Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2018 1:35:20 PM EDT
Sent my FFL app off about a month ago, I have not heard a word, and was wondering how long exactly it takes before you get your “interview” how much time before they let you know before you have your interview.  Finely what exactly is discussed in the interview?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sent my FFL app off about a month ago, I have not heard a word, and was wondering how long exactly it takes before you get your “interview” how much time before they let you know before you have your interview.  Finely what exactly is discussed in the interview?
Thanks!
View Quote
Tag for more info !

Op , I am exactly in your same shoes . My check was cashed about 1 month ago . I called the other day and they told me that my application was in the ( processing) phase so looks like you and I are stuck in the same holding pattern!

Good luck to you !!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tag for more info !

Op , I am exactly in your same shoes . My check was cashed about 1 month ago . I called the other day and they told me that my application was in the ( processing) phase so looks like you and I are stuck in the same holding pattern!

Good luck to you !!
View Quote
I thought about calling them as well, but if it’s like calling on form 1’s or 4’s it’s kind of a waste of time as they really don’t tell you anything lol. Thank you, and good luck to you as well! Hopefully our questions will be answered and we don’t have to wait much longer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine took about a month and a half before I got the initial phone call from the invistigator.  The first initial call he went over everything he wanted to see and said he would call back in a few weeks to schedule the actual time and date he would come over.  He called 2 weeks later and shecudled for the next week.    In all I think it just depends how busy your industry operations invistigator is.  He told me they were understaffed and he was travelling alot.   He told me it would take 2 hours for the interview and he was dead on it was almost exactly two hours.  Consisted of all the rules, forms to fill out, basically how to run the FFL legaly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If I remember correctly your application is sent to like Virginia or something I don’t remember off the top of my head. It’s like the ffl headquarters or something lol. but it’s processed there and then it sent to your local office for the inspector to get ready to see you. Until he gets forwarded to the local office I don’t think you get any calls or any information. Because I remember when I called that’s what I was told.

I think mine was about 40 or 50 days before I heard anything from the local inspector
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm waiting like you guys. Will be home based, so I took a spare bedroom and converted it into my business office.
They charged my card on the 3rd of March... and everything I read suggests 4-6 weeks, closer to 6 usually.

I have my Certificate of use from the county (officially allowing me to use a room for business), safe, work bench... and just need patience now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm waiting like you guys. Will be home based, so I took a spare bedroom and converted it into my business office.
They charged my card on the 3rd of March... and everything I read suggests 4-6 weeks, closer to 6 usually.

I have my Certificate of use from the county (officially allowing me to use a room for business), safe, work bench... and just need patience now.
View Quote
Just curious did you file as a DBA sole proprietor,  or LLC/CORP ?

Good luck brother !!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just curious did you file as a DBA sole proprietor,  or LLC/CORP ?

Good luck brother !!!
View Quote
I did mine as an LLC.
My LLC name has nothing to do with firearms, tactical, machining etc... so when you look it up and its a residential area, it does not raise flags.

I used Rocket FFL as a guide, especially since it touched up on ATF compliance, and am now waiting for the compliance course to become available, and will be using that as well. If not for that, I would still be under the impression that I could not get a home based FFL based on some bad info from a local.

The wait is gonna kill me.
Ive read 1.5 hours to over 4 hours with the IOI going over all laws etc... checking out the location.
I have an alarm, cameras, and a safe... should be covered. I will not have foot traffic coming to my house, any sales will be either online or to known people.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used Rocket FFL as a guide, especially since it touched up on ATF compliance, and am now waiting for the compliance course to become available, and will be using that as well. If not for that, I would still be under the impression that I could not get a home based FFL based on some bad info from a local.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All of which you could have learned here for free.

Ive read 1.5 hours to over 4 hours with the IOI going over all laws etc... checking out the location.
Four hours? Never, unless you ask literally a thousand questions. It's just a basic checklist that ATF uses so they can say you were made aware of all the laws regarding firearms, transfers, recordkeeping, etc. The IOI will check off each line and have you sign the form.

