Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2021 7:50:00 PM EDT
Tried to work up to sierras max load with the 69gr smk and varget in 223.
First group on 25.3, the brass looked fine.
Second group of 25.6:

Last group was 25.9. Took one shot and then stopped.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You were wise to stop when you did
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You were wise to stop when you did
View Quote

I agree.

Just for the sake of curiosity, what brand/type of primers?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Some brands and types of primers are softer or harder so I don't base all my actions on the looks of the primers but yeah , something is going on here.

Commercial brass? military brass? loading up military with a load developed in commercial brass can get alarming results due to different internal volume
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree.

Just for the sake of curiosity, what brand/type of primers?
View Quote

CCI 41. Honestly they seem soft, which is the opposite of what I thought.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some brands and types of primers are softer or harder so I don't base all my actions on the looks of the primers but yeah , something is going on here.

Commercial brass? military brass? loading up military with a load developed in commercial brass can get alarming results due to different internal volume
View Quote

Once fired LC Brass, CCI 41, 2.260 OAL
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite load with same brass , bullet and primer is 26 grains 2.26oal. Works very well in all my uppers, 3000 fps in a 20" barrel. What is your OAL?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My favorite load with same brass , bullet and primer is 26 grains 2.26oal. Works very well in all my uppers, 3000 fps in a 20" barrel. What is your OAL?
View Quote

2.260. I’ve noticed that with the CCI 41s, they dent sometimes when I seat the primers. This is with non-crimped primer pockets. I’ll try to get some pics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course *I* know what you're talking about in that last picture, but just in case a new inexperienced reloader wanders into the thread, maybe one of you should explain what you're talking about.

(Seriously what are we looking at? I'm still learning and CCI 41s are one of only two bricks of primers I have)
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the published max load?

I'd probably not load them that hot (reasoning?), but I don't think you're past max yet, but you'd know your rifle better than anyone.  The primers are flattened, but not completely, there is still some rounding and it hasn't flowed to take the shape of the primer pocket yet, and there is no cratering/piercing around the firing pin.

That said you're awfully close, or at, max load in my opinion.

What is your COAL?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of course *I* know what you're talking about in that last picture, but just in case a new inexperienced reloader wanders into the thread, maybe one of you should explain what you're talking about.

(Seriously what are we looking at? I'm still learning and CCI 41s are one of only two bricks of primers I have)
View Quote

I don’t reload yet but I’m pretty sure the OP is talking about primer strikes being a little or a lot deep. I recently had something similar but I think the round was slightly out of battery. Recent range failure pic and the gun was running fine. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The primer is completely flattened out nearly all the way up to the edge of the primer pocket.

Compare the edge of the primer in the last pic to the first pic, you’ll see the first pic primers still have a decent rounded edge to them.

Flattened primers are one sign (of many) of excessive pressure.

Some of those cases appear to have some extractor flow as well, but gas guns can be a bit more finicky with showing those signs as other factors can contribute or outright cause it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I’d try seating 2.250 and see if pressure decreases, other then that the flattening looks fine and I’m seeing no swipes, firing pin strike looks deep though, what does your firing pin look like? What bcg?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don’t reload yet but I’m pretty sure the OP is talking about primer strikes being a little or a lot deep. I recently had something similar but I think the round was slightly out of battery. Recent range failure pic and the gun was running fine. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94465/89492B63-64E4-4720-B038-C05F4A4B4CE5_jpe-2097646.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94465/71317CF9-78BE-4131-BD79-6F366911C206_jpe-2097653.JPG
View Quote

I’m talking about the primers being flattened. But primer cratering is also a sign of pressure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My standard accuracy load for 69 grain SMK's in Lake City brass is 24.5 grains of Varget. I have used Remington 7.5's, CCI-BR4's and Russian kvb-5,56m primers with excellent accuracy.

It runs 2750 fps +/- from a 20" barrel which is a known accuracy window. The same ammo only does 2550 from my 16" Colt and still shoots under 1 moa.

I have zero interest in velocity, especially on the ragged edge of safety. A 69 grain SMK traveling at 3000 fps from a 20" barrel is over 5.56mm pressures and will likely cause premature wear, possibly damage to a rifle.

What is the need for speed?

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
In my 223 Wylde chambered 20" service rifle varget load is 25.2gr under a 77gr smk (this is a good load in my rifle but I worked up to it) I know different bullet but anyway I could have sworn cci41s were silver colored or am I just remembering wrong? (I've been mainly using up my rem 7 1/2 lately which are brass colored as are win srp) Anyway while they are flattening I personally am ok with brass like that out of my rifle, still has rounded edges. It gets more spooky to me when a primer looks like butter spread on toast and I see heavy ejector swipes on the brass (ar15). Just remember primer flattening is one of a handful of signs of pressure and is not an exact science as every rifle is different. I never give anyone a hard time for being conservative as it's your face not mine.

edit to add, I think the silver cci primers I'm thinking of are 400's or 450's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks more due to headspace clearance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could you explain this?
This never happened on factory ammo or other handloads.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#18]
This is what’s im talking about with these primers feeling soft. Again, this is new LC brass with no crimp and I’m not using excessive force when seating the primers. You can see slight deformation where to primer rod contacts the primer when seating.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I shoot 25.9 Varget, CCI41 or WolfSRM, 69SMK, 2.255" COAL, and this shoots very well in everything.  Never seen a primer flattening like yours in that load, very interesting.  

