Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2023 12:44:49 AM EDT
Wife bought a new safe for my birthday and had it delivered to the house. The delivery guys placed it in the garage but for some reason placed it on its back.

The safe is a Liberty Revere 64 from Tractor Supply and is 690 pounds. My 54 year old back is no bueno to get this thing upright especially without a powered lift. I need to call a mover on this but has anyone ever heard of a delivery service placing a safe on its back? It’ was still wrapped in plastic and cardboard but I removed it to inspect the condition of the exterior. All the surfaces appear pristine of course sans the back. I’m not worried about the back of it since that will be against the wall. My neighbor said he would help me get it upright and in my home office but how could I do it with one or two other guys? What equipment would anyone recommend or should I just pay a mover? As to moving it to the home office it’s 30 feet from the garage and only one step up at the interior garage door. It’s all flat tile from there to the office. My two smaller Liberty Franklins were just slid into place using those TV gimmick sliders but those safes were only 350 pounds and easy for me to handle five years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not call Tractor Supply or the delivery service and lodge a complaint?  Their people will be insured. Avoid doing this yourself, if you can.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not call Tractor Supply or the delivery service and lodge a complaint?  Their people will be insured. Avoid doing this yourself, if you can.
View Quote

No damage was done. I need to get it upright and in the house. Tractor Supply is only responsible for delivery. I was not home when it was delivered and my wife knows nothing of these things. I already made a complaint about them leaving it like that and nothing will be done. I am looking for a solution as soon as possible. If I can do it with a few guys and the right equipment then I’d rather do it that way but I am open to hiring a pro to do it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What part of the state?
View Quote

SW Florida, Cape Coral.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wife bought a new safe for my birthday and had it delivered to the house. The delivery guys placed it in the garage but for some reason placed it on its back.

The safe is a Liberty Revere 64 from Tractor Supply and is 690 pounds. My 54 year old back is no bueno to get this thing upright especially without a powered lift. I need to call a mover on this but has anyone ever heard of a delivery service placing a safe on its back? It’ was still wrapped in plastic and cardboard but I removed it to inspect the condition of the exterior. All the surfaces appear pristine of course sans the back. I’m not worried about the back of it since that will be against the wall. My neighbor said he would help me get it upright and in my home office but how could I do it with one or two other guys? What equipment would anyone recommend or should I just pay a mover? As to moving it to the home office it’s 30 feet from the garage and only one step up at the interior garage door. It’s all flat tile from there to the office. My two smaller Liberty Franklins were just slid into place using those TV gimmick sliders but those safes were only 350 pounds and easy for me to handle five years ago.
View Quote

I'm a bit younger than you are, but I'm to the point in life where I just no longer like to take chances of hurting myself. I'd try to find some guys to lift and move it. I'd hire if necessary. What's a couple hundred bucks when it comes to saving your body?

I hurt my back a couple of years ago and it's never been the same. I paid a chiropractor a ton of money to work on my back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm a bit younger than you are, but I'm to the point in life where I just no longer like to take chances of hurting myself. I'd try to find some guys to lift and move it. I'd hire if necessary. What's a couple hundred bucks when it comes to saving your body?

I hurt my back a couple of years ago and it's never been the same. I paid a chiropractor a ton of money to work on my back.
View Quote

I hear you. I’m getting back in shape and taking it slow but I’m not about to screw up my back or cause an injury. One of my Deputy’s tried to move his own safe and wound up hospitalized for two months due to the injuries. I’m calling a few places later in the morning to see if they can get out here later today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
2 or 3 regular guys could have that thing stood back up.  You could hammer a few wooden wedges under the edge to be able to get your fingers under there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it have a threaded hole up top to screw in an eye?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a similar situation and used an engine hoist and some straps to lift it upright and then up a step. A couple friends and some furniture Dolly's got it where it needed to be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#10]
In the ancient world before cranes and other mechanical advantage tools people had the wits to overcome huge obstacles like building the massive pyramids of Egypt with only human muscle.

So be like the ancient Egyptians....use slaves.

I kid, I kid....lol.

