Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 3:34:52 PM EDT
So-I'm located in Northern Illinois and stumbled into the night vision world a little while ago and built up a PVS-14 with all the goodies.

Night vision around here is super uncommon. State law prohibits hunting on public lands with anything over .22 or shotshell, which is crazy.

I'm wondering how you all find land to shoot at night on? I'm able to afford night vision, but not a bunch of land in the country. My buddy is moving to Dallas and I'm hoping he can find something down there for me to visit and shoot in the dark.

I'm hoping I can at least try shooting at night. Are there any good resources for finding night shoots, night classes, or just people to shoot with in general at night?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
find a private range that allows for night shooting?

I'm a member of a private range and have 24/7/365 access to the property.  I've had to sight in rifles under headlight illumination before.  haven't taken any NV gear out there yet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Live in a Gun friendly state near a good range, establish rapport with the range owner if need be and get the local hooked on it.
View Quote
I wish the first part was so easy.

Reaching out to some ranges that I've shot tactical matches at, maybe there will be luck there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have any National Forest land nearby? I’ve never seen any laws restricting shooting to daylight only.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Local range I am a member of. 5 or 6 years ago we did some night shoots, comp matches mainly. But we had a few guys show up and pay to use another range to shoot their nv stuff.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
im lucky to have some access to private land.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
National Forest and BLM
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in S.A, T.X.. Can someone help me find a place?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
National forest land is what you seek, but you'll either need to drive up to northern Wisconsin or down to the Shawnee.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
BLM land is your best bet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I text the range owner and let him know I'll be shooting. Or I'm on private land.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a decent club range in Dixon, IL.  Might call and see what their access hours are.
Or find a find a farm with a gravel pit.  That's where my dad shoots in central IL.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I would ask in the HTF.

Or go to Missouri and shoot with Shelbyguns.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
im lucky to have some access to private land.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would ask in the HTF.

Or go to Missouri and shoot with Shelbyguns.
View Quote
Its an option lol. Theres a Night Run n Gun I will be shooting next weekend. Well just shooting, not the running part.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Its an option lol. Theres a Night Run n Gun I will be shooting next weekend. Well just shooting, not the running part.
View Quote
The running is always the worst part

I've looked into public land. Might head out to Indiana and do some night hunting, I guess.

Some tactical "classes" that have a night shoot portion. But you have to shoot the entire series to qualify...which is frustrating.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've looked into public land. Might head out to Indiana and do some night hunting, I guess.

Some tactical "classes" that have a night shoot portion. But you have to shoot the entire series to qualify...which is frustrating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know its a ways off but come to the next Cola Warrior Flyover. Its in Iberia, MO around juneish. We do some night shooting after the night runs finish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
getting NV in illinois without private land is like having a sailboat in kansas. Helps to live near public wilderness in the west
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know its a ways off but come to the next Cola Warrior Flyover. Its in Iberia, MO around juneish. We do some night shooting after the night runs finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tempting. Not sure if my stomach can handle that kind of thing anymore lol.

Quoted:
getting NV in illinois without private land is like having a sailboat in kansas. Helps to live near public wilderness in the west
I’m gonna sail my boat out west to use my nods.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to move from VA to AZ.

Now most of my shooting is at night on BLM or National Forest Land.

The most popular public shooting spots are totally empty at night.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Come shoot you dont have to run.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But once you see everyone else running, you will to.

Gadsen is a great place to shoot. Can't wait to go back.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That has my attention. Not a big fan of puke so the whole thing wasn’t up my alley for the most part.

Seems like everyone has a great time though, maybe I’ll have to make a trip.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had to move from VA to AZ.

Now most of my shooting is at night on BLM or National Forest Land.

The most popular public shooting spots are totally empty at night.

View Quote
Out of curiousity-I know how to find BLM land but how do you know places that are better for shooting?

I was just out there a few weeks ago and it was a dream. I’m thinking about scheduling a trip to just come shoot in the desert. I would hate to be a nuisance or stumble into someplace I shouldn’t pop off rounds.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Lease some land. It’s not hard to find land to shoot on, if you make it clear you don’t care about hunting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That has my attention. Not a big fan of puke so the whole thing wasn’t up my alley for the most part.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were very welcoming of all people. Dont let the chicanery fool you. If you see the post in gd about make sure you post up that you want to go check it out. You might be able to find someone local to travel with. Ahem @sbd
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The BulletHole after dark. Even with the lights on you should be able to see your laser and illumination
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha!  No, I'm leaving the state due to lack of places to shoot LR, certainly no night shooting(CC,TX). I'm all done relying on others.

I got to zero my IR laser one time before day light saving time because it was dark enough yet at 7am.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#30]
im fortunate enough to own 400 acres in the mountains.

the only down side is im the only one who has nods. A buddy of mine has some also but hes over an hour away.

When I shoot at night I try to go as far back into the property as I can because I know the neighbors can hear the shots even 3/4 mile away.
I ended up getting a cheaper IR laser and putting it on a 15-22 so its not as bad.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ha!  No, I'm leaving the state due to lack of places to shoot LR, certainly no night shooting(CC,TX). I'm all done relying on others.

I got to zero my IR laser one time before day light saving time because it was dark enough yet at 7am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a GD thread with someone posting dead hogs almost nightly using NV in TX.  He even posted maps of his tracks.

Bullf-16 in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/OMFG-NIGHT-VISION/5-2155360/?page=22&anc=75894350#i75888393
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in Oregon.  I can shoot at night in about 87 million places.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There's a GD thread with someone posting dead hogs almost nightly using NV in TX.  He even posted maps of his tracks.

Bullf-16 in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/OMFG-NIGHT-VISION/5-2155360/?page=22&anc=75894350#i75888393
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nowhere near me and I am not going to take up hog hunting. Like I said, I am done relying on others.

I'm not going to be a parasite on someones ass begging to shoot on their land or trying to horn in on someone's hunting spot.

People generally don't want people they don't know well shooting on their property. I don't blame them, I wouldn't either.

They don't like hogs tearing up shit but one guy won't make a dent in the population. It isn't worth the risk of getting some tard in there shooting livestock, machinery, etc.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nowhere near me and I am not going to take up hog hunting. Like I said, I am done relying on others.

I'm not going to be a parasite on someones ass begging to shoot on their land or trying to horn in on someone's hunting spot.

People generally don't want people they don't know well shooting on their property. I don't blame them, I wouldn't either.

They don't like hogs tearing up shit but one guy won't make a dent in the population. It isn't worth the risk of getting some tard in there shooting livestock, machinery, etc.
View Quote
You can leave, but the avatar stays with us. It’s Texas law.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I got lucky enough to find a range somewhat local, about an hour away, that allows night shooting. I wouldn't mind finding something closer, but I'll take it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#36]
My local club allows for shooting up until 8:00PM (due to noise ordinances). I can shoot at night during the winter months. I also tend to show up during their executive board meetings, so everyone in charge of the range knows me and has had the opportunity to test out my gear.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My local club allows for shooting up until 8:00PM (due to noise ordinances). I can shoot at night during the winter months. I also tend to show up during their executive board meetings, so everyone in charge of the range knows me and has had the opportunity to test out my gear.
View Quote
Familiarity is key.

I ended up getting back in touch with a buddy who has land. Offered to let me come down and do some day shooting and night hunting.

To say I’m excited would be an understatement
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe Chicago?  Nobody will even notice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top