Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2018 6:15:27 PM EDT
To clean my brass I dryntumble with plain walnut media plus a little Nu Finish and mineral spirits.

How many loads of brass should I run through before tossing the media and stating a new batch?  5? 10? As long as the brass comes out clean?

I don’t really have s feel for it, and currently I think I’ve been going about 10 loads of brass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you see that the same amount of time is not cleaning the cases.  . The corn cob I used before walnut lasted for a ton of batches and took a long time before degrading.  The walnut I now use I expect to last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you not wet tumbling?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I live in a small townhouse and have very limited reloading space.  I’m not ready to commit any more of my limited space to a wet tumble system.

Someday soon when school districts stentva concern we’ll live in a larger house and I’ll have an outbuilding or attached garage.  But for now, I need to work with what I have.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To clean my brass I dryntumble with plain walnut media plus a little Nu Finish and mineral spirits.

How many loads of brass should I run through before tossing the media and stating a new batch?
View Quote
I dry tumble using walnut medium with a little NuFinish as well.  I plan to use my current medium until it no longer performs (cleans) to my liking.  I think that the "working life" of the medium is based on how many runs, how many cases, what size & how dirty are the cases, etc...

I have heard about but have not actually tried adding mineral spirits to the medium...  what can you tell me about it?  How do you do it - how much, how often?...

Quoted:
View Quote
For me, the "benefit" doesn't justify the cost.  Not only the initial start up cost, but also the cost in the sense of space, time, effort, mess associated with wet tumbling.  I must admit that my brass is pretty clean before I ever clean it - I shoot my clean reloaded ammunition in a bolt action rifle...  most times, my spent cases never touch the ground before they are put back in the ammo box they came from...  If I were reloading bulk range brass, I would probably be whistling a different tune...  
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a small amount to thin out the Nu Finish.  I’ve heard it helps clean the brass, but I haven’t done any scientific comparison.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
When the media becomes discolored is a pretty good sign it's lost effectiveness. May be ten loads of brass or twice that many depending on several factors.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually throw the dryer sheet in with the mix when I tumble. With lost media, I will top off with more polish and walnut, so I really never change my media. I do clean inside the bowl when the tumbler is empty, I use the big lyman with the bottom plug.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you notice that your media isn't giving you the results you're used to getting, it's time to change the media.

Walnut media is really good at scrubbing brass, getting gunk and soot off pretty quickly.  It does this because the crushed walnut shell bits have tiny sharp edges that do the scrubbing.  Walnut will "wear out" in time - sometimes quickly, depending on the size of the grit.

On the other hand, corn cob media is great for polishing brass.  It is essentially soft, flat chunks that rub the brass during tumbling.  Corn cob doesn't wear out as much as it gets dirty.  I've seen folks talking about how after a while adding their favorite additive just doesn't cut it anymore.  That's because they're adding it to dirty media.  Dirty media just can't polish, no matter what you add to it.

I use plain corn cob to tumble sizing lube off of my cases.  For this job, the stuff lasts a good long while.  But I use walnut to clean steel cases (no wet tumbling for those guys!), and the combination of fine grit and filthy powder leavings wears the stuff out in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
At 3000-5000rds per year, replace what's in the bowl every 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I've not changed out my walnut in years.  But I also wet tumble before I throw it in, so the brass is clean already.  I'm not really using it as a cleaner but as a sponge to suck up the water (I wet tumble with the primers in.  Seems to be dependent on your water chemistry if you can get away with that or not.)  I have added to the walnut as I spill, so it's not all years old.  I'd say 75% is.

But even when I throw in a few cases that didn't fit in the wet tumbler that I want to resize, it still does a good enough job for resizing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ditto with this, but will add that I do a quick water wash of the cases in the sink using a strainer before the cases hit the tumbler instead.  This gets the dirt type crap off the cases, so such does not make it's way to the tumbler media instead. Cases still damp are put directly into the media, once the added Odorless mineral sprint and Nu shine before each batch has had a chance to mix in to the media.