As someone said above, uses wooden wedges to drive under lifting it some, use something heavy to keep it from sliding on the other side and keep wedging until you can use leverage to stand it up. If you an have overhead anchor point using a ratchet strap will really help. If you can get a few friends over to lend a hand it would really be best. I moved my 2500# lathe around using my engine puller and a floor jack and was just going an inch at a time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
When my 750lb safe was delivered, the three guys from the moving company all looked like NFL linebackers.  Even they used lifts, straps, and sliders to get it into the house.  They knew that messing up your back is no bueno.  (One of them ended behind the safe as they moved it into a closet.  The other two joked that they might just leave him there.  I responded that I couldn't afford to feed him).
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
A cherry picker will work. Once you get it up past 60 or so degrees, gravity will take over.

As far as moving it.. Ive got the ticket for you!

Go to Home Depot and get some 1.5" diameter schedule 40 pvc pipe. Cut it into five equal length pieces 1.5 to 2 feet apart. Tilt the safe and push one underneath it. It will move on that single one, keep feeding until all five are under and as they start "popping" out, keep feeding them back under.

One man can move a safe.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Hire professional safe movers, they have all the tools
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2 or 3 regular guys could have that thing stood back up.  You could hammer a few wooden wedges under the edge to be able to get your fingers under there.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#15]
4 guys if it’s a biggie.

That said if you have anchor points you can use the big 3” wide ratcheting trucker style ratchet straps.   I did that three different times but I had a 12x14” carrier beam overhead.  At one point i had a big safe hanging in the air from two straps and set her back down on a moving dolly.   Another couple lifts off of the main beam of doubled 2x14” boards to get it up on to a snowmobile flat trailer.  

Be careful as stuff can go wrong.  I was by myself raising a safe from laying down to vertical and the bottom pivot point slid causing the safe to fall back on the dolly.  It shot the wheel bearings out of two of the wheels of the dolly. . Fortunately the dolly was borrowed from my brother who still owes me a couple grand.

The next time I did a safe we had 4 guys.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was able to get a 2x4 under the top so there is a good space for hands to get purchase.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does it have a threaded hole up top to screw in an eye?
View Quote

It does have a threaded hole on top.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hire professional safe movers, they have all the tools
View Quote

Waiting on a quote from a local business that sells safes and relocates them as well. I had one moving company respond this morning with a $800 quote. Told them hell no, not for a move within the same ground level house going 50 feet at most.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It does have a threaded hole on top.
View Quote
You can screw an eye bolt in it if you have something mechanical to hoist it up. Rent an engine hoist?

Seriously a couple of healthy guys should be able to stand this up. It's not like you have to lift the whole safe

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask the guys at the local gun shop up on capecoral who moves safes by you I think it is EBH or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can screw an eye bolt in it if you have something mechanical to hoist it up. Rent an engine hoist?

Seriously a couple of healthy guys should be able to stand this up. It's not like you have to lift the whole safe

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/76351878-AB14-43BC-B16B-99B5825C177E_jpe-2756039.JPG
View Quote
This for sure. I bought my engine hoist. It was $250 I think. I still use it often.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Personally, I'd hire a safe mover.  It doesn't cost much, they have the equipment and experience.  They protect your floors for heavy ones using plywood.

There was a time when this would be me and my buddies.  But the last couple times I needed a safe moved, I called a local company that sells safes to come do it, it was reasonable, and I also upgraded my lock while they were there (it often must be removed to get in doorways).  They drilled and bolted it to the floor as well.

This coming from a guy who does everything himself and hardly pays for any kind of service.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#24]
My dad is a locksmith and safe servicer. At 70 he still moves and installs everything by himself, and he's not particularly large (but he is strong, even at his age).

The trick is to take the door off.

