Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a legitimate concern.  Probably just a matter of time.  Mass shooting with a NVD.  Sooner or later.  Legislation to prevent another.   Afterall, night vision is not in the constitution.  Soooo very very evil too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupidest reply I've ever got after letting look through NODs is "why spend 1,500 on NV when I can buy a 500 lumen flash light for 100.00 and have the same capability" Out of all the people that I know that has a prepared mind set only 5 are kitted with NV, 1 is supplied by me. My boy is still kind of young, so getting him to train is sporadic. Since he loves airsoft and there are outdoor night games it is a good training tool. I just cover the lenses with plexi glass and we're GTG.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gotcha beat...When my son was a bit younger he was messing around in the backyard with Pannos for the first time and after he came in I asked him what he thought? His response, "I like the Cyclops Green Eyes from Costco better dad".
Nice....
View Quote
lmao!! wow.. Pannos… i’m sure you will teach him the ways of the JEDI
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I know one hardcore prepper who has spent hundreds of thousands and doesn't have them.  Last time I talked talked to him he was looking at a .50 BMG.

I'll never understand how someone who is that serious about SHTF doesn't have a whole suite of NVG/thermal.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There serial number of my mod 3 housing is in the 300-350 range if that tells you anything. I bought it a few years after they came out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one long term friend who has thermal (had, sold it to pay some debts, but is out of debt and saving for another thermal), but that’s it.

No one else in my friendship circle has anything.  One of them is a fairly hardcore prepper who I’ve pointed to cheap Gen 2, extremely reasonable Gen 3, and even the Sionyx. Nope, what he needs is a 7th Glock 17 (I’m not even exaggerating).

Trying to get him on a hog hunt with Tim, Melvin, and I so that he can understand....
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What your describing is fairly typical for "preppers" today- I still prefer the term survivalist but I'm old skewl.

The majority of preparedness minded people seem to simply make lists, buy a few things and well that's about it.

Few truly get out there and train regularly- if they did or if they do, they will see the utility of NV, thermal, etc. for security, for safety in bugging out, etc.

Many never find that balance of gear/training/physical fitness/skills.

The sad part is the guy with 7 glocks, 22 AR's etc. tens of thousands of rounds, etc. that never trains, is likely just going to become a supply dump for looters one day....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one long term friend who has thermal (had, sold it to pay some debts, but is out of debt and saving for another thermal), but that’s it.

No one else in my friendship circle has anything.  One of them is a fairly hardcore prepper who I’ve pointed to cheap Gen 2, extremely reasonable Gen 3, and even the Sionyx. Nope, what he needs is a 7th Glock 17 (I’m not even exaggerating).

Trying to get him on a hog hunt with Tim, Melvin, and I so that he can understand....
What your describing is fairly typical for "preppers" today- I still prefer the term survivalist but I'm old skewl.

The majority of preparedness minded people seem to simply make lists, buy a few things and well that's about it.

Few truly get out there and train regularly- if they did or if they do, they will see the utility of NV, thermal, etc. for security, for safety in bugging out, etc.

Many never find that balance of gear/training/physical fitness/skills.

The sad part is the guy with 7 glocks, 22 AR's etc. tens of thousands of rounds, etc. that never trains, is likely just going to become a supply dump for looters one day....
I’m guilty to some extent of that as well....

For instance, we could use more long term food storage for our family of 4 (soon to be any 5 day), physical training isn’t what it should be on my part, and who has time to go shoot regularly?

The buddy I’m referring to above bought small acreage to get away from people in case things pop off, but he is restricted to manuevering via flashlight if it comes to that. I don’t get it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know anybody personally that has night vision and thermal besides me
View Quote
Same here.  I don't have thermal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I doubt it will ever happen but you never know unfortunately

Military-Grade Night Vision Gear Is Widely Available To Civilians — And That’s A Problem
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably a lot more than we realize...

Lots of people that have come down to buy in person for cash looked and acted differently than what most of us would expect the average NV owner/user to be like.

Like NFA items, a lot of people have bought NV primarily because they think at some point in the future it will be "banned" for civilian ownership. I'm serious, a lot of people ask about this.

Then there is the small percentage that want to "find Bigfoot" (a no shit real conversation I have heard MORE than a few times)...

The most interesting to me one was the comment that "I want to watch the war going on in space right now" . That was a serious statement from someone. I think they might have posted that on one of our old youtube videos as well.

So like anything else there is that fringe set of users out there as well.

So yeah, probably a lot more out there than we realize.
I doubt it will ever happen but you never know unfortunately

Military-Grade Night Vision Gear Is Widely Available To Civilians — And That’s A Problem
When a group of people gets shot up by some lunatic using NV, AR pistol and a laser this shit will get real.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you post info for this match?  Im in North Georgia but i would drive down to participate in that.

