Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2023 10:36:28 PM EDT
My dad gave me my first gun when I turned 15, he bought it used and it's pretty old.

It's a sears roebuck branded Marlin model 80 with no serial number.  From what I've read you can date them by if the barrel is micro grooves or not but I don't know how to tell.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this. It may help narrow things down.

Marlin Forum, Model 80 dating

Now I have to get my Model 80 out and look at it. Got mine from my father as a teen or maybe pre-teen for a birthday present. Thanks Dad!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found this. It may help narrow things down.

Marlin Forum, Model 80 dating

Now I have to get my Model 80 out and look at it. Got mine from my father as a teen or maybe pre-teen for a birthday present. Thanks Dad!
View Quote
I see some more clues there.  Mine does not say micro grooving on it but perhaps a sears branded one did not, I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
How to date a Marlin model 80?

Ask her out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Identification of the Model 80's

- Band type extractors, 1952 & later
- Marked Micro-Groove, 1954 & later
- White line spacer, grooved receivers, 1960 & later
- Gold triggers, 1964 & later

- 1934 - 1937 metal trigger guard, beavertail groove forearm, metal buttplate, large take down screw.
- 1937 no more finger groove, "semi-beavertail"
- 1939 - 1941 "C" shaped trigger guard, flush take down screw, new safety, dual extractors.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some pics that might help

Is this micro grooves?

Drilled for peep sight but stock isn't clearances, probably replacement stock

Front sight

The only markings I can find

Take down screw, I'm going to guess the leather isn't original

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I have my dad's Model 80. It also doesn't have a S/N, which really offends my OCD......................  

Pure Model 80's were made from 1934-1939. Model 80E's were made from 1934 to 1940. No clue what the difference is/was.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't think there's any way to solidly determine a specific year on a Marlin 80.
I have a Marlin 80DL that's pre-microgroove. Bought it cheap cause cycling the bolt wouldn't reset the trigger, turns out there's four or five generations of striker assembly and someone put the wrong type in mine. Got lucky and Numrich had a style 3 in stock which fixed mine. But even knowing that didn't give me a solid date range as Marlin didn't completely revamp a model but made many small changes over the years. Rimfire Central and Marlin Owners forums have some good info but best I can determine with mine is ' late 40's to mid 50's'.

These old vintage rimfires are well made and if your bore is good and all parts are working they're good rifles and starting to appreciate in value.

American Rifle Magazines website has new factory quality magazines for $30 (tagged '780/25' which fits all 80 series). Used original factory mags start at twice that in poor condition and $125 asking price wasn't unusual just a year ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top