Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2018 5:15:53 PM EDT
Cleaning an AR with a Gemtech Trek attached, can't get it off, forgot to apply anti-seize a couple of years ago.

Anyway, was being careful, but went too far and a patch came off in there, how bad is it?  It is a small one, can't tell exactly where it is.  Not blocking the hole.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It will burn off after your put 50 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The silencer gods just smiled on me, I went back down a looked down the barrel again and now saw it obscured.  I took a cleaning rod and attached a copper wire brush and went in through the suppressor end and caught it and was able to force it out!  

BTW, I hate cleaning weapons after multiple range trips suppressed, wow, what a mess.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
There’s only like 3 chambers and they’re large. Shouldnt be too hard to find and get out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Switch to a bore snake, those work better than patches.

For your gas problem, try one of our Suppressed Bolt Carriers - shoots all the gas 90 degrees from the rifle out thru the ejection port, this keeps it out of your action.
Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier

Hope this helps?
Joey
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The silencer gods just smiled on me, I went back down a looked down the barrel again and now saw it obscured.  I took a cleaning rod and attached a copper wire brush and went in through the suppressor end and caught it and was able to force it out!  

BTW, I hate cleaning weapons after multiple range trips suppressed, wow, what a mess.  
Switch to a bore snake, those work better than patches.

For your gas problem, try one of our Suppressed Bolt Carriers - shoots all the gas 90 degrees from the rifle out thru the ejection port, this keeps it out of your action.
Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier

Hope this helps?
Joey
Might take a look at one, several of mine have adjustable blocks, but this one does not.  How well do the Suppressed Bolt Carriers hold up to hard use?

I was amazed at the amount of carbon build up on the bolt, I had to soak in CLP some and scrap with a copper brush, even had to use a pick in some places on them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
So, this brings up a question I've had for a little bit. Do most remove their suppressor when cleaning or just leave it on? I've got a can in the pipeline & it occurred to me that I've never actually thought about it
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, this brings up a question I've had for a little bit. Do most remove their suppressor when cleaning or just leave it on? I've got a can in the pipeline & it occurred to me that I've never actually thought about it
View Quote
I think it would depend on the suppressor.  If it is QD, should not be an issue.  The issue with this one is that it is direct thread and I forgot to put anti-seize on the threads, someday I try to get it off.  Really for me, though, it just means it won't back off when shooting and I love it on the rifle it is on, a 6920.

What suppressor are you getting?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it would depend on the suppressor.  If it is QD, should not be an issue.  The issue with this one is that it is direct thread and I forgot to put anti-seize on the threads, someday I try to get it off.  Really for me, though, it just means it won't back off when shooting and I love it on the rifle it is on, a 6920.

What suppressor are you getting?
View Quote
Ah I see, yeah it's a QD Griffin M4SDK, so it should have no trouble coming off. I just didn't know if guys were removing them every time for punching the bore or not. This was just one of the little things about owning a can, I never really thought about till I laid down the cash for one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You should not have to do anything with the can at all, just take it off when you clean, no need to run anything through the can.  Nice purchase!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Might take a look at one, several of mine have adjustable blocks, but this one does not.  How well do the Suppressed Bolt Carriers hold up to hard use?

I was amazed at the amount of carbon build up on the bolt, I had to soak in CLP some and scrap with a copper brush, even had to use a pick in some places on them.
View Quote
I put a Tin bcg in my suppressed ar this last weekend. All the junk wiped right off. Actually that’s a lies. Just spraying CLP on it blasted most of the junk off of it. One wipe down got the leftover. It was amazing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know the patch issue has been fixed...

But if it happens again, light one of those long fireplace matches and stick it down the silencer bore. The patch ought to light pretty quick and burn up, depending on what you're using as a cleaner.
View Quote
Huh, cool, hadn't ever thought of that.  I usually use CLP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top