Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 1:40:13 AM EDT
I finally get ready to register an SBR.

1. What documents do I need to bring to the bank?
2. Would bank want to see or make a copy of the entire trust or just the signature page?
3. How do you name your trust? “TheStupid’s Gun Trust” doesn’t sound good to a bank employee.

Thank you so much.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
In this current climate, I would say going to a bank with a gun trust is a bad idea. Unless you want them to cut your business with them for "reasons."

Any notary will do. Bring the full copy of your trust.

The shorter the name, the easier to engrave.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my trust notarized for free at Wells Fargo. And open carried while doing so.
Bring the entire document.
They don't care what you name your trust.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I finally get ready to register an SBR.

1. What documents do I need to bring to the bank?
2. Would bank want to see or make a copy of the entire trust or just the signature page?
3. How do you name your trust? “TheStupid’s Gun Trust” doesn’t sound good to a bank employee.

Thank you so much.
View Quote
As others have posted, it's probably a better idea to go to a notary other than the one at your bank. And make sure that you know your state's trust laws. Some require 2 witnesses when notarized etc,. An ATF legal instrument examiner will review your trust to ensure that it adheres to your state.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I did mine at UPS store, FedEx Office might do them. IIRC mine cost $10, they had a second employee witness. Less hassle than going to a bank, imo.

eta: You should have the name of the trust already on the paperwork before you got to get it notarized. "In God We Trust" is one option for a name or if you want short just do your initials "TS Trust," no need to mention NFA or gun trust. In my experience you only need the full trust and photo ID.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the officers at my bank. No charge.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Do they want a copy of the trust or just want to see it?

Also what information do they record?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Bring the original documents and ID for who ever is signing it.  They will not keep a copy of you paperwork their job is to certify that the signature is who it say its is.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
As said, any notary should be able to do it and they shouldn’t keep any records of your trust. All they should do is verify identity of signers and witnesses. All they are doing is verifying that “you” signed it.  It shouldn’t cost much if anything.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It would help us to know what state you are in, as Notary and Trust laws are state specific.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
hell, had mine notarized at a UPS store - a sweet little ole lady who was in the store getting copies made was the witness - although she was a bit of a twat about my signature.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It would help us to know what state you are in, as Notary and Trust laws are state specific.
View Quote
I am in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
UPS store.  Drivers license. 

Banks suck for this, often their single notary will need to be chased down because of their schedule.  A larger UPS store will always have a notary on duty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They need the trust to notarize it and write down the name of it.  They won't record any other info, and your trust can be notarized with no items present.  All they notarize is the signature(s).  Mine has two signatures.

They record your DL information. 
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My bank has notaries at no charge.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The bank. Had it notarized the same time as I opened a checking account in the trusts name. Keep the name short and sweet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am in Texas.
View Quote
the great crew at silencer shop notarized mine
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the great crew at silencer shop notarized mine
View Quote
Would love to go but they are too far from me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#18]
My bank didn't review the paperwork in any way and quite honestly it's none of the notary's business. I showed them where to sign and my ID and I was done in less than two minutes and free. Any institution that would cut ties with you over legal activities should be kicked to the curb anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#20]
No one (notary) cares anything about the paper work. At all. Right, wrong, spelling, etc..
They are attesting that you are the actual signer of the document. Period.
Just find a notary. Most banks these days will only do banking notaries they need for internal stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I am a Notary. All I really worry about is the signature page. The rest is between you and whomever wrote the trust
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I had mine notarized at my credit union, no charge. They did the Trust, the initial contribution, and an assignment form in one sitting, took about five minutes. All I took in was the signature pages. She asked where the rest of the docs were, told her they were at home on my desk. I think she was only concerned that I hadn't left them in the lobby for kids to color on. The notary's log just shows my name, number and type of documents (3, and 'trust documents'), date, and my signature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top