Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 7:24:19 AM EDT
I suppose many of you guys have a single NFA item, considering the price range. My question is how do you care for your 1 single NFA item? Suppose an AR15 SBR, M16, or the likes. The lower is a pretty strong item, but do you have experience damages, cracks, or anything on the lower? Pin holes penning, or anything like that? At this point the lowers would be at least 30-40 years old.

Just wondering how NFA guys take care of their lowers. Do you just not shoot very often or if you do shoot often, do you do anything special to take care of your lowers?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I treat them like tools.

I have 6 SBRs and 16 suppressors right now.

Waiting on another SBR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

I treat it like any other firearm or accessory.  I shoot the shit out of it, stack in the safe, drop it on the ground, toss it around, etc.  It's a firearm, not some fragile crystal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Can’t say when it comes to FA as I don’t own one and they’re significantly more expensive than other NFA items, but SBRs and suppressors, hell no.  They get treated like all my other firearms.  It takes a lot to hurt a forged lower or a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one NFA item, a SBR. It gets used probably the most out of all my rifles. No real special treatment. But then again all that's invested in it over a regular rifle is a $200 stamp, so not a big deal in the grand scheme.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you're really inquiring about full-auto weapons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
We have ten Vietnam-era surplus select-fire M16s at work.  We beat the crap out of them.  We're getting rid of them this summer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I only have one machinegun.  I shoot it just like all my other AR's.  Same thing with my SBR's and suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably would be best to post this in the M16 section, as those guys have the experience with AR lowers.

From what I've read, pin hole enlargement is one of the few things that can happen on a lower.  I think some people use these connectors that connect trigger and sear pins and such, to make it more of a rigid assembly, but I don't know for sure.

I think the general thought is that baring some case rupture or other firing related issue, or accidently damage from drops, run over with an ATV, etc. that the AR lower is a robust assembly that will last as long as you need it to.  It's a great design in that the lower is the firearm yet takes much less wear and tear than the upper
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/BlondLeadingGuppy-size_restricted-533.gif

I treat it like any other firearm or accessory.  I shoot the shit out of it, stack in the safe, drop it on the ground, toss it around, etc.  It's a firearm, not some fragile crystal.
View Quote
This when it comes to SBRs or Cans...

I have an extreme case of the Poors and can not afford to own or feed anything F.A....
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot it then put it back in the safe. If something breaks, it gets fixed or replaced. These aren't Rembrandts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I use anti-rotation pins in my M16 lower.  Other that, I shoot it and clean it like my AR15s.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Regular cleaning and maintenance.

There are some transferable MGs that are over 100 years old at this point, they have out lived their original owners and will likely outlive many more. With proper care and storage steel, aluminum parts, and even wood parts can last for thousands of years.

MGs are the same as semi-autos they just shoot faster.

There are some very rare and high end MGs that are collectors items not meant to be shot but the majority get used without much thought to the fact that they are worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Sadly most transferables will end up in a shredder due to government regulations long before they ever wear out or break.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I seen a couple threads here with aluminum rewelds on damaged FA lowers and DIAS.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I treat them the same as my other firearms. I protect them from rust and corrosion.
I cannot say I clean them regularly, but they get cleaned when they need to be cleaned. They're always properly lubed.

If they've got chrome-lined barrels I'll shoot cheap ammo through them (not Tula, but Wolf or Blazer etc.).

If I shoot corrosive ammo (like through a PPSh-41) it gets cleaned immediately and thoroughly after the shooting session (which usually lasts most of a day, since cleaning out those corrosive salts is such a PITA) and follow-up with multiple inspections over the next 2 weeks because that stuff will cause rust like crazy if not completely removed.

My M16 type weapons do not have any "special" parts compared to their semi-auto-only counterparts, except Geissele SSF triggers. (Bill does not call me.)

I lay down tarps when firing disintegrating-link belts (such as M13 links for my M60) and I recover the links, clean them (if necessary) and re-use them. I link belts myself to save money, or enlist volunteers.

If I'm close to to max firing schedule for the rapid rate, I swap to a cool barrel to prolong barrel life.

For guns which cannot do that (RPD) I just open the bolt and top cover and let it cool down before resuming.
I really don't want to cook my barrels from excessive heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top