with no issues. This was done very gingerly.  I wore safety goggles the whole time BTW.  I reused the primers in another load.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Can primed brass be mailed without hazmat? Send me a PM @Rodent

They are mixed and I have 'a few' of both 9mm, all one head stamp, prepped and 5.56 all one head stamp, prepped. Not interested in developing a load for so few cases and not interested in dealing with mixed head stamps when I have so many of the same head stamp. The rifle cases are 223 and 5.56 mixed.

9.5 oz of 223/5.56

66.5 oz of 9mm
View Quote

Still looking for someone to take these off my hands.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still looking for someone to take these off my hands.
View Quote

I'm yer huckleberry, if you are up to shipping them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm yer huckleberry, if you are up to shipping them.
View Quote

They should all fit in a medium flat rate box. Send me $17.10 and they're yours.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was about to find out whether you are near Dayton; I would have you drop them at my sister's in Centerville.

View Quote

I can do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top