Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2023 4:01:32 PM EDT
How does not cleaning these things impact their performance?

I took a 556 bcg and switched to a 7.62x39 bolt, it seems like after a few hundred rounds it acts different
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I clean mine after a couple hundred rounds typically.  I started seeing malfunctions Friday due to neglecting to clean it.  I turned the screw to allow more gas to come through and the stoppages went away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine isn't stoppages, it's more like it cycles when it shouldn't.

Thought about stripping it completely down,  but not sure how. Maybe just soak it in something.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No more often than any of my other rifles, which is to say not often. I do a basic wipe down every 750 rounds or so let's call it.

I've removed the gas adjustment cylinder once ever for cleaning (across many thousands of rounds). Never noticed any meaningful difference in performance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thought about stripping it completely down,  but not sure how. Maybe just soak it in something.
View Quote

I use an ultrasonic filled with simple green to clean it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try squirting some bore cleaning foam in there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No more often than any of my other rifles, which is to say not often. I do a basic wipe down every 750 rounds or so let's call it.

I've removed the gas adjustment cylinder once ever for cleaning (across many thousands of rounds). Never noticed any meaningful difference in performance.
View Quote

This. I didn’t even know the adjustment do-dad was removable until I had ~1500 rounds on it. I just treat it like a regular BCG as far as maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. I didn’t even know the adjustment do-dad was removable until I had ~1500 rounds on it. I just treat it like a regular BCG as far as maintenance.
View Quote

How is the "do-dad" removed? I didn't know it was removable either.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How is the "do-dad" removed? I didn't know it was removable either.....
View Quote
skip to about 13:25, he removes the "do dad".
Bootleg Adjustable BCG Physical

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Not often. I haven’t noticed the problem you’re having. Might have something to do with the 7.62 building a different sort of crud or something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not often. I haven’t noticed the problem you’re having. Might have something to do with the 7.62 building a different sort of crud or something.
View Quote

Ya, been shooting russian ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve cleaned it once when I learned it came apart, but that’s it. I’ve been trying to find reference photos of the “arrow” pointing at the different settings to confirm mine. Seems like it’s backwards and I seem to remember hearing there was an issue with that in previous batches.

Otherwise, it works but I put on an adjustable gas block anyway. Was still very gassy with my suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Any sub-$200 deals on one?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you dare order from CheaperThanDirt, they have it for $150 without bolt.  Also says not full auto so maybe semi cut?

Other than that, everything seems $200+ or out of stock.

This could be local to you (CO) if you want it quick but taxes and fees will make it more expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends…do you have any philosophical aversion towards CTD?

ETA beat like redheaded stepchild
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

@bradpierson26 $179.95
Primary Arms - Bootleg Adjustable Carrier
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@bradpierson26 $179.95
Primary Arms - Bootleg Adjustable Carrier
View Quote

Nice
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you mean it “cycles when it shouldn’t”?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve cleaned it once when I learned it came apart, but that’s it. I’ve been trying to find reference photos of the “arrow” pointing at the different settings to confirm mine. Seems like it’s backwards and I seem to remember hearing there was an issue with that in previous batches.

Otherwise, it works but I put on an adjustable gas block anyway. Was still very gassy with my suppressor.
View Quote

I really don't have enough rounds through mine to make a good judgment, and I suppose everyone's experience is different but I tend to agree with this statement. There is a difference when compared to a standard bcg but I don't know if it's worth $200.

At this point I would probably recommend an adjustable gb but I liked the fact I could easily remove and disassemble it for cleaning.

Edit.. I should also add I haven't done a detailed cleaning yet but I only have about 500 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
skip to about 13:25, he removes the "do dad".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbaSYtxruU
View Quote

Wow-that is some impressive gunsmithing on a bcg. I had no idea that many go/no go gauges and tools even existed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Also wondering what “cycles when it shouldn’t” means.

I have two bootlegs. One with around 2krds 5.56 on it, and another with maybe 500rds 350Legend. No complaints. Clean them same as a USGI.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean when I have the suppressor off it still cycles whwn in the suppressed position. It didn't do that when I first got it(would short stroke). Next thing I guess could be the recoil spring is wore. But I haven't put that many round through it I don't think, maybe 500 total.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I mean when I have the suppressor off it still cycles whwn in the suppressed position. It didn't do that when I first got it(would short stroke). Next thing I guess could be the recoil spring is wore. But I haven't put that many round through it I don't think, maybe 500 total.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's possible some fouling build up is causing less gas to vent out which would theoretically cause what you're describing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top