Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2020 6:14:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do this, hold the barrel properly.  Live center in the muzzle.  If you are worried about the crown use something like this.  You can even turn them yourself.  Make the tool to make the tool to do the job, the beauty of machining

Or just make sure your live center is clean, smooth and inserted into the muzzle correctly.

Joat
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Just about the easiest thing to do on a lathe; make something round smaller.

I’d do it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The first few barrels I ever took from a blank to a profiled and threaded barrel - chambered and ready to screw into the receiver - were done on a $200 mini-lathe with plastic gears and frankly scary setups.

Do your part and it will work just fine. The machine is powerful enough to do what you want with light cuts.

ETA: You'll be better off with HSS than carbide with how flexible the little ways are. I found that out the hard way. You just can't take a heavy enough cut on the mini/desktop machines to make carbide do its job properly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Make light cuts so you don't stress the lathe's limits. I always thought a decent mini lathe with a 1.2"+ through hole would sell in the USA for home gunsmiths. Grizzly's smallest gunsmith lathes are perfect for home use, the problem is most people can't justify the expense just to be able to do it themselves.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I’d actually rather use HSS for just about everything on the lathe, but I don’t have a bench grinder. That’s how I ended up going with carbide.
View Quote

Any cheap bench grinder will work fine. HSS blanks are cheap enough on eBay.

I really suggest you go that route - carbide will cause more headaches than it saves will how light each pass needs to be on the tiny lathes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was doing .025” cuts in steel this weekend and the lathe was doing fine; it was actually getting to the point where it was making good chips. Crappy surface finish, although it cleaned up easily enough with a file. I should just bite the bullet and get a grinder, though.
View Quote

The surface finish being awful is because of the flex in the machine - and of course the vibration!

Twenty five thou total right? There's no way the mini-lathe I used to use would be able to take off twenty five a side. Maybe in plastic - but nothing else.

HSS cutting 416R or whatever stainless your barrel is will be a breeze. I like to use Tap Magic for fluid but even something like WD40 works a trick. Just don't try to cut it dry with HSS as nearly all stainless is gummy and wants to grab the bit. On a mini-lathe that can ruin the plastic gears in a heartbeat so unlike with larger machinery where you can safely brute-force it you do need to play it safe as possible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I chopped, threaded and did some minor profiling on a few barrels on a mini before i finally picked up my used ATrump several years ago.
Slow and tedious but it can be done. Surface finish likely won't be great.
Stiffness and inertia are your friend and the minis have neither.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, 25 a side.  About 900 rpm, .004" feed rate. It's a Grizzly 7x14.  I'm still working on getting it mounted to a solid surface and squaring everything up properly, and the gibs need some tweaking - seems like they're always loosening up which isn't helping rigidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The surface finish being awful is because of the flex in the machine - and of course the vibration!

Twenty five thou total right? There's no way the mini-lathe I used to use would be able to take off twenty five a side. Maybe in plastic - but nothing else.

No, 25 a side.  About 900 rpm, .004" feed rate. It's a Grizzly 7x14.  I'm still working on getting it mounted to a solid surface and squaring everything up properly, and the gibs need some tweaking - seems like they're always loosening up which isn't helping rigidity.

You're cutting twenty five thou a side in steel in a 7x14 lathe and you wonder why the gibs keep coming loose.

Unless Grizzly really upped the quality dramatically - you're going to shake that thing to pieces. No wonder you've been getting chatter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, when you put it that way...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're cutting twenty five thou a side in steel in a 7x14 lathe and you wonder why the gibs keep coming loose.

Unless Grizzly really upped the quality dramatically - you're going to shake that thing to pieces. No wonder you've been getting chatter.

Well, when you put it that way...

Don't get me wrong. As long as you're not cutting to a particular spec - other than threads where you should be taking light passes - then you'll be fine. You might unintentionally be cutting tapers. You may not be getting what size you're aiming for.

If all you want is the barrel to be lighter and look alright and be functional then by all means - blaze away!

Just don't expect that machine to be particularly accurate or able to properly turn a cylinder if you keep hammering it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever you do....don't chuck on the barrel extension.

Don't ask.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't ask.....
View Quote

That's a learning experience for sure! In general I agree.

If the threads are concentric - and the extension itself is well-made - you can get away with it. If you're not indicating it with a bore rod you're just asking for trouble though.

