Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2018 6:41:25 PM EDT
There don't seem to be many ffl smiths on the gunsmith forum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a gunsmith, although I don't currently hold a FFL.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I do some smith work for friends on their guns, but I have never taken any classes to actually become a true gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do some smith work for friends on their guns, but I have never taken any classes to actually become a true gunsmith.
View Quote
The classes you speak of don't certify you as a gunsmith or help get you a job actually.. I'm an ffl gunsmith. I trained under a gunsmith and then built off of that. He wasn't formally trained either. The pay can be so rotten that taking courses to get some kind of worthless certification would never be cost effective unless you got into a large firearms company that paid for certs and the competition is heavy in these jobs .
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#4]
01 FFL and very successful home base 'Smithing business for 13 years here.
Strictly a Smithing business, no sales or transfers conducted at all.
Not formally "trained' in a school, have worked on firearms for over 40 years, formal back ground as a machinist.
IMHO the schooling aspect is not overly critical. From what I have seen of the average Smithing school graduate has a basic fundamental knowledge of general gunsmithing operations. It qualifies one for an entry level job in the industry. Heck, I have dealt with grads of one of the highly rated schools and they did not learn a damn thing about the Kalishnakov nor AR family of firearms. Boy but they could sure do a polished blue.
IMHO that is not overly practical in todays market.
You can get a copy of Roy Dunlaps "Gunsmithing" and have the course curriculum for most schools for $30.00.
I think what is more critical is ones aptitude and knack for the little machines we deal with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I haz a Dremel
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a gun plumber.

Just put a fiber front sight on my Ruger Blackhawk last night. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Gunsmith? Hell no......I'm an Armorer. Glock said so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top