Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2018 8:17:53 AM EDT
Long story short, I am getting the fuck out of NJ!  Have all ready purchased property in NC and want to get the ball rolling on acquiring a suppressor.

I found a great deal on a system and would like to buy it now and have it transferred to a Class 3 dealer in my relocated area.

I will not take permanent residence until December, so paperwork time frame and such will run me about until March on 2019.

It is acceptable for me to think a dealer will hold onto a NFA item for all most a year or am I pushing my luck?  Certain that delays have happened and led to a much longer period than 9 months, but just do not want to assume anything.

TIA
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not seeing the issue.
If you buy it now, you'll be down there long before the form 4 is approved.
The dealer won't be holding it any longer than a "normal" sale/transfer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If you were asking me, I would say no problem.

Holding on a tiny tube for an extra month or two in expectation of a sale is fine with most people.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask the dealer in question, what's the worst he can say? If he says the worst, talk to another dealer. Seems simple to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Long story short, I am getting the fuck out of NJ!  Have all ready purchased property in NC and want to get the ball rolling on acquiring a suppressor.

I found a great deal on a system and would like to buy it now and have it transferred to a Class 3 dealer in my relocated area.

I will not take permanent residence until December, so paperwork time frame and such will run me about until March on 2019.

It is acceptable for me to think a dealer will hold onto a NFA item for all most a year or am I pushing my luck?  Certain that delays have happened and led to a much longer period than 9 months, but just do not want to assume anything.

TIA
View Quote

<---FFL/SOT
1. No such thing as taking up a "permanent residence" for the purpose of acquiring a firearm. ATF says you are a resident of the state where you make your home. It is possible to have more than one state of residence. See ATF Ruling 2010-6 State of Residence
2. Fill out your Form 4 with your address in NC or if a trust, with that address in NC...…...submit that Form 4 as soon as you want. Undoubtedly the seller wants to Form 3 that can out of his inventory ASAP.
3. Once you have moved to NC, get a NC drivers license. When the stamp arrives, the dealer will have you complete a Form 4473. You'll need that government issued photo ID showing your current residence address in NC to take possession.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of NC? If you're anywhere near Charlotte, just deal with Scott @ Tar Heel State Firearms. He'll take care of it for you.
View Quote
Holden Beach, Brunswick County
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my first two silencers the day before sandyhook out of state. My dealer had them for 19 months waiting on approval.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased a 22 can from my dealer 2 and a half years ago and only filled out the paperwork this past dec. They were fine with it.

It was my HPA wait and see can... yup that wasn't happening.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
My dealer has had mine for just over a year, sending in paperwork on Monday.

He showed me a cab he’s been holding since 2006.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of NC? If you're anywhere near Charlotte, just deal with Scott @ Tar Heel State Firearms. He'll take care of it for you.
View Quote
This. I drive from Greenville to deal with Scott at Tarheel State firearms.  He is GTG and has excellent customer service.  Every can I own is from him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top