Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 2:51:59 AM EDT
I see there is a special block to remove and press in a new front sight tower. Are they that difficult to remove? Can it be done without the special tool?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
They can be a pain depending on how tightly they are on there

They are also pretty thin right through where the pin would attach

Ive broken more than one getting them on and off
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
On a related, but also unrelated note:

I dropped my SP5 climbing up a ladder during a sub gun match. It landed on concrete exactly on the top of the front sight tower (about 2:00 and left a nasty gash)

Are these things on there pretty solid? I can't detect any play, but wanted to make sure there's no functional damage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
First you have to remove the sling pin. That may be peened or welded. You can grind that out with a Dremil or mount it in a mill and drill or mill the end of it off. You may be able to reuse it if you weld it back in, if you have to peen it, plan on buying a new one.

An arbor press and press plates are next. You can jury rig a plate, make one, or buy one. Here is a link to the plate:
RobertRTG.com
Pretty easy to make if you have a mill.

It is not a real tight press fit, the barrel has a radial knurl so pressing just cuts those radial grooves into the sight tower. Pressing one in is harder than pressing one out. Be sure to make witness marks before removing.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. Think I’ll pass on removing it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top