I have an alarm, cameras, and a safe... should be covered.
None of which is required by ATF.
ATF doesn't even require a lock on your front door.

I will not have foot traffic coming to my house, any sales will be either online or to known people.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All of which you could have learned here for free.

Very true, but I absorb info better in some formats than other, as the way it was done there was worth the $ to me.

Four hours? Never, unless you ask literally a thousand questions. It's just a basic checklist that ATF uses so they can say you were made aware of all the laws regarding firearms, transfers, recordkeeping, etc. The IOI will check off each line and have you sign the form.

From google searches and reading around what others posted (not on here) there are mentions of very long and slow moving interviews. I hope you are right and the IOI has better things to do that day than spend it with me.

None of which is required by ATF.
ATF doesn't even require a lock on your front door.

While it is not required, there is no reason not to have security measures in place.
I did not get an alarm or cameras for this reason, it's something that was in place well before this became an idea.

Good luck.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine was just under 2 months, primarily bc of a reschedule on his part. The interview, eh, I wouldn't even call it that. We sat on the couch, he went over forms, some basics, examples of filling stuff out, I asked a few questions that I had.  Chatted for a bit and told me I probably won't have my first inspection for about 5 yrs bc of staffing. Over and done. Emailed a couple questions, got responses quickly. Started selling.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine was about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mine was about 20 minutes.
View Quote
That's quick.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I sent my application in Feb 19th for a type 7 FFL. They charged my card on Feb 25th. March 20th I got a call from the ATF IOI and he asked if I we could set the interview for March 22nd(yesterday). The interview went really well, lasted about two hours. He went over a lot of information and answered any questions I had. I should have the licence within a month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats! That was a fast turn around too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I sent my application in Feb 19th for a type 7 FFL. They charged my card on Feb 25th. March 20th I got a call from the ATF IOI and he asked if I we could set the interview for March 22nd(yesterday). The interview went really well, lasted about two hours. He went over a lot of information and answered any questions I had. I should have the licence within a month.
View Quote
First off congratulations!!

If you don't mind , are you a home based ffl ?

Type 7 , does that mean you have to pay the 2500 it itar fee ?

The type 7 is 500 ? Again not sure if that makes it mandatory to pay the itar fee ?

Sorry for the questions.  My check was cashed almost a month ago . Still waiting !!
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The type 7 is 500 ? Again not sure if that makes it mandatory to pay the itar fee ?

Sorry for the questions.  My check was cashed almost a month ago . Still waiting !!
View Quote
Type 07 is a manufacturers. $150.

ITAR is $2250 If I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks, yeah it’s going to be home based.  The fee for a type 7 is $150. It’s my understanding that you don’t have to register for ITAR just because you have a type 7 licence, if you do or not depends on what you are going to be doing with the license. I unfortunately think I am going to have to register and pay the annual fee because I’m going to be manufacturing ammunition using automated machines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Good morning all.

January 2012, 07 Manufacturer operating from finished home basement converted into small gun-shop.

My examiner stayed about two hours; went over the do's and don'ts; many questions from me were answered professionally, candidly and good natured.

My examiner contacted town officials to confirm my compliance with all applicable zoning regulations and confirmed minimum distance from school(s).

Had an audit March of 2016 that lasted about two hours. Examiner was very straightforward and professional.

I asked the audit examiner (passed the audit with only two "Is" not dotted and one "T" not crossed) what the process was for submitting all my paperwork because I was loosing

literally everything in a divorce and he was very gracious with me with his time and knowledge and personally wanted me contact him at the local BATFE office whenever I was ready to

start up again in a new location.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Well the examiner was here yesterday, spent three hours going over everything, found a couple things I needed to change but they won’t hold it up. Also found out I was zoned to do a 07, so we changed it from a 01 to a 07, which was actually cheaper, and it won’t cause any delays either. Than I can get my SOT as soon as I have my license in hand which she said is 2-4 weeks out yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats!