Now you have places to grab and over half the weight is removed. Because of the shape/features on the door, it's easy to move by itself, and the safe body is much easier to work with when you have the door frame to grip. You might still have a friend come over but I had placed several safes myself using this method.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Is that a levitation device or a new razor?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
buddy (tractor dealer) got a bunch of extra space on a truck heading north years ago and the safe factory nextdoor was running a sale. i got a sweet liberty 36 gun for 400 bucks delivered to AK. arrived and was going ti put upstairs. drove in threshold of house using a bobcat and ope sling. then when we went to lift it up the stairs. So my downstairs kitchen had a 36 gun gunsafe in it.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
See if you can have a friend or neighbor help you take the door off while it is on its back and set it aside then you should be able to lift ithe body of the safe up and move it into the house then you can have them help you replace the door back on once the body is in its final position That's where most of the weight is. I leaned this when l moved from one house to another. Long story short despite having two family members helping me we couldn't get the safe out of the basement with a heavy dolly so l hired a moving service to do it. The first thing the guy did was pop off the door. He then literally moved it pretty much by himself in two parts with one other guy helping him very little. When l moved again I did this and was able to do it much easier. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I was able to stand up my 550 lb safe by myself at age 48. It was rough and at my limit, I used ov gloves to give me some grip.

My vote is 3 people should be able to do it pretty easily.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I moved a 600lb safe by myself using a couple scrap pieces of carpet. Tipped it to the side and slid it. Rolled it up one step and slid it down 2. Then another buddy and I slid it up the ramp into a trailer. Worked easier than I thought. That was 10 years ago. Now it would take another friend. But it’s doable for sure.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was able to get a 2x4 under the top so there is a good space for hands to get purchase.
View Quote

You're golden then.

A 700 pound safe doesn't feel like 700 pounds when you have a few hands.  It wont be that difficult you will find.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Have someone help remove the door. It's a lot of the weight. I moved mine by myself with a dolly. Took the door on one trip and the safe on another. It weighed 500 lbs
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Crowbars- long wrecking bars from Dewalt are what I like.  With a good crowbar or two for leverage you can easily lift something like that, put some cribbing under it, and keep on moving it up.  Keep the base contained while doing it so it does not slide away.  Or an engine hoist attached to the top bolt hole- which is literally there for moving the safe around at the factory.

Once upright, again the crowbars work wonders for moving them onto rollers, and a few 1” or so wooden dowel rods works for rolling it around.  I literally cut up a spare wooden shovel handle into 3 sections and used that.

Harbor freight furniture dollies can be used as well, especially if you use 2 of them, I used those on a 1000 lb door/frame, then used an engine hoist to get it upright, and crowbars to wiggle it into final position.  But the dowels should be fine for your safe.  I have moved a heavier one around by myself with just crowbars and dowels, it was pretty easy.  

<—— over 50 with a busted back from a nasty crash.  Have to work smarter (leverage) instead of harder (muscles)!
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#36]
That’s how I move heavy farm equipment by myself. Crowbar, wife stuff something under, repeat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Professional movers took 10 minutes to move it and they did even break a sweat. They had a powered dolly that did all the work. Cool piece of tech. Only cost $150. I gave them each a $20 for a good lunch. They were very happy. I will post pics later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Good deal man
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#39]
That was easy!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Professional movers took 10 minutes to move it and they did even break a sweat. They had a powered dolly that did all the work. Cool piece of tech. Only cost $150. I gave them each a $20 for a good lunch. They were very happy. I will post pics later.
View Quote

That's the way to do it.

One "uh oh" would cost a LOT more than that.  Every time I paid to have a safe moved, I felt it was some of the best money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's the way to do it.

One "uh oh" would cost a LOT more than that.  Every time I paid to have a safe moved, I felt it was some of the best money I ever spent.
View Quote

100% correct! It was indeed worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A cherry picker will work. Once you get it up past 60 or so degrees, gravity will take over.

As far as moving it.. Ive got the ticket for you!

Go to Home Depot and get some 1.5" diameter schedule 40 pvc pipe. Cut it into five equal length pieces 1.5 to 2 feet apart. Tilt the safe and push one underneath it. It will move on that single one, keep feeding until all five are under and as they start "popping" out, keep feeding them back under.

One man can move a safe.
View Quote
Yep, I did this with my safe.  I used steel pipe, but PVC would probably work on this non-too-heavy safe
As far as picking it up, just attach a come-along to it, attach other end to garage roof/ceiling structure, support that with a couple 2x4s down to the floor, and easily pull to upright with one person.
Your safe should have a hole in the top for screwing in an eyebolt.   If it doesn't, just put a heavy duty tow strap around the safe and lift with that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#43]
It’s a nice fit to the man cave.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
awesome!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top