Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 12:36:11 AM EDT
I have a completed 80% lower that I did that has been engraved to look like a Colt XM177E2 receiver, but has a custom serial number on it.  What's the proper way to fill out the make and model for this on the eForm 1?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you made it, you are the manufacturer, doesn't matter what the picture is.
Use existing serial.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a completed 80% lower that I did that has been engraved to look like a Colt XM177E2 receiver, but has a custom serial number on it.  What's the proper way to fill out the make and model for this on the eForm 1?
View Quote

Whatever number you put on it is the identifier. I'd call it what it is. A Colt clone. That should be fine.

I also just did an eform 1 for an SBR, and was totally surprized how easy it was. The scheduled turnaround is only 2 months. I got FBI fingerprint forms off Amazon in under 48 hours and sent them in by certified mail so I have proof they received them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
So if this is how the receiver is marked:

Attachment Attached File

Then I'd do this?

Attachment Attached File

And then this?

Attachment Attached File

Do I have it correct?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s how I would fill it out.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you.  Sending it in for anodizing this week and if it all goes well, will submit the eForm 1 when I get it back.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, may as well.

Forgot to ask:  for the RPQ 5320.23 form, what do I put in for 4b as the "Name and Address of Maker, Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm"?

From all appearances, this is a Colt lower.  Do I put Colt's info there or do I put my LLC info there (even though my LLC name or address doesn't appear anywhere on this lower)?  Or do I put something else there?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, may as well.

Forgot to ask:  for the RPQ 5320.23 form, what do I put in for 4b as the "Name and Address of Maker, Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm"?

From all appearances, this is a Colt lower.  Do I put Colt's info there or do I put my LLC info there (even though my LLC name or address doesn't appear anywhere on this lower)?  Or do I put something else there?
View Quote

Oh hell no. Colt didn't manufacture the firearm in any shape, manner or form.
You are aware that as the maker of an NFA firearm you have to engrave the makers name and location?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Of course I am - but that's generally AFTER it's an approved NFA item - not before.

For other AR lowers I've SBR'ed, if it was made by KAC, then KAC's info goes there and I engrave my LLC info once it's approved.

However, since this one is a personally made firearm from an 80%, it doesn't need to have ANY of that info prior.  Thus my question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Of course I am - but that's generally AFTER it's an approved NFA item - not before.

For other AR lowers I've SBR'ed, if it was made by KAC, then KAC's info goes there and I engrave my LLC info once it's approved.

However, since this one is a personally made firearm from an 80%, it doesn't need to have ANY of that info prior.  Thus my question.
View Quote

Some folks opt to put the maker info where colt would traditionally put the info above the trigger/hammer pins.

In any case, you'd sort of be making a mistake to not go ahead and put your maker info on the lower before the anodizing work...at least that's how I'd see it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, let me phrase it this way:  assume that the lower is completely blank other than the serial number on it.  What would go in box 4b?

In the previous one for the eForm 1, it was entered in as "FMI" when it's a home made firearm.  Technically, shouldn't this be the same so they match?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Got it.  So even though at the time of submitting this, it doesn't have my LLC info, I would still just put my LLC info there in box 4b, right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]
@OP

Do you already have the engraving work done?

There's a decent chance the reviewer will ask for a photo of the blank/unfinished lower. In the event you have already done your retro engraving work you maybe told to resubmit with info/guidance provided by by the reviewer. If the blank has no markings currently then there's no reason you would hear anything about what to put on the blank other than maker name/city/serial/(caliber on barrel).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top