Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 2:05:14 PM EDT
Getting setup with a vendor's license to start selling firearms vs. just doing transfers.

What software/process do you use to track sales to calculate sales tax needed to be remitted to the state?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
know your tax rate and apply in your POS system. swipe simple is easy. then in GA i file a return each month with the state. its all self reported and self paid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What POS system do you use?

I'm just a little guy. Wasn't even planning on messing with all that. Was just going to do cash/check, but sounds like I need to rethink that strategy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a recently formed, small startup business as well. I was originally going to do the old fashioned check and cash method, but after thinking about it I realized that having the option to accept credit/debit cards would be a huge advantage. Yes, any payment processor is going to charge a fee for each transaction, but most aren't that expensive. A small 1-3% of each transaction done with a card is worth it to me, seeing as how many people don't even use checks anymore and others don't want to carry a large amount of cash on them, as well as some people who want the security of having the backing of their bank as a security of their purchase. From the perspective of a customer, the only time I won't use a card to make a firearm purchase is when I need to purchase first and then tell my wife afterwards, once I can show her the justification for it

Many banks also offer payment processing abilities if you have a business account with them, although they tend to charge higher fees and I wouldn't personally consider going this route unless I'm making a ton of transaction with a high revenue. Some POS companies also will charge a flat monthly fee instead of, or in addition to a per transaction fee. I ended up signing up through gunpos.com and getting a free POS device. Another advantage of this service for me was the fact that the clover pos system can integrate seamlessly with the FastBound service. So I can conduct a sale, background check, and 4473 all in one place. I'm still waiting for my FFL to come in mail so I haven't been able to use it yet, but I've been experimenting with it in the mean time and I already am a fan of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at Swipe Simple.
View Quote

very easy. to use. im using fortis but some people in a few FB recommend/swear by payroc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Quickbooks online for all my book keeping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top