Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 8:31:34 PM EDT
Just trying to get some feedback. How do you provide your transfer service for your customers.

Example.

Customer is buying something off gunbroker

Do you:

A-give your FFL copy to customer to process thru to seller
B- have your customer give you seller info and you deal direct with seller. Not the payment of course.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just trying to get some feedback. How do you provide your transfer service for your customers.

Example.

Customer is buying something off gunbroker

Do you:

A-give your FFL copy to customer to process thru to seller
B- have your customer give you seller info and you deal direct with seller. Not the payment of course.
View Quote

It's really up to you. If you start handing out a copy of your FFL to customers, don't be surprised to have guns just randomly showing up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If the seller is an FFL I send out a copy of my license.  If the seller is a non-licensee he gets my first 3, last 5, and a link to EzCheck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
i get the seller contact info and order number, then i send my info.  i've done biz with so many dealers that most of the "normal" ones already have my info.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I do give out a copy of my FFL to only guys I've done business with atleast 5 times and of those 5 all of them had to have gone smooth or I don't give it out.

Any random first timer I just usually deal with the FFL directly. But of course I gotta hear the buyer whining about it. I can understand considering firearms are pricey and people have been burned both ways by sending FFL/seller and receiving FFL

What's everyone charging ?

I was doing $15 for first item and $10 after for same transaction. Yes I know that's cheap. But I said I "was" only to get my name out there. Now I'm at $25 first one and $15 each after. Same transaction.

I can say service is key. Lotta buyers don't get good service I suppose but then again there's always reasons why the FFL is the way he/she is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I deal directly with the other FFL
The customer never gets a copy of my FFL

I charge $20 per transfer
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a fillable form in the "contact us" section of our website as well as a copy of our FFL.

80% of the time the customer fills out the form and/or the customer contact info is sent with the gun, and we're open 7 days a week and have a full time receiving clerk which makes receiving transfers easy.  We don't make a fuss if they don't arrange it with us first because of that, business is business and we'll take it where we can get it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I just get a order number and email address and send a watermarked copy along with a reference to the order#. I just always hope that if I do a hassle free transfer for somebody that the next time they want a gun they will check here first.

Most of the time it is no hassle. I just had to take care of one for a guy transferring from deguns and it has been a total headache. They want it submitted on the web page which I had to set up an account then submit. There is something wrong with the page and after 10 attempts I contacted them and sent it to 2 email addresses. Then today I was contacted and the order will not ship until they get a copy or the FFL. I was out eating lunch but happened to have my laptop in my truck so I was able to go outside and send another copy then I called them to make sure they received it. I hope it is over because I have close to a hour invested in it and will only make $10 on the transfer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just get a order number and email address and send a watermarked copy along with a reference to the order#. I just always hope that if I do a hassle free transfer for somebody that the next time they want a gun they will check here first.

Most of the time it is no hassle. I just had to take care of one for a guy transferring from deguns and it has been a total headache. They want it submitted on the web page which I had to set up an account then submit. There is something wrong with the page and after 10 attempts I contacted them and sent it to 2 email addresses. Then today I was contacted and the order will not ship until they get a copy or the FFL. I was out eating lunch but happened to have my laptop in my truck so I was able to go outside and send another copy then I called them to make sure they received it. I hope it is over because I have close to a hour invested in it and will only make $10 on the transfer.
View Quote
Don't forget, GD will tell you that you are making easy money on transfers for ten minutes of work, as they see it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I charge $45 and I don't deal with gunbroker or normal (ie buds or such) on line purchases....... normally.
I will only deal with gunbroker after I have a face to face with the buyer that what they buy is between them and the seller, I will most of the time find out that the buyer is a collector and knows that or is buying a cutom gun from a manufacturer that I wouldn't want to lay the cash out for to make a percentage so I just make my $45.

Now you might say I am losing all kinds of sales but most times if the buyer is looking for a current gun I can get close enough after I explain the transfer fee; as for the high dollar custom job I don't have to deal with "when is it coming in? where is it? can I get a refund?" so I get my $45 and they are happy and come back to pick up common current guns or recommend their friends.

Oh.... I send my FFL attached to the buyers invoice back to the seller so they can't come back saying they didn't know it was for invoice 123
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This ^...too simple.  I only need the sellers email and an order number.  Some of you have way too much drama or jump through ridiculous hoops to do transfers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the seller is an FFL I send out a copy of my license.  If the seller is a non-licensee he gets my first 3, last 5, and a link to EzCheck.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same.

Except $25 and $35+actual shipping for transfers out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't forget, GD will tell you that you are making easy money on transfers for ten minutes of work, as they see it.
View Quote
You are!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are!
View Quote
I suppose that it's easier than breaking up rocks with a sledgehammer, but many transfers are much more involved than ten minutes of work....
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I email my FFL to the seller for the most part
i will only give a hard copy to people i do regular deals with.

i have never had a issue doing transfer like this

i charge 25 for long gun and 35 for handguns
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I suppose that it's easier than breaking up rocks with a sledgehammer, but many transfers are much more involved than ten minutes of work....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are!
By the time you look at the cost of running a business $60/hr isn’t anything. The people charging $20-$30 for a transfer are doing it because they want to, not to make “easy money”. Don’t get beat down by people thinking that you are ripping them of. If they don’t like what you charge, they can go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have a fillable form in the "contact us" section of our website as well as a copy of our FFL.

80% of the time the customer fills out the form and/or the customer contact info is sent with the gun, and we're open 7 days a week and have a full time receiving clerk which makes receiving transfers easy.  We don't make a fuss if they don't arrange it with us first because of that, business is business and we'll take it where we can get it.
View Quote
Sounds good !

I am a new dealer , just got approved for my FFL.

Are there any down sides to doing it like this for a new dealer like me other than getting gun sent to me that I might not know right off the bat who there for?

Can you or anyone else tell me is there any safety or security issues as far as having your FFL publicly posted on your website for anyone to use?

Thank you again gentleman for all your help!

S&E business I want to not only be able to have as many new customers as possible but I also do want to make it as easy for people to do business with me!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Your FFL information and number is NOT private and can be easily found by anyone with mediocre Google search skills.  Some dealers think that their information is some kind of secret and only available to the privileged few.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your FFL information and number is NOT private and can be easily found by anyone with mediocre Google search skills.  Some dealers think that their information is some kind of secret and only available to the privileged few.
View Quote
I am still shocked Google has not mapped FFLs onto their mapping app.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
They might be able to get your number and other info but are they getting a copy of your license?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They might be able to get your number and other info but are they getting a copy of your license?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can photoshop any dealers FFL# and my address onto an FFL in about two minutes. A hard copy of an FFL is worthless unless you verify on EzCheck that the information is correct and the license is currently valid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top