Remember to wait to pay your SOT. It's July 1st to June 30th.
would be a waste to pay it in the next couple of weeks and then again just after.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Man some of these inspectors take their sweet time doing their interviews etc. Both times i did mine (initial and then when i moved) they were both in and out in like 30mins tops. And the initial one was actually a trainee being watched by her supervisor as she did the interview etc. Neither of them checked anything to do with zoning, but the second time i had an interview for my location move she spoke to the landlord to check that it was ok with what i was doing.

I think since phoenix is so easy with business licenses and zoning overall that either they dont check or they already know its zoned. We dont even have city business licenses. Only business that gets an actual phoenix city license is ones that are in involved with like liquor, or adult business.  I like arizona, so easy to do business with here. Unlike fuckin California fuckin red tape for everything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Congrats!

Remember to wait to pay your SOT. It's July 1st to June 30th.
would be a waste to pay it in the next couple of weeks and then again just after.
View Quote
This , I just had my interview and inspection on Tuesday I also want to apply for my sot class 3 she told me to wait a couple of months and then apply so I don't end up having to pay the $500 fee twice.

I'm surprised though because when my inspector was here and I asked her about changing from a type 1 to a type 7 she said I would have to submit the paperwork all over again I'm surprised they just let you switch right there and then from a type 1 to a type 7 or am I missing something?

Good luck to you in your new business !!

Stay safe and God bless !
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This , I just had my interview and inspection on Tuesday I also want to apply for my sot class 3 she told me to wait a couple of months and then apply so I don't end up having to pay the $500 fee twice.

I'm surprised though because when my inspector was here and I asked her about changing from a type 1 to a type 7 she said I would have to submit the paperwork all over again I'm surprised they just let you switch right there and then from a type 1 to a type 7 or am I missing something?

Good luck to you in your new business !!

Stay safe and God bless !
View Quote
She had me date and sign a statement of my intentions, then on the application I made the changes and initialed it as well. Even said I’d get 50.00 back!  Painless and quick. Maybe doing 1 to a 3 requires the new forms? Heck I don’t know just guessing. She did say to wait as well, but dang that’s along time and I know a few friends wa ting to buy some SBRs and suppressors, after they get their refunds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi all,and happy New Years! I just wanted to share my experience. So far I went through the loops with the store front and zoning and ext. sent my paperwork nov 5th 2018 had the interview on December 11th 2018 we went through 3 hour meeting going over a lot of questions that were on thier laptop on security, record keeping and how to fill out different forms “it need to be the way they want it to be”. The last thing the agent said was “I can’t tell you when you will be getting your license but it will be in the mail”. We shook hands and parted ways. so far I’m still in the waiting game with all holidays with Christmas, New Years and all. Hopefully all comes in soon because it’s the beginning of the year and I really want to get the momentum going on my first business. I hope this info helps out anyone in the future!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi all,and happy New Years! I just wanted to share my experience. So far I went through the loops with the store front and zoning and ext. sent my paperwork nov 5th 2018 had the interview on December 11th 2018 we went through 3 hour meeting going over a lot of questions that were on thier laptop on security, record keeping and how to fill out different forms “it need to be the way they want it to be”. The last thing the agent said was “I can’t tell you when you will be getting your license but it will be in the mail”. We shook hands and parted ways. so far I’m still in the waiting game with all holidays with Christmas, New Years and all. Hopefully all comes in soon because it’s the beginning of the year and I really want to get the momentum going on my first business. I hope this info helps out anyone in the future!
View Quote
You won't get it until after the furloughed government employees go back to work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You won't get it until after the furloughed government employees go back to work.
View Quote
I figured thats what happened, That’s another whole experience of its own to share. Bright side thier is still a lot to do and most likely pass the time quick until all this shut down thing passes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top