So watch your run time needed to get the cases clean, how dirty your media is, and you will know when it/s time to change it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no round count. How dirty cases are varies.

You change media when it quits cleaning, whenever that is.
Ditto with this, but will add that I do a quick water wash of the cases in the sink using a strainer before the cases hit the tumbler instead.  This gets the dirt type crap off the cases, so such does not make it's way to the tumbler media instead. Cases still damp are put directly into the media, once the added Odorless mineral sprint and Nu shine before each batch has had a chance to mix in to the media.

So watch your run time needed to get the cases clean, how dirty your media is, and you will know when it/s time to change it.
I think I'm going to start doing a hot water or maybe even hot soapy water wash of my cases prior to dry tumbling.  I've noticed tossing some cases into hot, soapy water and giving them a few shakes while they sit for 15 minutes then a rinse gets them much cleaner than I started.

No sense in letting walnut scrape away a bunch of the crud that comes off with almost zero effort in water.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A small amount of Lemishine will be beneficial to your pre wash.

With my water, I use a 45 ACP case of Lemishine per 1 gallon of water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'm going to start doing a hot water or maybe even hot soapy water wash of my cases prior to dry tumbling.  I've noticed tossing some cases into hot, soapy water and giving them a few shakes while they sit for 15 minutes then a rinse gets them much cleaner than I started.

No sense in letting walnut scrape away a bunch of the crud that comes off with almost zero effort in water.
A small amount of Lemishine will be beneficial to your pre wash.

With my water, I use a 45 ACP case of Lemishine per 1 gallon of water.
I'll try that.  I tried a solution wash yesterday with water/vinegar/salt/detergent, and it did a decent job cleaning off a lot of crud from outdoors range pickup brass, but some of the casings turned a pinkish purple color.  Someone on here mentioned Lemishine as a better alternative to vinegar.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have actually washed my walnut to like new. Throw into nylon,
wash with hot soapy water, dry on cookie sheets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My cases are wet tumbled to clean after firing.  I have started to dry tumble in corn cob to remove the lube.  Adding the dryer sheet has made a big improvement.  The corn cob still looks brand new.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ll add I always add a couple of 1/4ths of a dryer sheet to my tumbler.  Those pieces come out black.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To clean my brass I dry tumble with plain walnut media plus a little Nu Finish and mineral spirits.
How many loads of brass should I run through before tossing the media and stating a new batch?
View Quote
Since the cement mixer I use for wet tumbling is at my retirement property, I generally use walnut media for most polishing applications with no additives.

Walnut media will eventually "wear out" as the edges of the cracked shells become rounded and smooth.  Also, since I wash (not tumble) cases in a rather stout citric acid solution, I don't get around to tumbling until after the case has been lubricated, resized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred and the primper crimp reamed (if one was present), so that the tumbling operation is aimed at removing the resizing lubricant along with any remaining brass trimmings.  I typically start a load tumbling before I go to bed and then dump it into the separator when I get up the next morning, so my brass is getting 7 to 9 hours of tumbling.  Before I retired, I would start a second batch tumbling during the day when I was at work so it likewise to 7 to 9 hours of tumbling.  Is that longer than needed?  Probably.  But there's no real harm in tumbling for that long.

As long as the brass comes out clean?
View Quote
Bingo!

I change my media when I no longer like the shine it is producing.  It is entirely a judgement call on my part.  I typically tumble 100 to 200 cases (usually 223 or 9mm) at a time.  If you figure, say 100 cases a day, for six months, then my experience would be to change the media about every 15-20,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have actually washed my walnut to like new. Throw into nylon,
wash with hot soapy water, dry on cookie sheets.
View Quote
Quite inventive.

But since 20 lbs of media lasts me for about a year and a new box of media costs about $15, I'll continue to swap media out periodically.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll try that.  I tried a solution wash yesterday with water/vinegar/salt/detergent,
View Quote
For this purpose, acetic acid is less desirable than citric acid.