What barrel?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don’t reload yet but I’m pretty sure the OP is talking about primer strikes being a little or a lot deep. I recently had something similar but I think the round was slightly out of battery. Recent range failure pic and the gun was running fine. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94465/89492B63-64E4-4720-B038-C05F4A4B4CE5_jpe-2097646.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94465/71317CF9-78BE-4131-BD79-6F366911C206_jpe-2097653.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not OOB.  That's a case failure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Hodgdon has Varget data listing 26gr as max which is a compressed load, you may need a drop tube to settle the powder. Win case and Win SR
I am of the belief the magic envelope for varget with 69 SMK is +/- 0.3gr off of 25.0gr @ magazine length. Depending on the gun barrel of course
I have shot out WOA service rifle prepped upper, Rem 700 PSS 1/8 twist, several DPMS factory heavy bbl uppers, Colt 6920, CZ 527 from 1-9 to 1-7 twist
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I shoot 25.9 Varget, CCI41 or WolfSRM, 69SMK, 2.255" COAL, and this shoots very well in everything.  Never seen a primer flattening like yours in that load, very interesting.  

What barrel?
View Quote

Ballistic advantage 223 wylde
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You never responded with your COAL.

A lot of reloading recipes are shorter than mag length. Most load to mag length in my experience, which reduces pressure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hodgdon has Varget data listing 26gr as max which is a compressed load, you may need a drop tube to settle the powder. Win case and Win SR
I am of the belief the magic envelope for varget with 69 SMK is +/- 0.3gr off of 25.0gr @ magazine length. Depending on the gun barrel of course
I have shot out WOA service rifle prepped upper, Rem 700 PSS 1/8 twist, several DPMS factory heavy bbl uppers, Colt 6920, CZ 527 from 1-9 to 1-7 twist
View Quote

My gun really liked 25.6gr. Shot just over 0.5” at 70 yards with 4x scope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did - above.

Quoted:
Once fired LC Brass, CCI 41, 2.260 OAL

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I my experience the low end works better in .223 Wylde chambers, the high end better in 5.56mm NATO. I use 2.250" OAL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He did - above.

View Quote

Thanks. I overlooked that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I may try 25.3/25.6 with WSR primers as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Could you explain this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you explain this?

I’m genuinely curious how that can be told from the pictures too?

I “try” to read my primers as much as everyone else but sometimes it seems like they flatten well before they “should”

Never had ejector smears or any brass issues when loading 223/ 5.56.
But i live with some flat primers on the loads i need to go fast. (Sbr hunting ammo)

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
With any given primer brand, the more pressure inside the case, the more the primer cup will flatten out.  Depending on how hard and tough the cup is, seeing how flat the primer looks after firing can tell a lot about the internal ballistics of that particular load.  But different primer makers' primer cups can be as different as night and day from each other, so you cannot compare a load with a CCI primer to "the same load" with a Federal primer.

Flattened out isn't necessarily "bad."  But if the primer cup flows to fill out the radius of the primer pocket, that IS a problem.  Also, if the firing pin indentation "craters", with a raised rim around it, that's very bad.

However, it is impossible to accurately "read" anything beyond "that's ok" or "that's too hot" from primers.  Reading primers is helpful to compare specific loads, but it does not really tell you what pressure level you're reaching.  That requires at least a piezoelectric pressure sensing system - and those are available, but quite pricey.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Last group was 25.9. Took one shot and then stopped.
View Quote

What did your chrony say?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#32]
They look good to me.

Still have rounded edges but a bit of flattening in the middle.

As mentioned. Primer flattening is one sign. I’ve noticed cci flatten on loads that aren’t even close to max where rem 7.5 don’t show a sign of flattening. Primer pockets being of different tightness on pick-up brass or after multiple loads can play into it as well.

I would have probably shot that last string and if it shot well I’d have considered it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Reading primers is helpful to compare specific loads, but it does not really tell you what pressure level you're reaching.  That requires at least a piezoelectric pressure sensing system - and those are available, but quite pricey.
View Quote

Although we all do it, and are well advised to look carefully at our primers, the concept of reading pressure from primers is deeply flawed.  

It's probably best for comparing loads fired in the same rifle using the same batch of components.

Primer flattening can be caused by excessive headspace.

Primer cratering can be caused by excessive clearance between the firing pin and hole in the bolt face.  

Primer cup thickness and hardness causes variation in appearance, too.  

Excessively deep primer pockets can also cause flattening.

Variations in primer cup edges due to crimp removal can do it, too.

It's probably best for comparing loads fired in the same rifle using the same batch of components.  

One of my rifles shows all the classic signs of excessive pressure several grains below what everyone else uses.  I use 34-36, whereas, everyone else is up in the 38-41 grain region.  My primers say, go no higher.

Before I get off my soapbox - pressure measurement is available for the reloader for about the same price people pay for the Lab Radar chronographs.

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSI&Category_Code=PT

This image shows the effect of being seated on the lands versus being 30 thou off the lands.

OP, how far is your load off the lands?

IMO, but 2.260" is too long for magazine feeding.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Cci primer can be on the large side of spec.  New  brass have tight pockets. But the primer should not be marked.   You should be able to feel when primers  hit the botttom of the pocket.   A hand priming tool should not do the dent.  A progressive may.  
The dent should not hurt a thing. I have shot worse .  Have forced primers  into shallow  38,  & 45 acp crimped brass in my early days.  All fired.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe hit the cases with a primer pocket uniformer
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The primer is completely flattened out nearly all the way up to the edge of the primer pocket.

Compare the edge of the primer in the last pic to the first pic, you’ll see the first pic primers still have a decent rounded edge to them.

Flattened primers are one sign (of many) of excessive pressure.

Some of those cases appear to have some extractor flow as well, but gas guns can be a bit more finicky with showing those signs as other factors can contribute or outright cause it.
View Quote

They may even look like mini top hats when you knock them out. That happened to me with a .38 +p load I was working up. It only took a .1 gn increase in powder to go from normal looking to dead flat edge to edge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top