Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2021 10:59:50 AM EDT
Winchester Wildcat .22 LR 40-Grain Rimfire Ammunition is the only bulk pack .22 my Academy appears to stock right now.

There is what the package looks like:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-wildcat-22-lr-40-grain-rimfire-ammunition

How is this ammunition?

The firearm I would use it in is a Ruger Mk 2 semi-automatic pistol.

I am especially thinking about reliability.

I don't know where to buy the federal bulk pack I used to get.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Crap....but it still might run in your ruger
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
No real problem with it, I have a hell of a lot.  Adequate for squirrel hunting, but I would not shoot a match with it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Expect a few duds and crooked bullets.  Expect to have to give it a good cleaning more frequently.  Do not expect better than "meh" levels of accuracy.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Expect a few duds and crooked bullets.  Expect to have to give it a good cleaning more frequently.  Do not expect better than "meh" levels of accuracy.

View Quote

My experience is the same.  It’s fine for killing cans on a summer afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My P17 likes it just fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a good chance it'll work just fine in your Ruger.  While not the highest quality or the most accurate .22lr in the world, it is usually pretty reliable in most all rifles and pistols.  Winchester loads their bulk-pack Wildcat to function well, at the expense of accuracy in my experience.

It's not CCI-quality but it's usually great for plinking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
These days you have to shoot what you can find, so have at it.

My personal tiers of ammo quality go like this:
Lapua and SK
Closely second eley
RWS
Anything else from Europe
CCI
Aguila
Federal
And tied for last for lowest quality are Remington and Winchester

Doing a lot of long range precision shooting lately, and have as a result become something of an ammo snob. Wouldn’t even try to shoot a match with American made .22

For general plinking in a pistol most anything will do, but with any bulk stuff expect less reliability and accuracy unless you get extremely lucky with a “good lot”
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It works in most of my semi’s.
Dirty. Leads up barrels. Requires scrubbing out with a copper bore brush.
Decent accuracy. Until the barrel leads up.
I use it mainly in the lever actions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Dirty.  Adequate enough accuracy for plinking but definitely not precision stuff.  When there are other choices on the shelf I wouldnt buy it, but I'd probably grab a box or two if I saw it sitting on a shelf for retail price now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a few 100rd plastic packs of it.  Worst .22 ammo I've used in 40 years.  In several guns, 4-6" 50yd groups.  I can't make it up.  Same guns print under an inch with CCI mini mags, SV, and really tight groups with Aquila extra.  Even federal bulk pack stuff outshoots it.  It's zippy though.  The packs I have say 1330fps.  I use it to cull sick chickens at muzzle contact distance, so I don't miss.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Darn. SuperX Dynapoints were great hunting ammo, 20-30 years ago. And the 525 Wildcat packs for $8.97 at Walmart were just as good.
Sad to hear it's crap now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems to be on the generous side of the tolerances.  I shoot a S&W 17 and 18, and they have tight chambers and the driving band seemed to be oversized.  But, they seemed to run okay in my 10/22 and CMMG 22 upper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top