Quoted:[/b]
I run a monthly 2 gun match I call "Friday Night Fight Club"

I usually have about 15-20 participants show up, half of these guys have their own NODs, Lasers, helmets, and NV compatible optics.

The other half....well they rent all my spare gear for $25 a set and after the first night start saving for it.

In my area there are a lot of folks who have it and use it for shooting, hunting, other forms of night time antics.

Folks in North FL can see in the dark
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Not many.  Most don't even know much ion what they are.  then you need to find the desire or scenario to want them.  Then they have to pony up multiple mortgage payments to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
in my area of North Georgia I know a lot of shooters but only three of us have night vision worth having.   I have a couple loaners and we take people out occasionally.  every one loves it until they hear the price.  then they go build  their 10th AR....
View Quote
It still sort of blows my mind how many people have 50-100k in regular firearms of the AR sort, but don't have NV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think a lot of them don't realize just how good gen 3 or even good gen 2 stuff is. I know I was one of those. And how amazing it is when you though in IR  illumination and a laser. I had played with gen one 10-20 years ago and a crappy ATN gen 2 back then.... With NO IR illumination other than the built in one.... and to me it was CRAP and you would be far better off with a good flashlight. I think all the cheap crappy stuff out there is a big part of it. You get talking NV and next thing you know someone drags out a unit that's crap.... you look though it and don't want to risk the money on something that's just a little better but not even really usable.

For me. Between one of JRH HP+ units he runs deals on, and the broken NVG's from Apex.... I have seen the light (or lack there of....) and I am HOOKED, wish I would have gotten into this a decade ago. Even with my state looking and doing mag bans and all kinds a crazy stuff. Right now...  I am spending my gun money on night vision... even though there's no threat to it, it's just that valuable and something I see as critical. LOL I even half wish we had hogs hear for more night practice.  And no... I don't know anyone else with usable night vision gear, and the reason I wanted to get a loner set or two. So I could introduce people to it, so they could see how valuable and useful it is. Wish someone up hear did classes like those in Fl.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have more than four ARs, you can afford night vision. Maybe not the best, but something.

What, you can only shoot one, maybe two at a time?

~Augee
View Quote
@fatdrunkandstupid
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got lots of friends within an hour to two hours that have night vision.  Most have multiple devices.  One thing all of us have in common is we were introduced to night vision via Cola Warrior.  It's basically turned into a breeding ground for wizard eye things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I usually have about 15-20 participants show up, half of these guys have their own NODs, Lasers, helmets, and NV compatible optics.

The other half....well they rent all my spare gear for $25 a set and after the first night start saving for it.

In my area there are a lot of folks who have it and use it for shooting, hunting, other forms of night time antics.

View Quote
Came here to mention this. Fun times and look forward to coming back to it.

It depends on the location. I'd imagine cities in states where hunting at night with NV and thermal is legal will have more people w/ NV and thermal than say urban areas with bad gun laws, ie the entire NE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you post info for this match?  Im in North Georgia but i would drive down to participate in that.

Quoted:[/b]

View Quote
Follow green line tactical and silent solutions on IG. Its at ancient city shooting range in St. Aug.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a buddy with a pvs14 and super fancy thermal scope, mounts, etc. He's a pig hunter in Tx and now LEO so he's all geared up. another with PVS14 but no accessories.

I borrowed a set for a trip and the stargazing was amazing. I am also aware of their uses should shit pop off, and would really like to get into it. However, I have 2 young kids in daycare, and wife's car just died. Killed our emergency/fun/NV fund really hard. I already don't have a ton of ARs since I gave them to extended family. I am consolidating to just guns I like. I am working like crazy on fitness and shooting, and I will buy some version of NV when I can. will be a bit though. I got my other stuff squared away, ordered a centerfire can, etc.

with the young family I'm not playing lone ranger in the woods. I'm hunkering here and hoping for the best. would be damn near impossible to move everyone under nods.

when I sell the house and move more rurally I already have an agreement with the wife that we each get like $3k to do with it as we wish. Mine will be NV and gear.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#23]
oh yeah, day care is $2k/month. That's a set of night vision every month. or a transferrable MG every year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1. Correct. Most places are 100% legal to shoot at night with night vision. We have tons of locations that are great for it. Most of the shooters in the LE community go to these same spots.

2. Unfortunately, you're correct. No NV/ thermal with hunting coyotes.

From the 2019 Hunting Regs:
View Quote
AZ2A is spot on here. I think it’s a shame, but like the theme of this thread, I don’t think there are enough people affected by this to change any existing laws.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
It sucks. When I first started spending time in AZ I was going to find my own yote night stands until a buddy gave me a heads up.

Quoted:

AZ2A is spot on here. I think it’s a shame, but like the theme of this thread, I don’t think there are enough people affected by this to change any existing laws.
View Quote
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top