The easiest solution I've found is to turn a little center for the spindle and shape it so that it can reach right through the lugs and ride on the chamber. I use a chunk of 17-4 that I had laying around and drilled a hole to accept brass round rod. Turned to a cone it works great and can be replaced without difficulty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask.....

It was. Taught me to stay with welding, pay a smith for such things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't think I'd chuck it on the extension for anything where concentricity with the bore was critical.  Turning down the profile...not so critical.
View Quote

I didn't even get the jaws fully tight, the hardened extension split like glass.

Had to shit can a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I didn't even get the jaws fully tight, the hardened extension split like glass.

View Quote

What brand, and how much elbow grease
If it can't take being chucked in a lathe, i wouldn't trust it to contain an explosion 8" from my face.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What brand, and how much elbow grease
If it can't take being chucked in a lathe, i wouldn't trust it to contain an explosion 8" from my face.
View Quote

RRA.

I'll not claim that I didn't overdo  it as far as elbow grease.  It did not feel excessive but then again,  I am no machinist.

Eta: Just pointing it out as a word of caution. I'm sure qualified individuals do it every day without borking their bbls.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think I'd chuck it on the extension for anything where concentricity with the bore was critical.  Turning down the profile...not so critical.

Wow.

I'm glad that particular extension broke in a chuck - because it was going to give up the ghost at any point. Best case scenario it was going to lose lugs on the next shot.

ETA: Wait - you junked a barrel due to the barrel extension breaking? At that point you could have just replaced the extension.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow.

I'm glad that particular extension broke in a chuck - because it was going to give up the ghost at any point. Best case scenario it was going to lose lugs on the next shot.

ETA: Wait - you junked a barrel due to the barrel extension breaking? At that point you could have just replaced the extension.
View Quote

Timing an extension on a lined barrel would likely require plugging and re-drilling the gas port.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Isn't machining stainless a whole nother level of difficulty? Especially with DIY level equipment?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Yes, scrapped it. No amount of heat/torque would loosen the extension.  Even chucked the bbl up and used a cheater on the driver.

My intent at that point was to plug the GP and redrill once a new extension was torqued.  

The bbl was new/unfiired. It was a waste and a learning experience on my part. I stay in my own lane these days.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Timing an extension on a lined barrel would likely require plugging and re-drilling the gas port.
View Quote

Exactly my plan at one point.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, scrapped it. No amount of heat/torque would loosen the extension.  Even chucked the bbl up and used a cheater on the driver.

My intent at that point was to plug the GP and redrill once a new extension was torqued.  

The bbl was new/unfiired. It was a waste and a learning experience on my part. I stay in my own lane these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

That's crazy QC from the manufacturer. I'm really glad you didn't fire that barrel - it sounds like it would have ended poorly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's crazy QC from the manufacturer. I'm really glad you didn't fire that barrel - it sounds like it would have ended poorly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Possibly. Hard to know.

FWIW, I've had nothing but great performance out of 2 other identical bbls, still shooting above average for a couple of family members.  All bought within the same calendar year.

I just had to be different and attempt to mod the HBAR profile.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#29]
will a barrel fit through the chuck?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#31]
since we are talking about the mini lathe I have the 7x10. Has anybody here extended the bed. I always run out of room and would really like more length to work, maybe 2 feet or so.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one of the harbor freight 8x12 (really 14" between centers)

I have done what you are trying. I just put 2 pieces of electrical tape over the crown of the muzzle and put it between centers. I had a cheap aluminum scope ring that I clamped onto the barrel and used it as a dog and the jaws of the 4 jaw chuck is what drove the dog.

I'm not a fan of carbide tooling unless it's insert tooling.

Then just profile your final OD to desired thickness. then you can come back and use the compound to clean up the transition points then a final blend with crocus cloth w/oil. (make sure to cover your ways)

If you want a brushed finish use some grey scotch brite pads and strop it one direction till the finish looks even. Or you can blast it, if you have the means to do so.

before to long you'll be making your own barrels from scratch.

It's a fun hobby.

If you haven't already figured it out. the machine is the cheapest part Tooling, chucks, PMI's, ect are where all of the money ends up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I did it to my ban era bushmaster heavy barrel.  It certainly did reduce weight.  I primed and painted with bbq paint.  Looked fine and handled better.

ETA:
I used hss-cobalt cutting tools.  I’m seeing now a stainless barrel that you have.  Take light passes.  I used a steady rest and three jaw chuck.  I didn’t want to recrown the barrel end.  I wasn’t too concerned about exact barrel concentric.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top