Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 2:44:27 PM EDT
How is Aguila .22 Super Extra high velocity ammo?  It is copper plated.

I would like some feedback from the hive mind.

I saw some in Academy in a bulk pack.

The I would use it in a Ruger MK2 pistol...

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Aguila .22 rimfire ammo is some of the best out there.  Very similar to CCI in quality.

Way better than any of the American bulk brands.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Smells good too!
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Deleted. Wrong ammo
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It runs fine in my MK IV 22/45. It is noticeably hotter than SV bulk ammo from fed or CCI.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smells good too!
View Quote

That is the stinkiest ammo I've ever fired.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say it's on par with CCI Mini-Mag.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff. I stacked it deep a couple years ago. It does smell odd when shooting.

My Advantage Arms .22 Glock upper shoots it accurately, a little better than Mini-Mags. My Ruger Single Six does not*. Disclaimer: I haven't shot it at paper in the revolver, but my hit count on the steel targets drops with the Aguila every time.

As with all things rimfire, there's really only one way to find out if it will work well in your gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It runs fine in a friends MarkII, he bought after firing mine , when they were current
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a bunch and it runs well in a AR conversion and my TX22.
Stinks like cat piss and is smokey.
Used to 3-4cpr.  Got some great deals from Target Sports pre covid. Now 9-10cpr is ok
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve run thousands of rounds of the stuff through my G44 and M&P 15-22.  Good quality.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aguila .22 rimfire ammo is some of the best out there.  Very similar to CCI in quality.

View Quote

Sadly all too true ^^^^^^^^^^^^. Pretty much all I buy anymore when I can is CCI and Aguila. Consistently runs in all my 22s and is accurate as well. I have a metric ton of older (10-20 year old) bulk American made ammo that shoots very consistently and is dependable. Still better than most bulk Amer made in the last 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s still high velocity, so not much to write home about in the accuracy department, but it’s quite good for it’s class.

The bullets do actually expand, at least in water jugs at 25yds. IIRC they made the first jug jump and settled in the second with a nice mushroom.

I have no idea how long the wound neck is though, so it may not make much difference from a normal RN if used on small game.

I would absolutely buy it for plinking or just generally having 22lr ammo on the shelf. Good stuff overall.

It’s cousin in the blue box, the “subsonic” is also good stuff and in some guns may equal CCI SV. In mine, it’s a little less accurate but still suitable for small game hunting to 35yds. I consider the CCI SV good to 50yds on squirrel. Most HV choices limit the accurate range to 35yds in my guns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Edit; it was the interceptor I shot. That stuff screams out of my RARF bolt action
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have ran the Aquila Super Extra 38 grain hollow point and 40 grain round nose in my Glock G44, Kel-Tec CP33, S&W 22A, and Taurus 942 revolver. Both function well in all and I get good accuracy. While they do shoot well, CCI AR Tactical and CCI Mini Mags are more accurate out of all of my hand guns.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It’s still high velocity, so not much to write home about in the accuracy department, but it’s quite good for it’s class.

The bullets do actually expand, at least in water jugs at 25yds. IIRC they made the first jug jump and settled in the second with a nice mushroom.

I have no idea how long the wound neck is though, so it may not make much difference from a normal RN if used on small game.

I would absolutely buy it for plinking or just generally having 22lr ammo on the shelf. Good stuff overall.

It’s cousin in the blue box, the “subsonic” is also good stuff and in some guns may equal CCI SV. In mine, it’s a little less accurate but still suitable for small game hunting to 35yds. I consider the CCI SV good to 50yds on squirrel. Most HV choices limit the accurate range to 35yds in my guns.
View Quote

The subsonic has a hard time cycling my 10/22 and Buckmark. Lots of malfunctions.  CCI never fails.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up some Aguila a couple of years ago just to see if it was any good. Ran it through my 10/22. I had Winchester 100rd boxes, CCI mini mags, and some Federal Bulk pack with me that day.

The results I got surprised me a lot, I expected the CCI to be the best, ie consistent groups. Well the Aguila by far made the best groups out of my rifle, it made some really good groups. After that I've only bought Aguila, until the shortage...now it's take what I can get.

On the smell it being fired, it reminded me of the Eley target ammo we used in matches for JROTC rifle team.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a decent supply but have not shot any. I’ll burn it up before my mini mags though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a ton of this ammo years ago (thanks again to whoever on here posted that link).  Everyone said it was really good stuff.  For me, and my rifles, cci SV's are prob the best for the price.  Only thing that shot better was wolf gold and it was marginally better.  Aguila shot "ok" but not as good as sv's and smelled like crap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The subsonic has a hard time cycling my 10/22 and Buckmark. Lots of malfunctions.  CCI never fails.
View Quote

Shame. Best I remember (normally shoot HV in my TCR) they cycle well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
My favorite HV ammo, bar none. Its been more accurate in more rifles than CCI minimags, and I don't think I've had a single FTF with it either. That and being able to get it cheaper than the minis did it for me. Aguila's SV IMHO isn't quite as good as the CCI, but I don't think either is all that great to start with.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, the batch I tried has not been performing well.  Quite a few misfires, jams, and even a out of battery detonation! (my first ever).  
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, the batch I tried has not been performing well.  Quite a few misfires, jams, and even a out of battery detonation! (my first ever).  
View Quote

Sounds like you have a gun problem. Aguila is good stuff. Do you have another gun to try it in?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Back when it was first being sold here I cracked the slide on a Taurus PT 22 shooting it. I was also getting split cases in a Ruger MKI and a 10/22. I have about half a brick left but I'm almost afraid to shoot it. This was some early to mid 90s stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Also shoots pretty good in my M&P 22c. Haven’t shot the gun without a silencer on it yet. Have about 7 boxes of the aguila through it, and maybe a box and a half of CCI SV.

Both run well are are good for hitting 6x12” steel at 60yds, or 1.5” swingers at 25. Easily minute of rabbit with either ammo and no notable change in POI for ringing steel or bouncing cans.

Tried some of the GECO SV semiauto stuff. Only shot a mag because it impacted so low, easily 6” at 25yds.

I assume when it’s pretty dirty it won’t cycle the SV without silencer, but frankly I have no interest in even trying. It’s a quiet toy for some quick backyard plinking.

Even from the pistol at 25yds, those Aguila HP expanded well and did quite some damage to watermelons on the fourth. Good ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I've found it to be good stuff.  As accurate as CCI Mini Mag, and more accurate in some of my guns.  Ignition is very consistent in my CPC tuned 10/22 rifles, as I see very few fliers.

As others have stated, the hollow point version does expand.  Firsthand on squirrels they do as good a job as CCI Mini Mag HP.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#27]
That HV Aguila is reliable, cycles well in all my semi-autos both rifles and pistols, including my Ruger Mk II 5" bull barrel target.   It goes bang every time, but runs very dirty and has indifferent so-so accuracy.  Not match ammo or even close.  Fine for plinking and non-critical stuff.   Head shots on squirrels at 40 yards will be difficult.  Reliable, yes, but among the best?  No.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought a bunch of it for cheap last year. No problems with it. Smells like ass but you sorta get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Found this picture of a test target I shot with multiple groups of each ammo off bags at 25 yards.  

CCI SV is my defacto accuracy standard for bulk ammo.  I could get finicky and measure groups but to my eyeball test, the Aguila HV loads hang with the CCI SV.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top