Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2018 11:37:33 PM EDT
My F1 can is pretty damn heavy (8" To tube, steel end caps, freeze plug baffles...my shitty fishing scale said 1.22 pounds) and was wondering what's the limit for sticking one on a handgun? I currently don't have a booster nor a threaded barrel for my CZ75 compact and didn't want to waste the money on the combo without knowing if it should work or not.

Of course there's ways I could maybe shave an ounce or two off that by replacing the front steel end cap with an aluminum one, hacking up my baffles/blast chamber spacer material, digging all the carbon out, etc but we're not talking a lot there...

So anyhow, what does the hive say?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's definitely too heavy for a Gemtech booster.  Might work with a Liberty, only way to know for sure is to try.  Personally I'd file another form 1 and build a lighter can.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's definitely too heavy for a Gemtech booster.  Might work with a Liberty, only way to know for sure is to try.  Personally I'd file another form 1 and build a lighter can.
View Quote
How does the liberty compare to the one SDTA offers? Is the liberty compatible with SDTA tube threads?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a pistol that requires no booster and your problem is solved.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
So......thread a hi point

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that virtually all handguns that aren't of a fixed barrel blowback design require a booster....

ETA: google for dummies....so I need beretta 92 or similar to go that route
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You definitely need a booster. 1.2lbs isn't too much overkill. I've heard of heavier cans functioning w/ the Liberty booster.
Your plan about removing material from the baffles and blast spacer is sound.
Your idea to replace components w/ lighter ones would be a felony. So, don't do that
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You definitely need a booster. 1.2lbs isn't too much overkill. I've heard of heavier cans functioning w/ the Liberty booster.
Your idea to replace components w/ lighter ones would be a felony. So, don't do that
View Quote
What's wrong with replacing the end caps? Replacement endcaps are pretty much the norm now unless I'm missing something....
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that virtually all handguns that aren't of a fixed barrel blowback design require a booster....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beretta 92 still needs a booster if the can is too heavy.  It'll handle more weight than a tilt barrel action, but only fixed barrel actions don't care about the weight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's wrong with replacing the end caps? Replacement endcaps are pretty much the norm now unless I'm missing something....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you have some way for your endcaps to not be silencer parts you can't swap them out.

The companies offering swappable endcaps all have some sort of muzzle brake or flash can that uses the same endcap, making them not silencer parts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always have your tube re-cored by an authorized person ffl7-sot3. They can replace your FP's with aluminum or titanium internals and I believe they can replace the end cap as well. It'll cost ya but it save you $200 and 7 months on a new stamp. SD Tac offers a mono core recore also.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You could always have your tube re-cored by an authorized person ffl7-sot3. They can replace your FP's with aluminum or titanium internals and I believe they can replace the end cap as well. It'll cost ya but it save you $200 and 7 months on a new stamp. SD Tac offers a mono core recore also.
View Quote
No need to go through all that. Albeit a might heavy, there's no reason his can shouldn't suppress. He can absolutely remove material from his current build, w/o need of a licensed Mfr. Cut some material from the FP skirts and blast spacer. Definitely add a booster, you should need one either way. Give it a try a post your results.

Just for clarity and no one's confusion:
A Class 3 SOT (FFL type 1 required) only deals and transfers NFA items.
A Class 2 SOT (FFL type 7 required) can deal, transfer, and manufacture NFA items.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No need to go through all that. Albeit a might heavy, there's no reason his can shouldn't suppress. He can absolutely remove material from his current build, w/o need of a licensed Mfr. Cut some material from the FP skirts and blast spacer. Definitely add a booster, you should need one either way. Give it a try a post your results.

A Class 2 SOT (FFL type 7 required) can deal, transfer, and manufacture NFA items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm definitely going to try lightening it first since I'm a cheapass over stuff like this, plus I'm going to need a booster either way so will order the liberty soon.

Quoted:
Sirearms is the one SD Tac uses/used. Their website lists the monocore as stainless but maybe I can get one in Ti for a non-crazy amount because it seems to really not remove any weight in comparison to just a freezeplug baffle stack

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you have some way for your endcaps to not be silencer parts you can't swap them out.

The companies offering swappable endcaps all have some sort of muzzle brake or flash can that uses the same endcap, making them not silencer parts.
That's "logical"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top