Also, for all the same reasons you want to keep salt away from aluminum, you want to keep salt away from brass.  Yes, it does provide the electrical gradient to help the copper in the brass "let go of" oxygen molecules and thus return from a tarnished to shiny state, but the polar, covalent bond in salt makes it particularly difficult to remove from the cases and it will, in time, promote oxidation when no longer in a reducing solution.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...but the polar, covalent ionic bond in salt (NaCl)...
View Quote
...and it isn't difficult to remove but it does take some effort...  simple (thorough) rinsing will due...
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only time any of my cases see vinegar, is when they were loaded with pyrodex black powder.  Hence the hot water and vinegar 20 min soak it to neutralize the pyrodex corrosive chemicals.  As for real black powder, then hot water and hydrogen peroxide to remove those black powder salts before they get a chance to start corroding the cases.

Hence with smokeless powder fired cases, its Citric Acid (active ingredient in Lemishine) that you want to use as a cleaning boost agent, not vinegar instead.

As for going this far to pre clean smoke powder fired brass, I just do the water rinse to get the dirt/gravel out/off the cases, so it does not contaminant my media instead.  Hence media is cheap enough (10qt bag of Zilla desert mix is only about $10), and can't see spending twice the time and money to pre-clean the brass to a almost perfect level, before media tumbling it in the end isntead.
View Quote
Quoted:

For this purpose, acetic acid is less desirable than citric acid.

Also, for all the same reasons you want to keep salt away from aluminum, you want to keep salt away from brass.  Yes, it does provide the electrical gradient to help the copper in the brass "let go of" oxygen molecules and thus return from a tarnished to shiny state, but the polar, covalent bond in salt makes it particularly difficult to remove from the cases and it will, in time, promote oxidation when no longer in a reducing solution.
View Quote
Thanks gents!  As always, this tech forum is a wealth of good information.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I use a tea spoon of brasso to my walnut media.
Brass comes out like new.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I just changed my walnut after 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Haven't changed the walnut in over 20 yrs. Just mix in some new when it gets low and add some nufinish or brass cleaner to increase its ability to shine the brass.

I always wash the cases in a bucket before tumbling which helps keep the media fairly clean.

I must admit the walnut tumbler hasn't been used as much since getting the FART around 5 years ago. It does get used to take case lube off brass and add a nice shine that's more resistant to tarnishing from adding the car wax.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I usually use two tumbler bowls but have a third on sitting around.
One for clean up and the other for lube removal both using walnut.

When the clean up takes about 50% more time than new media I dump it out and put the lube removal walnut into the clean up tumbler. Add a little bit of rouge in wax (one swipe on a grater)

Put new media in the lube removal tumbler.
Repeat as required based on clean up time required.

I have some corn cob in the third tumbler bowl if I want better looking cases since it absorbs more lube than walnut.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
[cheapskate Derek]  when it no loner gives a nice polish, use it for another 6 months, then replace

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
After awhile, "recharging" media with Nu Finish or other polish no longer works and brass takes longer to clean.  That's when I toss media.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#34]
As stated before, I get much better life from my media if I presoak/wash.  Hot water, a couple drops dawn , maybe a dash Simple Green.  Agitate the cases, rinse, shake them off in an old colander, dry in oven at 200 for an hour.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]
How many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop. The world may never know.

Motor
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How many loads of brass should I run through before tossing the media and stating a new batch?  5? 10? As long as the brass comes out clean?

I don't really have s feel for it, and currently I think I've been going about 10 loads of brass.
View Quote
If you stop putting that crap in it, and use a polish meant for dry tumbling you will get years out of it before it needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you stop putting that crap in it, and use a polish meant for dry tumbling you will get years out of it before it needs to be replaced.
View Quote
Yeah I use one of those tumbling cleaner/polishes. Just keep adding a tablespoon every new batch of brass or so to keep it going strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top